BigPapi44

Zac Gallen - SP Marlins

12 hours ago, meh2 said:

Insert face into palm.  Not sure what Gallen has left to prove.  Hernandez has shown zippo in the opportunities he's been given.  C'mon Marlins, give the kid a shot!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Insert face into palm.  Not sure what Gallen has left to prove.  Hernandez has shown zippo in the opportunities he's been given.  C'mon Marlins, give the kid a shot!

Agreed.  I understand that Hernandez has done great in AAA this season and is on the 40-man roster, but he's been awful in the Majors so far.  I doubt a switch has flipped, especially since he was bad in limited time earlier this season.

Looks like it's officially not Gallen for Caleb Smith's next would-be start (not that things weren't made clear regarding Hernandez yesterday).

Alrighty then.  Moving on until there's a reason to get excited again, aka probably until Urena is traded.

Another superb start: 5IP, 3hits, 0ER, 1BB, 5Ks.  Only threw 79 pitches though.  He had been going deeper in his starts so not sure if there's any takeaway from the short outing today.  Get him up already!

• Like 2

The Marlins (like so many other teams in MLB these days) are not committed to winning. Separate topic and not looking to derail this thread, but something has to be done for baseball so that so many teams are no longer able to get away with not fielding the best product possible for their fans.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 2

It is mind boggling how teams can let guys like this waste away in the minors.  Kudos to Gallen for continuing to go out there day in and day out...all the while dominating the competition.  He's not getting frustrated, bored or angry.  He just continues to move forward.  Very encouraging. 

On 6/9/2019 at 5:33 AM, BigPapi44 said:

You guys are not really being fair to Hernandez. He was a rule 5 guy last year that asked to pitch in the majors after only finishing high A. There was no way in hell anyone should have expected him to perform in the majors last year.

This season in AAA is the first time he's had a chance to actually progress his development normally as a Marlin.

Both him and Gallen deserved a chance, one was on the 40 man. Other was not. They went with the guy on the 40 man. Not surpsing. Hernandez is only 3 months older than Gallen. Both are promising prospects.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

You guys are not really being fair to Hernandez. He was a rule 5 guy last year that asked to pitch in the majors after only finishing high A. There was no way in hell anyone should have expected him to perform in the majors last year.

This season in AAA is the first time he's had a chance to actually progress his development normally as a Marlin.

Both him and Gallen deserved a chance, one was on the 40 man. Other was not. They went with the guy on the 40 man. Not surpsing. Hernandez is only 3 months older than Gallen. Both are promising prospects.

Well, this is Gallen's thread, so obviously people are going to much prefer he got the call over Hernandez.

No doubt he's been amazing in AAA this season, but it's still hard to ignore his awful MLB stats regardless, especially since his 1 appearance this season so far was a borderline disaster.  Yes, it was only 1 appearance, but it still would be considered discouraging since it was no better than what he had done in the past.

I wouldn't blame anybody for giving him a shot.  It's tempting, but not sure I'd be able to pull the trigger.  People would have preferred the more exciting prospect of the two to be the one that got called, but obviously that didn't happen.  It can be frustrating stashing some of these highly regarded prospects and having to wait a potentially long time only because they are manipulating service time, so I'm not surprised at some of the disappointment/frustration in this thread right now.

For sure. I'd prefer Gallen too and if he was already on the 40 man. I'd bet it would be him today.

Hernandez has a better fastball, not in raw velocity, but it how it plays. It's been a good HR repression tool. That is is main reason Gallen has given up way more HRs. Gallen's FB, while may be thrown harder at times, doesn't play the same way. It's more hit-able.

Gallen just has a way way way deeper offering of secondary pitches. So he doesn't have any sort of platoon problems that Hernandez does. Hernandez has been a constant state of developing his secondary pitches. 

Given his performance in AAA. I'm curious to see if this a result of improved SL/CH or not.

If Hernandez blows chucks today, i'm sure Gallen is the next in line for an opening. They just get to delay DFA'ing a player to get Gallen on.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2

Heard good things about this kid and considering trading for him in a keeper to help rebuild my farm in a lost year. I don't normally trade for pitching prospects, but can't ignore his numbers and he is more attainable as he's not a 'sexy' prospect.

Is he the real deal? Or is he likely more of a mid rotation starter (3-4) upon reaching the show.

More a 4-5 guy in the show.  But that is from the same scouts who didn't rate him highly coming into the season so maybe there is still bias baked in there.

49 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

More a 4-5 guy in the show.  But that is from the same scouts who didn't rate him highly coming into the season so maybe there is still bias baked in there.

• Thanks 1

Urena DL but still no Gallen, as of now. He did just start two days ago so that’s why. Maybe he slots in next turn, if Urena is out a while 

Yammamoto is getting the call, already confirmed... I am in disbelief it isn't Gallen... Why are they holding him back?

15 minutes ago, Zerzavy said:

Yammamoto is getting the call, already confirmed... I am in disbelief it isn't Gallen... Why are they holding him back?

spacer.png

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Zerzavy said:

It's possible it's bad timing based on Yamamoto being lined up to start tomorrow (when Urena was scheduled to start) and Gallen having pitched two nights ago. Yammamoto was also already on the 40 man roster (just as Hernandez was when he got the call).

• Like 1

This feels like guaranteed Super-2 manipulation.

Idk how long Ureña is projected to miss, but I can’t imagine Gallen isn’t called up if Yamamoto and/or Hernandez are shelled and there’s an open rotation spot. I think they’re trying to get as late in June as possible as the Super-2 date is usually right around this time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

It's possible it's bad timing based on Yamamoto being lined up to start tomorrow (when Urena was scheduled to start) and Gallen having pitched two nights ago. Yammamoto was also already on the 40 man roster (just as Hernandez was when he got the call).

As I said earlier 

2 hours ago, WTP333 said:

As I said earlier 

Ah, I missed the part about Yamamoto lining up for the start and already being on the 40 man. Thanks.

• Like 1

ESPN has listed following probably pitchers for Miami:

06/12: Yamamoto

6/14: Richards

6/15: Lopez

6/16: Alcantara

6/17: Hernandez

6/18: ___________

I am not sure if Caleb Smith will be back by then or if Yamamoto sticks. Hernandez pitched well enough to earn another start. If Yamamoto sticks, he could potentially pitch on the 18th. Or we might finally see Gallen!

17 hours ago, JFS179 said:

This feels like guaranteed Super-2 manipulation.

Idk how long Ureña is projected to miss, but I can’t imagine Gallen isn’t called up if Yamamoto and/or Hernandez are shelled and there’s an open rotation spot. I think they’re trying to get as late in June as possible as the Super-2 date is usually right around this time. 

The Super 2 issue is the only thing that makes sense.