urban2014

Will Fuller 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

6 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

All things considered, James Washington looks like a better start this week and probably available on your waiver wire.

Fuller is likely not 100% which is a big deal considering his skill set. If he can’t run really fast how effective can he be? The potential for an early hamstring aggravation is very real and could result in a big goose egg in your starting lineup. Besides all that, Fuller hasn’t been that great anyway outside of one big game. Matchup vs Colts on Thursday night isn’t especially appealing. Fuller could simply be used as a field stretching decoy tonight.

James Washington’s last 3 games are right on par with Fuller’s usual production. Washington has no injury concerns, will be playing at full speed, and figures to be Pittsburgh’s #1 WR this week with injuries to JuJu and DJ. The cherry on top is the matchup vs Bengals. With no Conner, the rushing game could struggle leading to a more pass heavy game script than we’d otherwise expect vs Bengals.

Given the circumstances, the likelihood of Fuller blowing up is very low, and the potential for a massive dud is reasonably high. Conversely, James Washington is almost assuredly going to see a healthy dose of targets and opportunities. The potential for Washington to have a big week is reasonably high, and his floor seems high as well. 

Fuller will be on my bench, Washington in my lineup.

quality post here ^

👍

8 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

All things considered, James Washington looks like a better start this week and probably available on your waiver wire.

Fuller is likely not 100% which is a big deal considering his skill set. If he can’t run really fast how effective can he be? The potential for an early hamstring aggravation is very real and could result in a big goose egg in your starting lineup. Besides all that, Fuller hasn’t been that great anyway outside of one big game. Matchup vs Colts on Thursday night isn’t especially appealing. Fuller could simply be used as a field stretching decoy tonight.

James Washington’s last 3 games are right on par with Fuller’s usual production. Washington has no injury concerns, will be playing at full speed, and figures to be Pittsburgh’s #1 WR this week with injuries to JuJu and DJ. The cherry on top is the matchup vs Bengals. With no Conner, the rushing game could struggle leading to a more pass heavy game script than we’d otherwise expect vs Bengals.

Given the circumstances, the likelihood of Fuller blowing up is very low, and the potential for a massive dud is reasonably high. Conversely, James Washington is almost assuredly going to see a healthy dose of targets and opportunities. The potential for Washington to have a big week is reasonably high, and his floor seems high as well. 

This backfires if Diontae Johnson is active. You'd be starting Pitt's WR2 over Houston's WR2. 

32 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Agreed. Process would feel more comfortable if he played a game since injury and put up a WR2/3 line, Right now it's just blind faith and if you need a boom / bust...Just seems like way more bust.

Kinda funny / FYI- but IBM Watson on ESPN predicts almost no bust probability and a lot of BOOM probability...must be due to home game and Colts getting absolutely blasted by WRs lately...I know, it's kind of a silly gimmick, but something that I think is interesting to look at.

So, lots to balance out here.

45 minutes ago, Silkk1211 said:

I’ll take Watson’s #2 target over any of Rudolph’s targets any day of the week. Fuller has been out almost 5 weeks so I would have to think they wouldn’t bring him back unless he was at or at least very close to 100%. You could also argue that juju and johnson being out actually hurts washingtons value as he’ll draw more attention. Steelers will get an early lead and run the ball and be super conservative still being in the playoff picture. Give me fuller all day over any pass catcher (aside from Samuels) in Pitt.

Why so excited about Watson’s #2 target? Outside of week 5, Watson’s #2 target has been virtually worthless fantasy-wise. Tonight, we’re not even sure Fuller is Watson’s #2 target. Could be Stills, with Fuller being eased back in.

Rudolph and Washington go back to college together and appear to be renewing the connection over the past 3 weeks. Rudolph will be looking for Washington a lot this week, this we know.

1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Why so excited about Watson’s #2 target? Outside of week 5, Watson’s #2 target has been virtually worthless fantasy-wise. Tonight, we’re not even sure Fuller is Watson’s #2 target. Could be Stills, with Fuller being eased back in.

Rudolph and Washington go back to college together and appear to be renewing the connection over the past 3 weeks. Rudolph will be looking for Washington a lot this week, this we know.

Because of Rudolph....he’s the worst qb in the league. No thanks

• Like 2

Good points. 

I'm starting Fuller over Washington anywhere I have that option. I'm not even really spending time thinking about it. Fuller is a special game-breaking talent with a borderline MVP candidate at QB. Washington is a JAG with a bottom tier QB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Because Rudolph is horrible. And he has missing pieces everywhere. Center suspended. JuJu out. Conner out. One can argue whether or not he even has an arm attached to his body. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

One could argue the second option has been critically missing since Fuller went out. Another thought

We know his ceiling is mammoth. Floor is reasonable as well. Just have to hope some reports surface that assure he'll be able to resume his normal allotment of snaps.

9 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

We know his ceiling is mammoth. Floor is reasonable as well. Just have to hope some reports surface that assure he'll be able to resume his normal allotment of snaps.

A bit excessive with your adjective choice my friend. He's a low end #2 WR (at best).

We’re not debating Watson vs Rudolph here. Rudolph sucks and Watson doesn’t, I think most would agree. We’re debating Fuller vs Washington, and despite the obvious talent gap at QB, their fantasy numbers have been similar outside of one big week for Fuller. 

And that’s what Fuller has over Washington, blow up game potential. But I’d argue that said blow up potential is mitigated this week by Fuller’s questionable health status (whether he plays or not) and Washington’s recent surge in production, situation, momentum, and matchup. 

In fact, I’d argue that since a blow up game is unlikely for Fuller, considering “planning to play” indicate less-than top form, that Washington is more likely to have that blow up game for the reasons mentioned above. This week only. ROS I’d rather have Fuller....I think?

Let’s face it, they’re both dice rolls. I just get the feeling that Jimmy Washington is gonna have more opportunities to roll the bones.

1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

A bit excessive with your adjective choice my friend. He's a low end #2 WR (at best).

Not at all. He said ceiling. Fuller has as high of a ceiling as literally any WR in the NFL. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

One could argue the second option has been critically missing since Fuller went out. Another thought

Fuller played weeks 1-6. In five of those six weeks he was a disappointing fantasy option.

2 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

We’re not debating Watson vs Rudolph here. Rudolph sucks and Watson doesn’t, I think most would agree. We’re debating Fuller vs Washington, and despite the obvious talent gap at QB, their fantasy numbers have been similar outside of one big week for Fuller. 

And that’s what Fuller has over Washington, blow up game potential. But I’d argue that said blow up potential is mitigated this week by Fuller’s questionable health status (whether he plays or not) and Washington’s recent surge in production, situation, momentum, and matchup. 

In fact, I’d argue that since a blow up game is unlikely for Fuller, considering “planning to play” indicate less-than top form, that Washington is more likely to have that blow up game for the reasons mentioned above. This week only. ROS I’d rather have Fuller....I think?

Let’s face it, they’re both dice rolls. I just get the feeling that Jimmy Washington is gonna have more opportunities to roll the bones.

Yeah, Fuller has only had one good game this year. That's nowhere near as reliable as Washington, who's had *checks stats* one good game.

Fuller played weeks 1-6. In five of those six weeks he was a disappointing fantasy option.

Right. Washington has been a bigger disappointment in 8 out of 9 games he's played. So.... 

Just now, ajs723 said:

Yeah, Fuller has only had one good game this year. That's nowhere near as reliable as Washington, who's had *checks stats* one good game.

Right, it’s essentially a tie, 1-1. Now, let’s factor in health, recent production, momentum, and matchup. 

4 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Right. Washington has been a bigger disappointment in 8 out of 9 games he's played. So.... 

They both ooze bust potential, no doubt. 

2 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

They both ooze bust potential, no doubt. 

James Washington oozes slowly down the field. Yea you're right.

• Haha 1

I honestly don’t blame any of you for starting Fuller over Washington. A case can certainly be made. Heck I could talk myself into doing the same by game time. But if I do and it backfires my gut will never forgive me for ignoring it. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford

Dude has 14 TDs in 18 games with Watson, and some of y'all want to put him in the wr3 bin and talk about playing bums over him.

I get some of the angst about his injuries, but guy is a game breaker when he plays and coverage will always roll to Hopkins.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I honestly don’t blame any of you for starting Fuller over Washington. A case can certainly be made. Heck I could talk myself into doing the same by game time. But if I do and it backfires my gut will never forgive me for ignoring it. 

At the end of the day, i'm going to pick the player in the better situation with the better quarterback. I don't care how many other steeler wr's injured. I can't trust Rudolph to complete a damn pass.

Fuller all day just because of Deshaun

Watson makes it all worthwhile. Fuller just has to be willing to catch the ball!

Washington has never had a game like Fuller has had with Watson multiple times now over several seasons together

• Like 1