Sign in to follow this  
Nightmare130

Ryan Yarbrough 2019 Outlook

He averages less than 5 IP per outing; the Rays would have 1-2 less innings to get in front; they'd have to hold any lead built up while he was in an extra 1-2 innings. Wins would take a big step back with more starts. Not to mention he'd have to earn those extra 1-2 innings against the 1-6 hitters on any given night. More starts are bad news; hopefully this changes or is a one-off.

Really hope they let him get through the 5th cuz his real value is wins, but if he is starting and only going 4ish innings he is effectively useless and will be wasting precious innings towards my innings limit

33 minutes ago, Suns13 said:

Really hope they let him get through the 5th cuz his real value is wins, but if he is starting and only going 4ish innings he is effectively useless and will be wasting precious innings towards my innings limit

He has started 5 games this year:

7/20: 6.0IP, PC 75

6/13: 6.0IP, PC 90

6/8: 7.2IP, PC 110

6/2: 7.0IP, PC 92

5/23: 7.1IP, PC 99

Not saying it is guaranteed he'll go at least 5IP if he starts, but it doesn't seem TB limits him when he does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

43 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

He averages less than 5 IP per outing; the Rays would have 1-2 less innings to get in front; they'd have to hold any lead built up while he was in an extra 1-2 innings. Wins would take a big step back with more starts. Not to mention he'd have to earn those extra 1-2 innings against the 1-6 hitters on any given night. More starts are bad news; hopefully this changes or is a one-off.

Yarbrough hasn't pitched less than six innings in any game he's started this season, totaling 34 innings across 5 starts. He's 2-2 in those games, with three QS. As a starter this year, he holds a 3.97 ERA with a 6.4 K/9 and a WHIP of .85, allowing an AVG of .205 and a wOBA of .254. The vast majority of any damage during those games came to him against the Twins and Angels, when he gave up seven and five runs across seven and six innings, respectively. In those five games, his K/BB ratio is 24/4 and his FIP is 3.66

As a reliever, he's a little bit better... but not night and day. Across 56 innings in bulk mode, he holds a 3.86 ERA with a K/9 of 7.4 and a WHIP of 1.05. His AVG allowed and wOBA against are actually higher in the bulk role, at .227 and .268, and his walks increase very slightly. His FIP during these innings is 3.5. His xFIP is only .04 lower as a bulk reliever, at 4.16.   

Not everyone plays in leagues with wins as a category– I need QS. If he's going to be getting the chance to start more games, I think he's easily as good as anyone on my crappy waiver wire right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/9/2019 at 9:47 AM, kelle1sa said:

He has started 5 games this year:

7/20: 6.0IP, PC 75

6/13: 6.0IP, PC 90

6/8: 7.2IP, PC 110

6/2: 7.0IP, PC 92

5/23: 7.1IP, PC 99

Not saying it is guaranteed he'll go at least 5IP if he starts, but it doesn't seem TB limits him when he does.

This is great stuff. Thanks! Also, Seattle has been very bad on offense lately and are one of the best teams to stream against. Although, if TB is going to keep him in the rotation rather than bulking him until Snell comes back I think I’ll be holding him rather than just streaming. 

Yarborough pitched one hell of a game today! 8 2/3 innings allowing just 3 base runners while issuing no walks and striking out 8 for the win. Too bad he couldn’t go one more batter for the complete game shutout but his pitch count had reached 99. I think you should get him now if he’s still out there given they may give him more starts while waiting for Snell and Yonny to return. Heck, they could keep him in the rotation ros given how well he did today and throughout the season as a starter. 

I think the guy deserves a full rotation spot. After a disastrous March/April, he's thrown 82 innings...producing 9 wins, a 2.63 era, 0.82 whip, only 9 walks and 64 k. Those are crazy good numbers. He's had mixed results in his six starts, but as a starter he's produced a 3.16 era and 0.75 whip in 42.2 innings. 

• Like 2

I think at the very least he deserves to keep starting until Snell and Yonny come back. They need someone other than Morton to rely on to keep them in the wild card race. 

• Like 1

So he needed one out to get the CGSO @ 99 pitches? Man! I missed out on 15 more points.-  41 will do but 56 would've been sweeter! I know he's been tied up in this bulk pitching most of the season.

• Like 1

Did he even break a sweat navigating through that hideous lineup?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

Yarborough pitched one hell of a game today! 8 2/3 innings allowing just 3 base runners while issuing no walks and striking out 8 for the win. Too bad he couldn’t go one more batter for the complete game shutout but his pitch count had reached 99. I think you should get him now if he’s still out there given they may give him more starts while waiting for Snell and Yonny to return. Heck, they could keep him in the rotation ros given how well he did today and throughout the season as a starter. 

He could have very easily gone one more batter.  He wasn't laboring at all, so there was no reason for Cash to take him out.  I think his arm would have survived a handful more pitches.  The fact that Cash got booed when he did at the other team's park says it all.

With that said, obviously it was a terrific performance regardless and I agree with everything else you said.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

He could have very easily gone one more batter.  He wasn't laboring at all, so there was no reason for Cash to take him out.  I think his arm would have survived a handful more pitches.  The fact that Cash got booed when he did at the other team's park says it all.

With that said, obviously it was a terrific performance regardless and I agree with everything else you said.

Oh for sure. I wasn’t saying it was justified to take him out, just that he was at 99 pitches when Cash pulled him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

Oh for sure. I wasn’t saying it was justified to take him out, just that he was at 99 pitches when Cash pulled him. 

and no walks 😍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSkibisky said:

and no walks 😍

That’s one of the things making him so successful this season. In 96.2 innings he’s only walked 13 batters. That’s pretty damn good. 

• Like 1

Haven't paid much attention to him, but that was a start:

FA- he's gotta be pinpoint with command because he sits 89 MPH, threw 20--14 strikes with 9 swings and 1 whiff..it has some very good double action movement at least

CH- straight filthy with absurdly good double plus action on it, threw 18--16 strikes with 13 swings and 5 whiffs...sits 80 MPH

SL- heavy spin action, sits 72 MPH, so almost curve territory...spun 24--15 strikes with 7 hacks and 3 whiffs

FC- cut job pretty high quality from what I saw, sits 85 MPH, so good spot on his velo spectrum, tossed 37--28 strikes with 16 swings and 4 whiffs

Zone plots showed way too many over the heart, so likely was quite lucky here, still did a fair amount of painting though too, many in the zone were missed...

• Like 2

It's a shame they couldn't score a run until the 13th.  They came close to getting shutout by Detroit two games in a row, which is quite embarrassing.  Yarbrough definitely deserved another Win after another great performance.  There's still the great stats at least (including his career high 10 K's).

He gets another nice matchup next (Baltimore, even if it is in Baltimore) before being a bench candidate in his start after (Houston in Houston).  He gets Baltimore again after that though, so he still should continue to be quite a steal for the most part.

• Like 1

With the way he is pitching right now, he is a must-start irrespective of the opponent. It's just an added bonus that he gets the lowly orioles 2 of his next 3 starts

What is the consensus against Houston today?  I am inclined to bench since its the Astros but this guy is on absolute fire...

16 minutes ago, RotoMaster said:

What is the consensus against Houston today?  I am inclined to bench since its the Astros but this guy is on absolute fire...

Absolute sit for me.

Starting tonight. He’s been on fire and Morton has been bad lately.  Not gonna let last night deter me 

4 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

Starting tonight. He’s been on fire and Morton has been bad lately.  Not gonna let last night deter me 

what does Morton have to do with anything? Cole is pitching tonight, so don't expect a W, and the chances of a QS against the hottest team in baseball doesn't look too promising. I am sitting tonight, but good luck

Edited by MSkibisky

I am sitting this one out tonight boys. Not an indictment on Yarbrough as there are only a handful of pitchers I'd play against houston with the way they are hitting.

That being said, if Yarbrough can put up a quality performance tonight, it's time to recognize him as an Ace. That sounds crazy to say but all the numbers back him up as being elite.

Edited by NoHablaIngles

1 minute ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I am sitting this one out tonight boys. Not an indictment on Yarbrough as there are only a handful of pitchers I'd play against houston with the way they are hitting.

That being said, if Yarbrough can put up a quality performance tonight, it's time to recognize him as an Ace. That sounds crazy to say but all the numbers back him up as being elite.

yeah, he has been stellar. Just wish his k/9 would increase