urban2014

Aaron Rodgers 2019 Outlook

No thread for one of the best QB in the league? Ok then. I will start one. State Farm boy will have a rebound season, assuming he doesn’t get hurt again 

6 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

No thread for one of the best QB in the league? 

You pretty much know what you are getting, not sure there is a ton to discuss.

5 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

You pretty much know what you are getting, not sure there is a ton to discuss.

I mean sure, but its weird that he hasn't gotten a thread of his own

I think maybe about 3 established elite QBs have ‘19 Outlook threads at the moment.

I suppose a topic could be how he performs post-McCarthy, especially given that its pretty clear he hated the coach, but yeah, we know what he is, for the most part, and where he'll be drafted.   

Just read that bleacher report article about the Rodgers/McCarthy relationship. Pretty awful. If rodgers respects the new guy and takes coaching maybe he sets new career records. But maybe he still thinks hes the smartest guy in the room and we've already seen rodgers best years

I read the Bleacher Report article, too.  It is a very good read, and I found none of the revelations surprising.  

As for Rodgers, he's an egotistical a-hole who audibles out of runs 50% of the time so he can pad his passing stats.  Sounds like the perfect fantasy football QB to me!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've worked with guys like Rodgers before. It can be difficult. But I find it amusing that some of his receivers were saying Rodgers isn't as smart as he thinks he is. Rodgers is a very intelligent guy, despite his insecurities. Not all intelligent people are humble. A lot of them like to let you know they are intelligent and demean you for not knowing something they feel like you should know. Which can happen often because a lot of other people obviously aren't going to be as intelligent. Belichick is like this as well from what I've heard.

Will be interesting to see the Packers offense without McCarthy. It is amazing how bad their offense has been if what was reported was true regarding McCarthy.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, devaster said:

I've worked with guys like Rodgers before. It can be difficult. But I find it amusing that some of his receivers were saying Rodgers isn't as smart as he thinks he is. Rodgers is a very intelligent guy, despite his insecurities. Not all intelligent people are humble. A lot of them like to let you know they are intelligent and demean you for not knowing something they feel like you should know. Which can happen often because a lot of other people obviously aren't going to be as intelligent. Belichick is like this as well from what I've heard.

Will be interesting to see the Packers offense without McCarthy. It is amazing how bad their offense has been if what was reported was true regarding McCarthy.

you'd think with all of those massages, mccarthy's relaxedness would've helped the team during high-stress moments. just probably not the right move getting the massages during team meetings. article never mentioned what kind of massage mccarthy was getting.

19 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Just read that bleacher report article about the Rodgers/McCarthy relationship. Pretty awful. If rodgers respects the new guy and takes coaching maybe he sets new career records. But maybe he still thinks hes the smartest guy in the room and we've already seen rodgers best years

article deserves a link here, just for the breadth of it: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay  didn't realize the ride i was in for when i started reading.

was amazed at how much terrain is covered, yet it doesn't highlight the "perfectionism" element of rodgers fully. yes, true, he was calling his own plays, perhaps changing mccarthy's plays as much as 50%. gotta have an ego large enough to do this, yet 1) he has the talent, and 2) mccarthy seemingly checked out and was just going through the motions. rodgers was doing everything he could to win.

problem is, not "everything" is rodgers' job, and ideally the coaches would be coaching the rookies and not leaving room for rodgers to lambaste them. i'd say it was a collapse of management overall, stemming from the top down: a gm has to know what's going on with his head coach.

one key question the article raises is, how will aaron rodgers acclimate to matt lafleur? for my two cents, i think he'll level-up his attitude and fall in: all he wants is to win, and despite the giant-sized contract, gm gutekunst has made it clear that lafleur is the man in charge. i just hope lafleur gives rodgers some flexibility to read the field and take advantage of by calling audibles when appropriate.

the article also points out, rodgers is 35, and lafleur is 39... so, there will either be a respect issue, or they will bond miraculously talking about their favorite grunge bands as teenagers.

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I read the Bleacher Report article, too.  It is a very good read, and I found none of the revelations surprising.  

As for Rodgers, he's an egotistical a-hole who audibles out of runs 50% of the time so he can pad his passing stats.  Sounds like the perfect fantasy football QB to me!

i think the only statistic rodgers was concerned about is the win-loss ratio. ego aside, it's a shameful thing when someone so talented isn't challenging other teams in post-season, and an aaron rodgers / tom brady shootout would have been waaaay preferable over the superbowl's 13-3 baseball score

3 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

you'd think with all of those massages, mccarthy's relaxedness would've helped the team during high-stress moments. just probably not the right move getting the massages during team meetings. article never mentioned what kind of massage mccarthy was getting.

article deserves a link here, just for the breadth of it: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay  didn't realize the ride i was in for when i started reading.

was amazed at how much terrain is covered, yet it doesn't highlight the "perfectionism" element of rodgers fully. yes, true, he was calling his own plays, perhaps changing mccarthy's plays as much as 50%. gotta have an ego large enough to do this, yet 1) he has the talent, and 2) mccarthy seemingly checked out and was just going through the motions. rodgers was doing everything he could to win.

problem is, not "everything" is rodgers' job, and ideally the coaches would be coaching the rookies and not leaving room for rodgers to lambaste them. i'd say it was a collapse of management overall, stemming from the top down: a gm has to know what's going on with his head coach.

one key question the article raises is, how will aaron rodgers acclimate to matt lafleur? for my two cents, i think he'll level-up his attitude and fall in: all he wants is to win, and despite the giant-sized contract, gm gutekunst has made it clear that lafleur is the man in charge. i just hope lafleur gives rodgers some flexibility to read the field and take advantage of by calling audibles when appropriate.

the article also points out, rodgers is 35, and lafleur is 39... so, there will either be a respect issue, or they will bond miraculously talking about their favorite grunge bands as teenagers.

giphy.gif

i think the only statistic rodgers was concerned about is the win-loss ratio. ego aside, it's a shameful thing when someone so talented isn't challenging other teams in post-season, and an aaron rodgers / tom brady shootout would have been waaaay preferable over the superbowl's 13-3 baseball score

'Rodgers only cares about wins and losses' is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. 

Edited by dmb3684

Just now, dmb3684 said:

'Rodgers only cares about wins and losses' is the most ridiculou things I've ever read. 

Yea if hes petty enough to hold a grudge against greg jennings for talking to Brett Favre after a game he might be petty enough to care about his stats.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

'Rodgers only cares about wins and losses' is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. 

actually, you didn't read it: you wrote it.

because that's not what i said.

5 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Yea if hes petty enough to hold a grudge against greg jennings for talking to Brett Favre after a game he might be petty enough to care about his stats.

fair point

i wonder if the undisclosed source in article is james jones. if so, i think the article has even more insight.

25 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

actually, you didn't read it: you wrote it.

because that's not what i said.

fair point

i wonder if the undisclosed source in article is james jones. if so, i think the article has even more insight.

Yes you did. You said the only statistic Rodgers was concerned about is the win/loss ratio. You are the only one that thinks that.

22 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Yes you did. You said the only statistic Rodgers was concerned about is the win/loss ratio. You are the only one that thinks that.

you mis-quoted me, even placed your words in quotation marks, 'Rodgers only cares about wins and losses' --- so i was responding to this misquote, the words that you wrote.

i do stand by my comment that regarding statistics, i think aaron rodgers is only concerned about getting into the playoffs, winning in post season, and getting to the super bowl ("i think the only statistic rodgers was concerned about is the win-loss ratio"). regardless of game stats, of TDs and yardage, he will never be where he wants to be without then next one or two or three super bowl rings, and he ain't getting younger. read the article https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay. i believe that if green bay was winning under mccarthy, winning on the ground, with defense, or however, rodgers would not have been deviating from the playbook and changing the coach's calls. he wants to win and is frustrated, and we've seen his negative side clearly within this frustration.

i'm not the only one who thinks this, but if i'm in the minority, i can live with that.

I enjoyed the story like most did, and I dont think there's really anything from it that changes my view of Rodgers, but i do know this, Marques Valdes Scantling is now DND for me, lol.    

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

you mis-quoted me, even placed your words in quotation marks, 'Rodgers only cares about wins and losses' --- so i was responding to this misquote, the words that you wrote.

i do stand by my comment that regarding statistics, i think aaron rodgers is only concerned about getting into the playoffs, winning in post season, and getting to the super bowl ("i think the only statistic rodgers was concerned about is the win-loss ratio"). regardless of game stats, of TDs and yardage, he will never be where he wants to be without then next one or two or three super bowl rings, and he ain't getting younger. read the article https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay. i believe that if green bay was winning under mccarthy, winning on the ground, with defense, or however, rodgers would not have been deviating from the playbook and changing the coach's calls. he wants to win and is frustrated, and we've seen his negative side clearly within this frustration.

i'm not the only one who thinks this, but if i'm in the minority, i can live with that.

LOL I didn't quote you exactly, apologies. Sweet deflection. Carry on 

Rodgers thinks he is trying to win because he thinks his god-like right arm, racking up stats, is the only way the Packers can win.   Because every other player, coach, and executive in Green Bay is a moron.  Except not Jordy.  Bring him back of retirement.

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

I enjoyed the story like most did, and I dont think there's really anything from it that changes my view of Rodgers, but i do know this, Marques Valdes Scantling is now DND for me, lol.    

I have that article bookmarked for later but could you spark note the MVS blurb?

6 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I have that article bookmarked for later but could you spark note the MVS blurb?

Basically said he quit throwing to MVS cuss he got on rodgers bad side. Rookie wr wasnt picking up on rodgers on the fly play altering quick enough or something that. It's a long article hard to remember it exactly.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Basically said he quit throwing to MVS cuss he got on rodgers bad side. Rookie wr wasnt picking up on rodgers on the fly play altering quick enough or something that. It's a long article hard to remember it exactly.

Not any different than a receiver working with Brady. If a receiver runs the wrong route or isn't where they are supposed to be and throw Brady's rhythm off that receiver won't be seeing any passes in the future. Some QB's just aren't forgiving.

Instead, he chose not to throw the ball to rookies open in one-on-one coverage. It's likely no coincidence Valdes-Scantling faded out of the offense down the stretch. He ran the routes as they were called from the sideline, and his targets declined. Rodgers would look his way, then pat, pat, pat the ball for something else to develop. Why? A source close to the team says Valdes-Scantling told him Rodgers just didn't like him. That he wasn't doing exactly what Rodgers asked him to do, so the quarterback started to freeze him out.

10 minutes ago, devaster said:

Not any different than a receiver working with Brady. If a receiver runs the wrong route or isn't where they are supposed to be and throw Brady's rhythm off that receiver won't be seeing any passes in the future. Some QB's just aren't forgiving.

Payton manning did this too.. but in the article they talk about how rodgers is kinda of a dick and will just berate and put down guys for no reason specifically jeff Janis. Says it's so bad scouts from other teams see it and cant believe it. When Rodgers puts someone in the doghouse it might be to a new level that we havent even seen from tom Brady or Payton manning. 

Just now, Stonej14 said:

Payton manning did this too.. but in the article they talk about how rodgers is kinda of a dick and will just berate and put down guys for no reason specifically jeff Janis. Says it's so bad scouts from other teams see it and cant believe it. When Rodgers puts someone in the doghouse it might be to a new level that we havent even seen from tom Brady or Payton manning. 

Meh. Not everyone is the same. Like I said before, a lot of intelligent people like to let you know they are intelligent and expect things that come easy to them to be simple for others as well. And when things don't go the way they expect they berate and demean others. These receivers need tougher skin. I'm sure they only complain once they leave. Do their jobs and limit the amount of insults.

We have seen a similar attitude from Brady. And a lot of receivers don't stick around in NE. Comes across as whining and sour grapes to me because guys are too thin skinned and couldn't handle a more intelligent person.

Winning masks all these issues. And as long as the Packers get back to winning it won't matter. One would hope the stagnation of McCarthy and his lack of innovation is gone. You can't survive in the NFL doing what used to work. Players, offenses, and teams need to constantly evolve and adapt.

1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

For Brady, the WR just gets cut before it would get to that level. 

People call that kind of attitude "competitive" as long as the team has success and is winning. When the team has issues and is losing it is considered toxic and poor leadership. Optics.