Stonej14

Lamar Jackson 2019 Outlook

37 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Never feel bad about reaches like this. I reach for almost every pick and get trolled for it on the regular, always end up with a solid season at the end🤷‍♂️

Totally agree.  Gotta go with your gut.  I’m not sure I would’ve taken Jackson in the 7th if I knew I would have to pull the trigger that early, but I honestly didn’t expect him to go as early as he did so I didn’t consider it.  I think he will be a really fun player to have on your team, whether or not he lives up to that ADP.  He absolutely has the potential to have a Vick-in-his-prime type explosion this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Never feel bad about reaches like this. I reach for almost every pick and get trolled for it on the regular, always end up with a solid season at the end🤷‍♂️

I agree 100%. I get the whole "value" thing, but if you are constantly trying to get the best value, I feel like you will have a hard time drafting the guys you want (based on anticipated performance instead of just getting the most bang for your buck so to speak).  Reaching for a guy you think will do really well certainly won't make or break your draft/season, finding those later round gems is what matters the most.

• Like 2

I reached big time and took him at the beginning of the 5th in my 2 QB league as the 6th QB off the board. Could not risk to lose him. I think he is up for a great year and he only needs to stay healthy.

i really hope he hits for all of you - best of luck!

... that being said - i think he's gonna let a ton of folks down thus season, most notably Harbaugh. 

his passing barely improved over the course of last season, and i dig that he's had this 2019 offense tailored to his strengths, and that he's had all off season to acclimate.  i get it.  

just not a believer in this cat to do anything more than dazzke with his wheels, which will give you a solid floor, no question. 

but i see no ceiling. 

hell, the kid further up North in Buffalo impresses me more, and can be had a ton cheaper - he also was highest scoring qb from week 11 on last year. 

so, yeah ... godspeed, fellas - hope Lamar spikes for ya, but i'm OUT on this kid. 

7 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

... that being said - i think he's gonna let a ton of folks down thus season, most notably Harbaugh. 

his passing barely improved over the course of last season, and i dig that he's had this 2019 offense tailored to his strengths, and that he's had all off season to acclimate.  i get it.  

just not a believer in this cat to do anything more than dazzke with his wheels, which will give you a solid floor, no question. 

but i see no ceiling. 

hell, the kid further up North in Buffalo impresses me more, and can be had a ton cheaper - he also was highest scoring qb from week 11 on last year. 

so, yeah ... godspeed, fellas - hope Lamar spikes for ya, but i'm OUT on this kid. 

The difference between the two are the teams they play for.  Ravens were #1 in plays per game last year.  The rb situation in Bal is also better i think.  Coaching staff is better.

I agree its a coin toss, but most are in mid to late rounds.

Edited by Zangief80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

but i see no ceiling. 

Just remember: you are wrong about Lamar...

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/you-are-wrong-about-lamar-jackson/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

best case scenario, if he is successful, is in the qb 12-15 range ... i can live with being wrong given that ceiling.  

18 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

best case scenario, if he is successful, is in the qb 12-15 range ... i can live with being wrong given that ceiling.  

If you think that is his ceiling, then you have no idea what you are talking about.  And the fact that you admit that you like Josh Allen, whose fantasy value is predicated on the same exact skillset as Lamar (rushing ability), and you hate on Lamar...then there is not much as anyone can tell you.

21 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

His best case scenario is top 4

2 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

If you think that is his ceiling, then you have no idea what you are talking about.  And the fact that you admit that you like Josh Allen, whose fantasy value is predicated on the same exact skillset as Lamar (rushing ability), and you hate on Lamar...then there is not much as anyone can tell you.

i saw Josh Allen lead the league in magick foosball QB points through the latter stages of last season (last 7 weeks) ... sooo, ya wanna rethink that stance a bit?

and stop using this "HATE ON" bullchit ... ferchrissakes, it's pathetic to hear a grown arse man use that term. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, yanksman said:

His best case scenario is top 4

greatly beg to differ ... but we shall see soon enough.

9 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i saw Josh Allen lead the league in magick foosball QB points through the latter stages of last season (last 7 weeks) ... sooo, ya wanna rethink that stance a bit?

and stop using this "HATE ON" bullchit ... ferchrissakes, it's pathetic to hear a grown arse man use that term. 

Please enlighten us - why do you like Josh Allen but not Lamar Jackson?

Josh Allen can certainly run the ball but Lamar Jackson has elite rushing ability - everyone knows this.

Both guys give a safe fantasy floor given their running ability but I'll go with the guy who has had the playbook built 100% around his skillset and coached by Greg Roman who helped Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor to their best fantasy seasons in their career.

Josh Allen may have a bigger arm but he is also wildly inaccurate.  Small sample size but Lamar had a 58% completion % to Allen's 52.  Allen also threw more INTs than TDs last season but he was propped up due to his running.  Lamar is the exact same fantasy player

Both teams really beefed up their offensive weapons to help out both QBs.

BAL - Drafted Hollywood Brown, Myles Boykins and Justice Hill.  They also still have Snead and Marc Andrews is a rising star.

BUF - Added John Brown and Cole Beasley

Lamar's ADP is about 106 with Allen coming in at 134.  You are certainly not losing your fantasy league if neither of these guys hit but give me the guy who has an entire offseason with the 1st unit and a OC in Greg Roman who knows who to utilize his strengths.

It is just not logical to like Josh Allen's fantasy game and then not believe in Lamar's because they are basically the SAME.

Edited by ludawg23

Nobody expected Allen to run as much as he did last year. It was expected for Lamar. We'll see if Allen runs that much this year. 

44 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

He could be a leeg-winner: don’t discount him in the later rounds.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Please enlighten us - why do you like Josh Allen but not Lamar Jackson?

Josh Allen can certainly run the ball but Lamar Jackson has elite rushing ability - everyone knows this.

Both guys give a safe fantasy floor given their running ability but I'll go with the guy who has had the playbook built 100% around his skillset and coached by Greg Roman who helped Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor to their best fantasy seasons in their career.

Josh Allen may have a bigger arm but he is also wildly inaccurate.  Small sample size but Lamar had a 58% completion % to Allen's 52.  Allen also threw more INTs than TDs last season but he was propped up due to his running.  Lamar is the exact same fantasy player

Both teams really beefed up their offensive weapons to help out both QBs.

BAL - Drafted Hollywood Brown, Myles Boykins and Justice Hill.  They also still have Snead and Marc Andrews is a rising star.

BUF - Added John Brown and Cole Beasley

Lamar's ADP is about 106 with Allen coming in at 134.  You are certainly not losing your fantasy league if neither of these guys hit but give me the guy who has an entire offseason with the 1st unit and a OC in Greg Roman who knows who to utilize his strengths.

It is just not logical to like Josh Allen's fantasy game and then not believe in Lamar's because they are basically the SAME.

impressive stuff, kudos 👍

bur, i gotta ask ... are you Lamar's agent? his Momma? wait, are you actually Lamar himself??!?

tell ya what, sporto ... i am 1000% certain Allen outscores this cat this season ... PM me and we'll chuck a sizable wager down - money where the mouth is.  ball's in your court. 

as for the rest of you, i already wished you luck, and said i hope it works out for you and him.   simple enuff. 

see you all at the finish line. 

If you're a Lamar believer, do you take another QB earlier and treat Lamar like a sleeper (or play matchups), or do you only take Lamar and play the waiver wire if he flops?  QB is so deep this year you can get a Sam Darnold or Jimmy Garappolo on the waiver and not kill your team.

LJ won't start the year as my QB1, but he very well could be by mid season.

He'll be cheap in your draft/auction and is worth sitting on and watching.

For example, if he puts up 200/1, and 75rushing in an average game, that puts him at 10pts per game in my league.

10pts per game would be QB #6 in my league.  Mahomes was #1 at 14.19pts/game in our scoring format.

You toss in a TD rush or another TD pass to that baseline and he's either a close 2nd to Mahomes' last year stats, or he's easily #1 with a Rush TD.

That's worth a 12th round pick or a $1 in an auction in my book.  But that's why they play the games.  It'll be interesting for sure.

20 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

If you're a Lamar believer, do you take another QB earlier and treat Lamar like a sleeper (or play matchups), or do you only take Lamar and play the waiver wire if he flops?  QB is so deep this year you can get a Sam Darnold or Jimmy Garappolo on the waiver and not kill your team.

I took Goff then Jackson a couple rounds later. The good thing is that We will know within the first couple games whether Jackson is the real deal or not. I think Goff is underrated and love him as my fall back steady guy. Waiting to grab Prescott may be even better than taking Goff earlier.

Edited by mongidig
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mongidig said:

I took Goff then Jackson a couple rounds later. The good thing is that We will know within the first couple games whether Jackson is the real deal or not. I think Goff is underrated and love him as my fall back steady guy. Waiting to grab Prescott may be even better than taking Goff earlier.

I took Goff and lamar as well

4 minutes ago, yanksman said:

I took Goff and lamar as well

I think that's a great combo. If Cooper Kupp stay's healthy and Gurley doesn't vulture all the TD's Goff could be huge. He should be steady no matter what. Jackson actually has a very nice floor so it's worth gambling on his upside.

look fellas, let's get some clarity here ...

for those of you riding him as qb1 on your rosters, i can really dig it ... it's ballsy, and ballsy wins 'chips - i have never won a gotDAMN thing up in this gig by playing it safe - so i am all aboard on hitchin' yer wagons to a risky prop and saying "frig it, we going BIG!!!1!11!"

folks who draft strictly by rote or VBD or ADP are a sorry lot, imo ...  slaves to touts and tea leave readers and gypsies and blowhards and charlatans and Matthew Berry.   that ain't the drafting life for me. 

when you do draft robotically, it becomes a war of attrition, because you expect your selections to do well, given their pedigree/adp/etc ... when they hang up a DUD it's much more crushing because of the capital and expectations. 

but when YOUR spec guy hits, it's like scoring a longshot at the track - that's what i'm talking about, ya follow?  that spirit of doing it your way, damn the torpedoes!

oh, and if they bust or flop? ok, well ... i'd rather have gambled and lost than to never have gambled at all. 

so i see the m.o. here, and i'm going to employ the same strategy in my last two drafts .... just that im'ma snag $$$$$MoneyMitch$$$$$ or Allen instead of Lamar ... so i'm with ya in spirit, just not in flesh. 

now, i never said this kid sucked, or was gonna be a COLOSSAL flop ... just that i think he disappoints - can he be an efficient game manager with a great floor? absolutely.  can he lead the RatBirds to the playoffs? of course, he already did. 

i just don't see him progressing or growing to the point where he vaults himself into the "elite" convo, neither in real life nor fantasy (aka "MAGICK")  - the passing mechanics are borderline jigh school. that's what i see.  

again, best of luck chaps!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think Lamar CAN be a top 5 QB this year but no way would i take him as my only QB. With Qb so deep theres no need to do so anyway. Pair him with another solid QB.

3 minutes ago, yanksman said:

I think Lamar CAN be a top 5 QB this year but no way would i take him as my only QB. With Qb so deep theres no need to do so anyway. Pair him with another solid QB.

no one said ONLY, i said your qb1 - big difference.