Stallion

Matt Boyd 2019 Outlook

21 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think they could give a better package than the Yankees even without these two.  Seth Beer could be a pretty major piece of it.  He is most probably a better offer than Clint Frazier long term.

I agree with this. Beer is an extremely nice bat, even if he's going to be 1B/DH only. Guy is absolutely crushing, has good K and BB rates, hasn't missed a beat in AA.

They have lots of low key nice specs, really. Even when Yordan was mashing he was (inexplicably) left off of many top 100 charts. Beer, likewise, isn't on the top 100, but he's probably a top 20 bat in the minors.

Myles Straw will never be the kind of guy that ranks highly, but he has a good hit tool and walks and has incredible speed. Even in spotty PT in Houston this year  (62 PA) he has hit .288 and swiped 5 bags (only 13 K in that span vs 10 BB).

Abraham Toro is a great looking bat too. 22 in AA, batting .303 with 13 HR, 4 3B, 14 2B and 65:41 K:BB in 345 PA. 4 steals on top of it.

Plus arms like Ivey, Solomon, Martin, Abreu... yeah, I mean, a lot of teams could beat a package surrounding those guys, but how many teams would? I don't see why SD would do it. NYY would struggle to, IMO. I don't see them dealing Deivi or Florial in a deal for Boyd, and I don't think many guys after those 2 are more appealing than those guys Houston could move.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

I agree with this. Beer is an extremely nice bat, even if he's going to be 1B/DH only. Guy is absolutely crushing, has good K and BB rates, hasn't missed a beat in AA.

Well we pretty much agree and I should add that Seth Beer has cracked Prospects Live's mid-season top 100 now and that is with only a half season of play in professional ball.  He is a fast riser and should be up by next year if this continues.  And, of course, more years of control than Frasier.   

Meanwhile Frasier's stock is fading fast and all the teams know that and how almost desperate the Yankees are to ditch him for almost anything at this point.  So I think Houston can put together a better goodie bag than the Yankees to get Boyd ... if they want.

1 hour ago, sngehl01 said:

They have lots of low key nice specs, really. Even when Yordan was mashing he was (inexplicably) left off of many top 100 charts. Beer, likewise, isn't on the top 100, but he's probably a top 20 bat in the minors.

Myles Straw will never be the kind of guy that ranks highly, but he has a good hit tool and walks and has incredible speed. Even in spotty PT in Houston this year  (62 PA) he has hit .288 and swiped 5 bags (only 13 K in that span vs 10 BB).

Abraham Toro is a great looking bat too. 22 in AA, batting .303 with 13 HR, 4 3B, 14 2B and 65:41 K:BB in 345 PA. 4 steals on top of it.

Plus arms like Ivey, Solomon, Martin, Abreu... yeah, I mean, a lot of teams could beat a package surrounding those guys, but how many teams would? I don't see why SD would do it. NYY would struggle to, IMO. I don't see them dealing Deivi or Florial in a deal for Boyd, and I don't think many guys after those 2 are more appealing than those guys Houston could move.

This was very close to what I was thinking when I made my original comment about not needing Tucker or Whitley to be part of the deal. Houston sends Beer (the player not just a 6-pack), Ivey, Derek Fisher (who Detroit was rumored to be interested in over the offseason), and Joshua Rojas (a major league ready middle infielder who is having a great season between AA and AAA) for Boyd. I think that would be a deal both teams would be happy with and would be tough for others to beat.  

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think they could give a better package than the Yankees even without these two.  Seth Beer could be a pretty major piece of it.  He is most probably a better offer than Clint Frazier long term.

Well in the last series vs the Tigers, the Red Sox announcers were going on and on about how Comerica was the most pitcher friendly park in the majors.

Call me crazy but I'd rather have Frazier over Beer.

1 hour ago, sngehl01 said:

Why would SD?  They've got an insane surplus of young players and prospects, need a legit 200 ip #2 Or #3 SP, and would have another 3 years of control.   It's a no brainer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Well, if you insist.  😎  I just see more power from Beer. 

And right now to get Boyd, well Frazier is kind of slightly damaged goods given all the gossip out of NY about him being poison in the clubhouse.  Frankly I think that is way over the top but it is something that can make a team hesitate.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Hold my Beer

• Haha 1

They asked for Torres from the Yanks.  

So that’s not happening.

The last thing the Tigers need in return is an OF who can barely play the field.  They already have a bunch of those.

Edited by Sternes

15 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well, if you insist.  😎  I just see more power from Beer. 

And right now to get Boyd, well Frazier is kind of slightly damaged goods given all the gossip out of NY about him being poison in the clubhouse.  Frankly I think that is way over the top but it is something that can make a team hesitate.

You must remember Frazier was drafted by the Cleveland Indians and spent his first three years in the organization so instead of hesitant they might be confident in reaquiring him. 

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

You must remember Frazier was drafted by the Cleveland Indians and spent his first three years in the organization so instead of hesitant they might be confident in reaquiring him. 

That was my whole point about reaquiring him.  They got rid of him once.  Awkward much.

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

That was my whole point about reaquiring him.  They got rid of him once.  Awkward much.

Not common, but it has happened before. I know that Gio Gonzales was traded from the White Sox only to be traded back to them later as a minor leaguer. 

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Or the opposite. Depends, probably, on if his attitude is legitimately an issue or not. Cleveland would know, good or bad. 

Last 8 starts -

Two of them 3 runs allowed.

Four of them 4 runs allowed.

Two of them 5 runs allowed.

One QS. 12 HR allowed in that span, only 1 game he didn't allow a HR.  ERA from 2.85 to 4.12, highest since first start of the season.

Seems like this guy may be a decent buy-low candidate right now.

Over the last month he has a 6.02 ERA and 1.22 WHIP. But he also has 42:5 K:BB over 25.1 IP in that same span.

His season ERA is up to 4.13. But his FIP is 3.55 and xFIP is 3.37.

He has the Phillies today. After that it's @SEA, @TEX, and then CWS. TEX and CWS recently got him for 4 ER, but that stilly looks pretty manageable. And honestly he's been pitching better than the results would indicate.

On the other hand, the Tigers are the fourth worst defensive team in baseball according to fangraphs, which would explain the high ERA. So I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Seems like this guy may be a decent buy-low candidate right now.

Over the last month he has a 6.02 ERA and 1.22 WHIP. But he also has 42:5 K:BB over 25.1 IP in that same span.

His season ERA is up to 4.13. But his FIP is 3.55 and xFIP is 3.37.

He has the Phillies today. After that it's @SEA, @TEX, and then CWS. TEX and CWS recently got him for 4 ER, but that stilly looks pretty manageable. And honestly he's been pitching better than the results would indicate.

On the other hand, the Tigers are the fourth worst defensive team in baseball according to fangraphs, which would explain the high ERA. So I guess we'll see.

It seems like it's been 1 inning that does him in in all these outings. I swear in all these starts he's had like 3 ip, 2 hits, 7 k's and inevitably in the 4th or 5th inning he gets lit up and ruins the start. It's frustrating but he's clearly going through a rough patch cause his elite k rate and k/bb rate are still there

really want Houston to trade for him. Not only for the defense but because of what they've done to pitchers the last few years

Edited by street sharks

Matty B is a underrated SP on a real bad team. I understand Wins will always be a premium...but that being said.....is he still worth investing in?

Tonight he did not fare to well. Got blew up by KC.

1 hour ago, octapuss said:

Matty B is a underrated SP on a real bad team. I understand Wins will always be a premium...but that being said.....is he still worth investing in?

The Royals own him. I was apprehensive about starting him tbh. He'll be fine going forward

1 hour ago, octapuss said:

All pitchers have games where they don't quite have the feel for one of their pitches. The more limited the repertoire, the more vulnerable to blow ups. Like Boyd.

I'm sure he was cruise along his next start and dominate.

Guy has a 5.79 ERA, 1.375 WHIP, over the last 60 days.

Edited by Sternes
  • Like 2

Seattle is up next....is that his “get on track” start?

1 hour ago, whips02 said:

Seattle is up next....is that his “get on track” start?

Should be.  They’re rolling out rotten garbage every chance they get.