Sign in to follow this  
Nightmare130

Ryan Yarbrough 2019 Outlook

Didn't see a thread for him in the index so here we go.

Was a "bulk" guy last year (guy after opener) and amassed 16 wins.

Wins are tough to predict and are somewhat of an opportunity stat.

Ryan Yarborough enters after the opener and only needs to pick up the equivalent of a hold to get a win.

I think there's value there but it's tough to know which day the start him. I think he goes today.

[Thread title corrected -- please check the spelling of players' names before making a thread.  Thanks.]

52 minutes ago, Nightmare130 said:

Didn't see a thread for him in the index so here we go.

Was a "bulk" guy last year (guy after opener) and amassed 16 wins.

Wins are tough to predict and are somewhat of an opportunity stat.

Ryan Yarborough enters after the opener and only needs to pick up the equivalent of a hold to get a win.

I think there's value there but it's tough to know which day the start him. I think he goes today.

Yes, he's going today. 

2 hours ago, Mongeese said:

How do people know what Rays are pitching when?

I have him in a couple IP cap leagues. Just starting him any time the Rays are not starting Snell, Glasnow or Morton and hoping for a good Win/IP ratio.

Unless you have six closers in one of the Yahoo leagues that start 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P, it seems like he's a good candidate for one of those 4 P slots...just stick him in there and leave him. 

He seems to thrive in this whatever-you-call-it role. His numbers in this relief-of-the-opener role last year was quite a bit better than his numbers as a SP...chopped a full run off his ERA, strikeout rate jumped more than a K/IP, gave up fewer hits per 9 (walk rate and HR rate did increase, however). 

His first outing yesterday looks good from a numbers standpoint, but I have no idea how he actually looked to the eye. 

Looked solid yesterday against a bad Indians lineup. Picked him up to stream but might hold on to him if he sticks in the rotation. Anything to see here?

I am not sure I like this guy that much if he's just a regular starter and not doing the bulk role.

Taking a wait and see approach for now. (If he goes back to the bulk role, I might pick him up.)

He has another juicy matchup at home against the Blue Jays next week, I'll probably hold through then and see how he does. Rays always seem to get the most out of their pitchers.

4 minutes ago, absmoke said:

He has another juicy matchup at home against the Blue Jays next week, I'll probably hold through then and see how he does. Rays always seem to get the most out of their pitchers.

Good to know. If they just let him start vs these bottom tier teams, then use him as a bulk guy vs better lineups, it might actually work better for them in the long run than just using him strictly as one or the other.

Not sure how that strategy would translate fantasy-wise. Could be good for an ample amount of cheap wins. On my radar, for sure.

I have to pick up streamers for this week, and there is a maximum numbers of starters I can pitch a week. Is there anyway to try to assess whether he will start or be a bulk guy tomorrow vs the Jays?

Just now, weisberg26 said:

I have to pick up streamers for this week, and there is a maximum numbers of starters I can pitch a week. Is there anyway to try to assess whether he will start or be a bulk guy tomorrow vs the Jays?

Chirinos is starting the game Tomorrow... Yarbrough won’t be in

6 minutes ago, weisberg26 said:

Sorry I meant Tuesday 

CBS has him listed as the starter for Tuesday.  Whether or not they decide to throw Stanek in front of him between now and then I can't answer.  He did pitch as a traditional starter on Thursday.

Yarbrough is being used as the primary pitcher/bulk reliever tomorrow behind Ryan Stanek. For those who may have been wondering.

• Like 1

Marc Topkin‏Verified account @TBTimes_Rays 

#Rays will start Yarbrough on Saturday vs. #WhiteSox

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GratefulPhan said:

Could be a legit awesome second half add for a lot of teams.

Why?  Not disagreeing. Not trying to be difficult. Just curious,  I streamed him and am wondering if I should just keep him since streamers have been getting torched.  I don’t see anything stuff wise, or from his past numbers including the minors the would suggest anything “awesome”.  Am I missing something?

9 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Why?  Not disagreeing. Not trying to be difficult. Just curious,  I streamed him and am wondering if I should just keep him since streamers have been getting torched.  I don’t see anything stuff wise, or from his past numbers including the minors the would suggest anything “awesome”.  Am I missing something?

Decent stuff, good team, depending on size of your league I think it's fine to hold on. I'm going to in my 12 teamer. I don't think he'll win you your league, but finding a pitcher that can consistently go 6IP and get wins is nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last 30 days...

24.1 ip

15 h

3 er

2 bb

22 k

3 w

1.11 era

0.70 whip

Edited by GratefulPhan
add to post.
  • Like 2

Yahoo is now showing him as starting against Seattle on Sunday.

Anyone confirm this? Seattle has been tough on lefties at home lately, but if Yarbrough is going to start seeing regular starts I'm interested.