smeeze

Frankie Montas 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

30 minutes ago, B&F said:

Half the league is on something

wikipedian_protester.png

I can think of hitters who had strong post-PED suspension years but no pitchers jump to mind, so even in keeper leaves he is looking risky I think, hard to justify burning that roster spot not knowing what his velo and stamina will look like when he comes back....

Ugh this is a huge blow.  Is there any chance he challenges it and gets away with it?  Like Ryan Braun and I think Chris Davis got away with one.  I don't want to drop him and have it bite me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbossman said:

From what I remember the first year after being caught the performance is solid but then it declines sharply

brb reaching for Montas next year

1 hour ago, B&F said:

SMH.  Half the league is on something and Frankie is caught.

Yeah, I know I own him too 😫

47 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Ugh this is a huge blow.  Is there any chance he challenges it and gets away with it?  Like Ryan Braun and I think Chris Davis got away with one.  I don't want to drop him and have it bite me.

No.

1 hour ago, Weekday Warrior said:

I can think of hitters who had strong post-PED suspension years but no pitchers jump to mind, so even in keeper leaves he is looking risky I think, hard to justify burning that roster spot not knowing what his velo and stamina will look like when he comes back....

The only thing PEDs would do for an arm was help them feel fresher over rigors of an mlb season.  It’s not a magic potion to make you have pin point command.  A lot of great pitchers of last 20 years are stick figures.  Pedro, Randy, Lincecum, Sale.  Pitchers don’t necessarily see a “performance” spike from juicing.  Could help aches and pains from pitching, but you don’t need to be a big meaty buff stud to be a good pitcher in Major League Baseball.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is so deflating.  His numbers were marvelous up to this point - a top 3 Cy Young candidate.  How do you replace someone like that?  And last night was pretty much the pinnacle (even without win #10).  

I’ll be hitting the bottle hard this evening.

Dunno about other platforms but Yahoo doesn't offer a place to put "suspended" players so would be wasting a roster spot all year. Hard to carry a zombie for half a season if you have anything to play for.

Interesting to see where he goes next year in redrafts. The split and slider are legit. If he losers a few mphs off the FB I think he still can be quite effective.

Edited by papasmurf

2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'm not saying whether you should or shouldn't believe him, but It's plausible he didn't knowingly take something he shouldn't.

Doesn't matter if he knew or not but my guess is they always know.  But even if not this time he is still an idiot.  No ball player should EVER buy any medicine or supplement on their own but always ALWAYS go through their team for those things.  I mean don't even by an aspirin on your own.  The penalties are way too high.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrBrown said:

No.  They wouldn't release the suspension publicly if he was still in appeals process.  Once a ballplayer gets suspended publicly that's it. Had he appealed it,  he'd still be active until it was resolved

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

The only thing PEDs would do for an arm was help them feel fresher over rigors of an mlb season.  It’s not a magic potion to make you have pin point command.  A lot of great pitchers of last 20 years are stick figures.  Pedro, Randy, Lincecum, Sale.  Pitchers don’t necessarily see a “performance” spike from juicing.  Could help aches and pains from pitching, but you don’t need to be a big meaty buff stud to be a good pitcher in Major League Baseball.  

Things like these I don’t feel should be banned substances. If they help you stay healthy rather than enchance your actual performance, why ban them? Of course you need to take into consideration other side effects and possible benefits but if all the drugs do are help a player stay healthy or relieve some aches and pains what’s the big deal?

FWIW I agree that, while it’s very possible he didn’t knowingly or purposefully take the banned substance, as a professional athlete, especially in today’s world, you should ALWAYS go through your team/the league when buying practically anything you consume. The consequences outweigh the convenience.

See Jon Jones UFC.

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

PEDs help. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Roger Clemens didn't take them to improve his hitting. 

Of the last 8 MLB players suspended for PEDs, 4 were pitchers. You can gain strength, endurance and you can train harder with the help of PEDs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Csiebert5 said:

Things like these I don’t feel should be banned substances. If they help you stay healthy rather than enchance your actual performance, why ban them? Of course you need to take into consideration other side effects and possible benefits but if all the drugs do are help a player stay healthy or relieve some aches and pains what’s the big deal?

FWIW I agree that, while it’s very possible he didn’t knowingly or purposefully take the banned substance, as a professional athlete, especially in today’s world, you should ALWAYS go through your team/the league when buying practically anything you consume. The consequences outweigh the convenience.

See Jon Jones UFC.

Staying healthy enough to continue pitching is an enhancement of performance.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, High&Inside said:

SARMS aren't anabolic so they're not technically steroids. They do however affect recovery time. Ostarine specifically can be beneficial for injury recovery, like tendon pain, which a pitcher deals with consistently.

Most have them had originally been created to deal with muscle wasting due to chemo treatment. They're technically still just research chemicals and still going through medical trials.

Spot-on. IMO better off taking RAD140. RAD140 makes the most sense because it can increase stamina a lot and the strength gains can be substantial. RAD140  hasn't been on the market as long, and one reason why SARMS in general are so popular with weight lifters, athletes and so on is because the few test and research done on SARMS seems to show a lot less side effects than roids, yet has many of the same benefits of a steroid.

28 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Staying healthy enough to continue pitching is an enhancement of performance.

In a sense yes, but it seems a bit picky to not allow athletes to enhance their health. There is nothing wrong with staying healthy. Not like there is taking an illegal substance as anabolic steroids to illegitimately get stronger and enhance performance that way. I get that health is a factor of performance, but not in the same sense as production I suppose.

23 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Spot-on. IMO better off taking RAD140. RAD140 makes the most sense because it can increase stamina a lot and the strength gains can be substantial. RAD140  hasn't been on the market as long, and one reason why SARMS in general are so popular with weight lifters, athletes and so on is because the few test and research done on SARMS seems to show a lot less side effects than roids, yet has many of the same benefits of a steroid.

I was trying to add this but took me too long so I will quote myself to add.

Give example of the SARM I'm talking about and the one Montas was caught using.

Rad140 Vs Ostarine

Ostarine is the most popular and successful product of SARM up till now. It is used for a wide range of fitness goals. Many athletes add Ostarine in their diet to improve their athletic performance and enhance their muscular look.

This compound is known for its amazing cutting abilities. It shreds your body fat super fast and leaves you with lean muscle mass. Its results are quite similar to those of anabolic steroids but without the side effects that come with them. This means that you don’t need to worry about damaging your liver or heart health. Also, it does not lead to issues like high blood pressure, gynecomastia, hair loss, acne, mood swings, and libido issues.

RAD 140 works quite similarly to Ostarine when it comes to fitness goals. It not only helps build lean muscle mass but also boosts strength levels significantly. Moreover, it is a great tool for cutting purposes and builds stamina. It can also be used to improve athletic performance.

However, this compound is slightly potent for the beginners so it is recommended that they should go for Ostarine first before trying RAD 140.

If your fitness goals include bulking then RAD 140 is definitely a better option because it is more powerful than Ostarine in this case. You can expect to gain significant lean muscle mass within 8 to 12 weeks of cycle. However, results will vary across individuals but everybody will see considerable increases in their lean muscle mass with RAD 140.

This compound lacks androgenic effects which is a good thing because you don’t need to worry about issues like gynecomastia, hair loss, acne, liver toxicity, and high blood pressure etc.

The cutting results for RAD 140 and Ostarine are quite similar. However, RAD 140 does a better job when it comes to maintaining stubborn muscles and strength levels during the cutting phase. This is basically due to the high anabolic ratio of this compound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

In a sense yes, but it seems a bit picky to not allow athletes to enhance their health. There is nothing wrong with staying healthy. Not like there is taking an illegal substance as anabolic steroids to illegitimately get stronger and enhance performance that way. I get that health is a factor of performance, but not in the same sense as production I suppose.

Agreed.  I’m not expert enough to know to what extent a drug like Ostarine (not an anabolic steroid) is damaging to one’s health, but I defer to those who both researched the facts and made a decision based on them.

• Like 2

Montas was cut in a keeper league of mine with no DL, no NA, no SSPD. Because I have a rebuilding team, I decided to pick him up since I can own him through 2023. Not trying to be CSB, but just trying to give the reason for owning him at this point. What are the expectations for Montas next year? I've never owned, nor really paid attention to a pitcher returning from a PED suspension. So I'm not sure what to expect from him in 2020. 

[...] In certain leagues he's strongly desirable for to keep for next year, but it's hard to slot him as your 6th-8th keeper if you keep that many regardless of salary or draft round implications.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Rejoining the team next week.  Not sure if he will start at all or not, but his suspension ends in time for him to pitch on Wednesday.  Since he's not eligible for the postseason of course and with it being the final week, I highly doubt he starts.  Or at least not as anything more than an opener.  If they used him as a bulk reliever, then he could have sneaky value in the final week, but there's nothing that I know of from the team that has stated how they plan to use him for the final few days.

• Thanks 2

Pretty impressive return after the PED.

What are we expecting for next year?

I think the breakout's legit and he pitches in a favorite home park and in front of a pretty good team.