BigPapi44

Zac Gallen - SP Marlins

Threw 147 innings in 2017 and 133 last year, so is it a safe bet they would be comfortable with him going up to 170-180 range this year?  If so, comes out to maybe 10-12 starts if he is an early June callup?

14 minutes ago, Dahk said:

Who's spot would he take?

That is part of the equation too...but with a lot of younger/inexperienced guys they also could opt for a 6 man rotation when the dog days set in? About his only hope outside of an early trade.

I guess we're an Alcantara blow up or two away. They dont really have an open spot in the rotation  I feel like we will see Gallen next month.

34 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

That is part of the equation too...but with a lot of younger/inexperienced guys they also could opt for a 6 man rotation when the dog days set in? About his only hope outside of an early trade.

Or an injury 

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

so are we all under the impression that the latest he may be called up is the first week of June?

Since no one can accurately state when Super 2 is, it's impossible to say. It's also quite possible they decide to wait until mid-April of 2020 to gain another year of team control. However, I do think it's more likely he's up in 2019 than not since Gallen isn't as heralded a prospect as a Sixto Sanchez or a Monte Harrison.

• Like 1

The hype should catch up as Zac continues his domination. Any reason not? He’s wrecking the PCL. Not much else he can do except keeping it up 

19 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

The hype should catch up as Zac continues his domination. Any reason not?

The stuff has never been elite - but he's able to keep hitters off-balance with varying speeds and clean mechanics. Going to be tough to get through an MLB lineup 3 times per start without having at least one plus to plus-plus pitch. It does seem that his command has taken a step forward though this year for sure. He could be a solid floor play, particularly at home, but I wouldn't look for him to continue putting up the AAA numbers he currently is at the MLB level long term.

• Like 1

Sandy pitching like a stud definitely doesn't help 

4 hours ago, Dark One said:

The stuff has never been elite - but he's able to keep hitters off-balance with varying speeds and clean mechanics. Going to be tough to get through an MLB lineup 3 times per start without having at least one plus to plus-plus pitch. It does seem that his command has taken a step forward though this year for sure. He could be a solid floor play, particularly at home, but I wouldn't look for him to continue putting up the AAA numbers he currently is at the MLB level long term.

Well, in all fairness to Gallen, nobody puts up the numbers in the majors that he is putting up in AAA.... 😉  Not exactly disagreeing with you otherwise though, although he's obviously a must grab when he finally does get the call.  Just have to give up any hope of him getting many wins, but that shouldn't be a huge deal since he'd likely/hopefully be a backend of the rotation guy for all of us.

Urena pitching like the perfect trade candidate and is under control through 2021. Hopefully he's gone sooner rather than later for a nice prospect and gallen gets the call.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:17 AM, Dirty Little Birdie said:

so are we all under the impression that the latest he may be called up is the first week of June?

On 5/30/2019 at 11:31 AM, Dark One said:

Since no one can accurately state when Super 2 is, it's impossible to say. It's also quite possible they decide to wait until mid-April of 2020 to gain another year of team control. However, I do think it's more likely he's up in 2019 than not since Gallen isn't as heralded a prospect as a Sixto Sanchez or a Monte Harrison.

What Dark One said since there is absolutely no exact science as to when Super 2 happens for each individual player.  It is a complicated math formula that includes in it future stats that haven't happened as of yet.

So most teams wait until at least mid-June when past stats show most players in the past were then safe to call up.  But to be ultra sure, near the end of June.  Especially on teams not competing and having low payrolls as well like Miami.

• Like 1

Urena continues to boost stock.  Him being traded is probably clearest path to rotation for Gallen.  

Edited by Cmilne23

On 5/30/2019 at 3:40 PM, urban2014 said:

Sandy pitching like a stud definitely doesn't help 

Besides the one outing on 5.19, when has Sandy pitched like a stud?

7IP, 4hits, 1ER, 2BBs, 11Ks.  We will see if he comes back out for the 8th.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

7IP, 4hits, 1ER, 2BBs, 11Ks.  We will see if he comes back out for the 8th.

Beast mode. Acquired him this afternoon in my dynasty league so I’m pumped seeing this.

4 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Besides the one outing on 5.19, when has Sandy pitched like a stud?

Definitely fair enough.  His last outing was solid on paper when you look at the ratios, but he had 5 walks.

• Like 1

Sandy not cooperating - very solid outing in a tough hitters park (Milwaukee) tonight - 7 IP, 5 Hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K's. I'm liking the Urena trade idea more and more to get Gallen in the rotation somewhere between now and the end of next month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

Sandy not cooperating - very solid outing in a tough hitters park (Milwaukee) tonight - 7 IP, 5 Hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K's. I'm liking the Urena trade idea more and more to get Gallen in the rotation somewhere between now and the end of next month.

Unfortunately that's probably the only way Gallen gets up by then.  That is unless somebody gets hurt in the meantime.  Sandy has been just good enough to stick on an awful team.

Another option would be if they elect to go with a 6 man rotation. In the Marlins case I could see benefit to this. They’re not competing for anything and have 3 SPs in which they will look to manage inning on - Smith, Lopez, and Alcantara. It will also allow them to see what they have in Gallen and have him to begin to get experience at the MLB level. 

He has nothing left to prove or work on in AAA New Orleans. 

1 hour ago, MoonyGray said:

Lol why is he still in AAA? Too funny. 

To gain another year of control, no incentive to care about winning, etc.

I don't disagree that he should have already been called up, but the unfortunate reality of it all is that this had to be expected, especially with a prospect for the Marlins.