Stonej14

Lamar Jackson 2019 Outlook

7 starts

1200 passing yards 6 TDs 3 ints

695 rushing yards 5 tds

Should we look at him as an RB that passes or as a qb that runs. And either way how should we rank him?

11 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

7 starts

1200 passing yards 6 TDs 3 ints

695 rushing yards 5 tds

Should we look at him as an RB that passes or as a qb that runs. And either way how should we rank him?

He's a qb who runs and if your league gives more points for rushing than passing yds, he is golden if ou factor in his ability to throw or run for a td.

What hurts the Ravens ad his passing production is they have no credible wr's to stretch the field.  . .oh wait.  .Snead is there 😝

I don't rank him I'm just going to try and steal him as a late rd QB given I dont pay a premium for QB's and take what's left on the board or the waiver.

Edited by dashoe

There's still a draft to fill in those WR holes on the depth chart, but the Ravens also lost a ton of production on defense in free agency, so there's no guarantee they even improve the weapons.    

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

There's still a draft to fill in those WR holes on the depth chart, but the Ravens also lost a ton of production on defense in free agency, so there's no guarantee they even improve the weapons.    

Rookie wrs dont usually produce. That year with Evan's, odell, Benjamin, was an extreme outlier. So I dont know if lamar gets much help from wrs and a worse defense means the offense will have to score more. I feel like if his passing game improves just a little and even if his rushing game decreases hes gotta still be a late round steal right?

• Like 1

Anything's possible here I guess.   He could be RG3.........or he could be RG3, if you know what I mean

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Anything's possible here I guess.   He could be RG3.........or he could be RG3, if you know what I mean

I think he'll just end up playing WR and in on gadget plays etc. Would be shocked if he works out as a starting QB.

34 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Rookie wrs dont usually produce. That year with Evan's, odell, Benjamin, was an extreme outlier. 

Just last year, Ridley was top 20. I'm not going back further than that, but rookie WRs produce all the time.

36 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Just last year, Ridley was top 20. I'm not going back further than that, but rookie WRs produce all the time.

65 catches for 800 yards isnt exactly tearing the league up. But your right every year there is a rookie who is fantasy relevant (amrai cooper, juju) but there are like 25 rookie wrs every year and only 1 to 2 guys become top 20 fantasy players and there closer to the 20th. So if the ravens get lucky and get that 1 rookie that's the 20th best I still dont think that's gonna make lamar Jackson the next peyton manning yanno. 

But compare the rookie wrs to RBS. In the last few years we've had hunt saquon lindsay Kamara Gurley fournette zeke howard chubb who were studs. Absolute studs. These guys win leagues 19th best wr usually doesnt make or break a team. 

43 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

65 catches for 800 yards isnt exactly tearing the league up. But your right every year there is a rookie who is fantasy relevant (amrai cooper, juju) but there are like 25 rookie wrs every year and only 1 to 2 guys become top 20 fantasy players and there closer to the 20th. So if the ravens get lucky and get that 1 rookie that's the 20th best I still dont think that's gonna make lamar Jackson the next peyton manning yanno. 

Thanks for the extra examples. Seems like you agree with me.

Rookie RBs have a bigger impact than WRs. I do agree with that statement. But plenty of rookie WRs are productive their first year. You said they weren't.

This guy simply can’t make enough throws at the NFL level to be a good QB. His playmaking ability as far as scrambling and extending plays is exciting, but when you can’t make the throws it is all for naught. He seems like (young) Michael Vick lite. He’ll get his rushing yards, but I wouldn’t depend on this guy at all on a week to week basis.

30 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Thanks for the extra examples. Seems like you agree with me.

Rookie RBs have a bigger impact than WRs. I do agree with that statement. But plenty of rookie WRs are productive their first year. You said they weren't.

From a fantasy perspective rookie wr's are not productive because their play is inconsistent and extremely unpredictable. Sure u get that 1 guy every season who is fantasy relevant but the majority of rookie wr's are playing behind vets, get limited targets are not the focus of the passing game week to week. Ridley looked like a must own stud first 4 games and then he became waiver fodder, MVS looked like the must own waiver pickup with cobb+geronimo out, had a few good games and then fizzled, DJ Moore looked like he was going to dominate and then Cam couldnt throw, callaway looked like a target hog and he faded, hamilton ready to boom but he busted

So sure a few are productive in real world NFL but fantasy wise most are lottery picks, bye week fillers and flex at the best.  

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

From a fantasy perspective rookie wr's are not productive because their play is inconsistent and extremely unpredictable. Sure u get that 1 guy every season who is fantasy relevant but the majority of rookie wr's are playing behind vets, get limited targets are not the focus of the passing game week to week. Ridley looked like a must own stud first 4 games and then he became waiver fodder, MVS looked like the must own waiver pickup with cobb+geronimo out, had a few good games and then fizzled, DJ Moore looked like he was going to dominate and then Cam couldnt throw, callaway looked like a target hog and he faded, hamilton ready to boom but he busted

So sure a few are productive in real world NFL but fantasy wise most are lottery picks, bye week fillers and flex at the best.  

If you say so. Agree to disagree.

37 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

This guy simply can’t make enough throws at the NFL level to be a good QB. His playmaking ability as far as scrambling and extending plays is exciting, but when you can’t make the throws it is all for naught. He seems like (young) Michael Vick lite. He’ll get his rushing yards, but I wouldn’t depend on this guy at all on a week to week basis.

Young michael Vick is a darn good comparison. But it seems that Harbaugh is much more willing to pander the offense to lamar unlike coaches were with Vick. Guys kept trying to turn Vick into a pocket passer and he clearly wasn't. Jackson succeeded in college as a passer, much more successful that vick was. I'd say lamar is better passer and rusher than Vick. (Even vick says that) and with a coach who is willing to construct an offense to his strengths I think we could see a 1000 yard rusher at qb and 3000 yards passing as an ceiling but his floor could be embarrassing.

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

If you say so. Agree to disagree.

You can disagree given your opinion but I will stick with the facts that for fantasy purposes rookies are basically unreliable, unpredictable and are at best a flex/bye week pick

Rookies in top 50

#22 Calvin Ridley 206 pts (90pts in  first  4 games)        
#36 DJ Moore  157pts     (70pts over 4 consecutive games) 
#50 Courtland Sutton 136 pts  (37pts in 2 games)         

As you can see  Ridley and Moore got close to 50% of their points in a literal handful of games and Sutton was consistenly underwhelming in his fantasy production 👀

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

You can disagree given your opinion but I will stick with the facts that for fantasy purposes rookies are basically unreliable, unpredictable and are at best a flex/bye week pick

Rookies in top 50

As you can see  Ridley and Moore got close to 50% of their points in a literal handful of games and Sutton was consistenly underwhelming in his fantasy production 👀

Ridley had over 20% of his points in one game last year, so it’s even more extreme then it looks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

10 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Rookies in top 50

Looks like production to me. People just keep giving examples that prove my point.

Edited by dmb3684

Just now, dmb3684 said:

Looks like production to me. People just keep giving examples that prove my point.

How about Every NFL player makes a contribution to the team, so we now cover all of the bases?  🤣

He's good in leagues that have 4pt passing TDs. I still wouldn't reach for him because realistically there is a chance they bench him and give up on him if he's having a rough year.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:17 PM, dashoe said:

How about Every NFL player makes a contribution to the team, so we now cover all of the bases?  🤣

Yes. Agreed.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:14 AM, dmb3684 said:

Let's not confuse individual examples with overall trends.

- yes there are productive rookie WRs

- but 90% of rookie WRs don't produce, including first rounders. 

So you may get lucky, but it's not a percentage play.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why this is even a discussion, much less so in the thread of a guy who is neither a WR nor a rookie.

On topic: if Lamar can get dual RB/QB status, I'm in ;)

Edited by Boudewijn

In redraft take this guy and Josh Allen in leagues that reward rushing yards more than passing yards in the late rounds and call it a day.

• Thanks 1

He totally stinks as an NFL QB but his ability to run for 1st downs in the open field will get my K, Tucker a lot of FG chances as long as the D holds up. Once the D falters, this guy's suckage will be on full display because he's no Baker Mayfield. He cannot pass the team down the field for TDs.

13 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Let's not confuse individual examples with overall trends.

- yes there are productive rookie WRs

- but 90% of rookie WRs don't produce, including first rounders. 

So you may get lucky, but it's not a percentage play.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why this is even a discussion, much less so in the thread of a guy who is neither a WR nor a rookie.

On topic: if Lamar can get dual RB/QB status, I'm in ;)

Is that possible for QB/RB designation?! I feel like that would be unfair

Just now, bhawks489 said:

Is that possible for QB/RB designation?! I feel like that would be unfair

That would be insanely unfair, but I like unfair, as long as it favors me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1