brockpapersizer

Michael Chavis 2019 Outlook

He is up to 5th because Xander and JD are both getting a day of rest today since they will be playing in the All Star game.  But who cares where Chavis bats in the line-up.  The Sox hit.  They go through the line-up more than a lot of teams.  And Cora is fluid with it anyway.

Any Sox fans hearing word about a possible IL stint? I can't find anything except speculation.

5 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

Moreland off the IL,  Hernandez sent down.

Yeah that says Chavis isn't going on the IL to me.  Marco Hernandez and Brock Holt are the 2B (middle infield) back-ups.  Why they kept Sam Travis up over Marco I have no idea but anyway with Moreland back and Travis (1B) staying up that means Chavis will play more 2B again with Brock Holt alone backing him up.

Ironically Chavis has looked way better in the field learning 2B on the fly which he plays well than learning 1B where he has trouble digging bad balls out of the dirt at times.  (Still Marco Hernandez > than Sam Travis any day.  Maybe they are shopping Travis as trade bait).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Sounds about right . The Red  Sox don’t really have much to offer other than Travis in a trade. They won’t trade Duran or Dalbac . Who does that leave to get anybody worth while . 

Question I have is dues Boston leave him at second next year or try to get another bat and move him to first ? 

4 hours ago, motown magic said:

Sounds about right . The Red  Sox don’t really have much to offer other than Travis in a trade. They won’t trade Duran or Dalbac . Who does that leave to get anybody worth while . 

Question I have is dues Boston leave him at second next year or try to get another bat and move him to first ? 

Dalbec could be up next year to play 1B unless they trade him at the deadline.  Or they re-sign Moreland for another year.  Or both.

So far Chavis looks better defensively at 2B but he will probably be a back-up at 1B if needed.

4 hours ago, Mongeese said:

Is he a bench guy now, or is this still injury related?

Still injury. I expect him in the lineup tomorrow. Came in tonight after Holt was ejected and hit a RBI double. 

Edited by Redsfan34
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Redsfan34 said:

Still injury. I expect him in the lineup tomorrow. Came in tonight after Holt was ejected and hit a RBI double. 

Yep.  Totally because of his injury.

Michael Chavis (shoulder) went 1-for-3 and played seven innings at second base Tuesday at Triple-A Pawtucket.

It was the fifth minor league rehab game for Chavis, who would appear to be on track to return to the Red Sox before the end of this week. The rookie infielder has been out since August 12 with an AC sprain in his left shoulder.

Source: MiLB.com
Aug 27, 2019, 9:58 PM ET

Safe to say he's coming back for the weekend series and will have an everyday spot in the lineup upon return?

1 hour ago, k.k. said:

Safe to say he's coming back for the weekend series and will have an everyday spot in the lineup upon return?

There is no reason, short term or long term, for Boston to be trotting Brock Holt out their daily, so I assume Chavis will be in the lineup. Might get more off days down the stretch though (shoulder). 

Likely back this weekend. Are we looking at regular AB’s or a platoon?