kpmorgan

Julio Rodriguez, OF, Seattle Mariners

so are you expecting Julio to pass up Jarred Kelenic or do you think both make the starting OF?

Mariners starting of is Haniger, Kyle Lewis and Mallex. On the surface they stink,  under the surface they stink, So yes I think Kelenic being older beats JRod to the majors this year. But I would not be surprised if JRod forced his way to the majors this year. Although next year is more likely. 

• Like 1

Rebuilding obviously doesn't happen in just one year. I think they will maximize the "cheaper" minor league years to bring him up when he can contribute to a contender. It is likely that they will likely bring him up after service time expires next year or they can get him to sign a multiyear contract beforehand (i.e. Luis Robert). Disclaimer: I have no shares of him and there is zero possibility of him lasting until my rookie pick this year (2nd last pick in a 16 teamer). 

31 minutes ago, drunkb said:

Rebuilding obviously doesn't happen in just one year. I think they will maximize the "cheaper" minor league years to bring him up when he can contribute to a contender. It is likely that they will likely bring him up after service time expires next year or they can get him to sign a multiyear contract beforehand (i.e. Luis Robert). Disclaimer: I have no shares of him and there is zero possibility of him lasting until my rookie pick this year (2nd last pick in a 16 teamer). 

His stated goal is to be up in the big leagues this season and the GM has openly stated it’s not out of the question. 

16 hours ago, dan said:

Why not? IF the guy is ready than why not?

Because they won't contend. Why loose a year of control? 

Moving up three levels in a year on a team that sucks will be hard to do. Don't really think there's anyway they should call him up before a month into 2021, that might even still be early.

If he’s a gamechanger prospect, and it sure looks like he is, the Mariners will allow him to reach his goal of playing in MLB this year at age 19. All you need to know was already stated that it’s his goal to be up this year - and the GM has publicly backed him on it. Let’s remember this is the organization that has been responsible for the 18/19 year old MLB promotions of Ken Griffey, Jr., Alex Rodriguez and Felix Hernandez. They probably have one of the largest track records of fast tracking generational prospect talent to the majors. He also doesn’t necessarily have to prove much of anything at the juiced up AAA level and the PCL won’t tell them anything they won’t learn about him in AA. There’s also a chance he signs an extension to help aid his own fast-tracking. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

His stated goal is to be up in the big leagues this season and the GM has openly stated it’s not out of the question. 

Nothing is out of the question, but I said "I think". Like I stated in my post, I think that it really depends on whether he signs a multiyear contract when they think that he is ready for the show.

I can see him up this year if he continues to rake at AA. With the 26 roster spot plus Kelenic and JRod has to be on the 40 man roster anyway after the season. Mariners just are not deep enuff to play manipulation games with a dismal major league roster currently. Evan White is the first domino of new blood hopefully followed soon by better dominoes. 

6 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

If he’s a gamechanger prospect, and it sure looks like he is, the Mariners will allow him to reach his goal of playing in MLB this year at age 19. All you need to know was already stated that it’s his goal to be up this year - and the GM has publicly backed him on it. Let’s remember this is the organization that has been responsible for the 18/19 year old MLB promotions of Ken Griffey, Jr., Alex Rodriguez and Felix Hernandez. They probably have one of the largest track records of fast tracking generational prospect talent to the majors. He also doesn’t necessarily have to prove much of anything at the juiced up AAA level and the PCL won’t tell them anything they won’t learn about him in AA. There’s also a chance he signs an extension to help aid his own fast-tracking. 

Exactly what I was saying. 

729402556_juliorodriguez.jpg.294b17394c2faa5d584340a9a0c24908.jpg

So CBS just added a second Julio Rodriguez RF Sea to their player pool additions added on (2-10). Seems to be same player and even has his #85. 

So I guess he is so good they added him twice.

Edited by sagrim

11 hours ago, sagrim said:

729402556_juliorodriguez.jpg.294b17394c2faa5d584340a9a0c24908.jpg

So CBS just added a second Julio Rodriguez RF Sea to their player pool additions added on (2-10). Seems to be same player and even has his #85. 

So I guess he is so good they added him twice.

Does this mean I can have TWO Julio Rodriguez?!?🤓

• Haha 1

This is not a guy dynasty league owners want up in 2020.  No matter how good he does.  The Mariners major league coaching staff is a f***** travesty, and the roster is even worse.  You don’t want him landing against top competition with Dee Gordon showing him the way.  He’s a firm stay in minors all of 2020 guy.  If they rush him like they did guys before him, they’ll destroy him.  Mariners are not good at player development they’re about a 100% bust ratio for top guys since A-Rod back in 1993.  Temper expectations.  

On 2/1/2020 at 1:07 AM, Italian_guy said:

That would be no sense for the Mariners franchise 

If his performance merits it then of course it makes sense. Winning is the goal, no trophies for saving service time.

8 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

If his performance merits it then of course it makes sense. Winning is the goal, no trophies for saving service time.

Ask Luis Robert and the White Sox. 

Last year he probably deserved a promotion, but it didn't come. Julio played less than 30 games in A+. Totally zero need to rush him up. 

On 2/14/2020 at 1:16 PM, hgh22 said:

Mariners aren’t winning 60 games even if Julio is god reincarnated.  Might be the worst Major League Baseball roster talent wise in the league.  They have absolutely nothing.  You really want Julio to rushed up so Dee Gordon can show him the ropes?  Keep him as far away from Seattle in 2020 as humanly possible.  

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Mariners aren’t winning 60 games even if Julio is god reincarnated.

If Julio is God reincarnated.........I could see a post season in their future.   

I think Julio has a nice bright future ahead of him.  Some good prospects in the system.  I would be a bit more optimistic on them down the road.

The Mariners are going to suck for as long as it takes to develop Julio, Kesenic, Gilbert, Kirby, Marte, Evan White, etc. they won’t be in the market to build through free agency until they start to develop this young core. So...the only way to start getting better is to start bringing these guys up to develop at the MLB level when they’re ready for it. They can’t wait a couple years and hope that they’ll have better coaches or player mentors to help great prospects become great pros.  At this stage of a rebuild you don’t focus on spending to acquire talent. You develop your young stars and build around them when they’re ready to take the next step. 

4 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Mariners aren’t winning 60 games even if Julio is god reincarnated.  Might be the worst Major League Baseball roster talent wise in the league.  They have absolutely nothing.  You really want Julio to rushed up so Dee Gordon can show him the ropes?  Keep him as far away from Seattle in 2020 as humanly possible.  

uhh have you seen the orioles lineup? 🤮

On 2/13/2020 at 11:37 PM, Cmilne23 said:

This is not a guy dynasty league owners want up in 2020.  No matter how good he does.  The Mariners major league coaching staff is a f***** travesty, and the roster is even worse.  You don’t want him landing against top competition with Dee Gordon showing him the way.  He’s a firm stay in minors all of 2020 guy.  If they rush him like they did guys before him, they’ll destroy him.  Mariners are not good at player development they’re about a 100% bust ratio for top guys since A-Rod back in 1993.  Temper expectations.  

I'm not in a dynasty league, but I do have him in a keeper league in which his service time in our league doesn't start until he's promoted. And I agree with Cmilne...I'd rather him stay down until some time in 2021. He's barely played professional ball, and it just seems to me that what would be best for him is starting in High-A before being promoted to AA, playing there most of the season, and finishing in AA with perhaps an appearance in AAA late. Then start him in AAA in 2021 as a 20yr old and see where it goes from there. 

21_screenshot2020-03-03at1.09.11pm.png

The fact that Julio has Rafiki holding young Simba as his background makes me think he might be the chosen one. 
The fact that he chose the 3d-animated remake me me concerned he will be a bust 

Hairline fracture on left wrist...no idea how long the absence will be, but might jeopardize the already truncated season. Bummer for a kid right on the cusp of the bigs.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Hairline fracture on left wrist...no idea how long the absence will be, but might jeopardize the already truncated season. Bummer for a kid right on the cusp of the bigs.

He probably wasn't going to get any significant playing time this year if any.  Love his future.

See you next year. I can't imagine you could buy low in a dynasty league, but if you can, please do it. Thank you.