The 7th Beatles

Demaryius Thomas 2019 Outlook

32 before the season is over, 3rd banana at best behind 2 clearly superior talents, coming off an Achilles, in an increasingly conservative offense...

Look, in his day I was just as big a DT guy as there is, but I just don't see it this season.  If Gordon or Edelman were to miss time, then yes, he becomes interesting.  Current landscape, I'd rather use my roster spot to pick up a streamer D/ST or a lotto ticket on another team.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:36 PM, JJ1223 said:

Current landscape, I'd rather use my roster spot to pick up a streamer D/ST or a lotto ticket on another team.

I certainly get what you're saying, but I would view DT as a lotto ticket where is he now with the Patriots, for this season anyway.

29 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Looks like DT's value takes a big hit with AB signing today. 

Its going to take an injury to make him relevant now.  Im dumping

• Like 1

The AB signing likely ends any chance DT had of putting up some numbers in NE this season. If they keep him he is a drop in deeper leagues. If they cut him maybe he has an opportunity to put up some numbers. The Patriots were the perfect situation before AB got there though.

• Like 1

The ceiling for DT is like slightly better than Josh Reynolds with all 3 starting Rams WR healthy. Drop city people.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoffToff10 said:

Incomprehensible move by the Jets.

Gase was with him in Denver.  Also, Enunwa was hurt in Buffalo game but returned iirc, and Robby Anderson had a calf injury during the preseason and wasn't practicing for awhile.

Also neither had great games.  Robby Anderson was called out by Gase to the media after the game.  This is probably about Anderson.

EDIT:  Here is a link:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-adam-gase-dolphins-buffalo-bills-press-conference-20190910-qcjowe3f4vf2dncb4rxidmlouy-story.html

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2019 at 8:35 AM, gbill2004 said:

Oh boy...buckle up!

And pack your bags you're going to New York!!!!!

Now can we finally admit that DT is going to do nothing this year?  Belichick just traded him to a team that the Patriots play twice!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Now can we finally admit that DT is going to do nothing this year?  Belichick just traded him to a team that the Patriots play twice!

Thomas was literally free to anyone in the NFL a week ago, so I'm more shocked that the Patriots snookered a 6th round pick out of this whole thing. But yeah, DT is not fantasy relevant 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I actually think DT could surprise with some upside now. I thought the trade was puzzlingat first, but after readding the article below it makes more sense. AB coming onboard made it necessary to release one of their receivers. The Pats already boasted AB, Gordon, Edelman, Meyers and Harry (IR). DT also offered no special teams value and is past his prime. DT was the odd man out. He's not elite anymore, but he's arguably better than any of the receivers on the Jets roster right now. That said, he's not a WR that the Pats would fear and let's be real, there's not many WRs in the league that they could not effectively neutralize anyway. So DT being traded really isn't a knock on DT. It's just the Patriots maximizing the value of their players, even on the way out the door. It's just business. 

From The Athletic:

3. So why now? Why the Jets? Obviously, the Patriots didn’t think that much of Thomas if they were willing to let him leave the roster. There is no way the team would send a player it feared hurting them to the Jets. What likely happened is Thomas was going to be released and New England gathered the sense he would head right down the highway to New York. Shop around the league, see what’s out there, and the Jets were the team to bite.

4. New England couldn’t continue to carry seven wide receivers (not counting N’Keal Harry and Cameron Meredith, both of whom remain on injured lists). Someone had to go to make room for Antonio Brown. Letting go of Thomas makes the most sense. The Patriots like the developmental upside of Jakobi Meyers, who had a catch on Sunday, and they are protecting Julian Edelman by having Gunner Olszewski return punts. Thomas was a nice insurance policy, but it was hard to envision how he would get on the field unless disaster struck."

Exactly.  Demaryius Thomas was their seventh-best WR.  And they were only going to carry six.  In other words, he was never a big part of their plans.

1 hour ago, pikerbkb said:

it was hard to envision how he would get on the field unless disaster struck."

and then four hours after the trade, news broke that their star WR was accused of a crime...

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, jclee4 said:

Anything to see here with this news?

Outside of deep PPR leagues, I can’t see Thomas having much value. He’ll basically fill Enunwa’s role while Crowder leads the team in catches and Anderson leads the team in big plays. 

Yeah, Darnold dinks and dunks and can't throw the ball more than 5 yards anyway.  Quincy wasn't going to be relevant with Darnold.  So how does that benefit DT?

As a Jets Fan, and a 16T Leaguer I made the add this morning as a "You never know" type of move...This was before the Enunwa News...

Gase absolutely loves him as he coached him in Denver, while he also ripped into the current WRs (Anderson in particular) after Week 1.

Demaryius will have a role and now has some Fantasy Value.

Gase just now...

"He knows the offense and can easily be plugged in. He remembers everything."

Demaryius will be starting on the outside Monday Night -- sneaky good add for deep leaguers.