Sign in to follow this  
KilloWertz

Danny Santana 2019 Outlook

58 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Solak (who plays a similar type utility, all over the field role as Santana) got called up for Mazara.

I'm hoping (and thinking) that because it's a double header, they're just being cautious and giving him some extra rest for the night game.  It makes sense not to play a guy in a double header when he's coming off a hamstring injury (even it if's minor)

51 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I'm hoping (and thinking) that because it's a double header, they're just being cautious and giving him some extra rest for the night game.  It makes sense not to play a guy in a double header when he's coming off a hamstring injury (even it if's minor)

Or he tweaked it good enough to where he needs a couple days off. I wouldn't count on him being in the second game the the DH today. But it does looked like ownerd dodgers a bullet and it won't require a DL stint.

Edited by hangin n wangin

2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Or he tweaked it good enough to where he needs a couple days off. I wouldn't count on him being in the second game the the DH today. But it does looked like ownerd dodgers a bullet and it won't require a DL stint.

Yeah I would guess he's back tomorrow.  If not, I'm concerned (can't afford even missing a day when you're in a playoff matchup and an injured guy is locked in your lineup).

Edited by mehtavg2000
  • Like 1

He's in the lineup for the second game tonight.  Since he was out of the lineup for the first game, I didn't think it was worth the risk to put him in and have him sit out both games.

Oh well.  The most important thing is it's nothing serious and he's already playing again.  Hopefully he makes it through tonight's game without aggravating it.

He started at 3B last night. Hopefully he'll get more starts there as they said recently. Only 4 more starts and he'll have eligibility everywhere besides catcher in Yahoo leagues - making him a fantasy relevant Marwin Gonzalez.

• Like 1

is Santana's season a fluke?  or can he put up a top 75 ish season next year???

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Bench Coach content. "Having trouble deciding who to keep" is BC.

He did this for a half a year in 2014 with the Twins.

Then he stunk for 4 years only to start producing again this year.  

How can that be explained or used for projecting future success or failure??

59 minutes ago, rabaak said:

He did this for a half a year in 2014 with the Twins.

Then he stunk for 4 years only to start producing again this year.  

How can that be explained or used for projecting future success or failure??

When in 6 years, he WELL over doubled his career totals in HR... makes me, as an owner, pretttttty nervous for a keeper league.

Edited by MSkibisky

17 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

When in 6 years, he WELL over doubled his career totals in HR... makes me, as an owner, pretttttty nervous for a keeper league.

Agree with being cautious, however late bloomers do exist - see Max Muncy for exhibit A

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kenag122002 said:

Agree with being cautious, however late bloomers do exist - see Max Muncy for exhibit A

I understand being cautious and such as well, but it's going to be hard not to keep him keeper/dynasty leagues as long as he doesn't all of a sudden collapse before the end of the season.  A lower K-rate would obviously have helped any concerns as well.  If he has an awful spring, that won't ease concerns obviously, but it should be the opposite if he has a great spring.

I'm happy to have him in my keeper league, especially with his positional eligibility.  I'll make my final decision on whether I keep him or not when the time comes.

27.9% K rate

3.6% BB rate.

SwStr% up, Z-contact%, O-contact% down. Huge jump in HR/FB%.

He's doing a better job of destroying the pitches he gets to hit, but the risk of a collapse is so high.

2 hours ago, papasmurf said:

27.9% K rate

3.6% BB rate.

SwStr% up, Z-contact%, O-contact% down. Huge jump in HR/FB%.

He's doing a better job of destroying the pitches he gets to hit, but the risk of a collapse is so high.

You are not wrong that there is definite risk for him next season.  He's been too good for too long this season for me to believe he'll collapse this season, but he'll be one to monitor for next season. He's obviously earned being on everybody's radar, and his Spring Training might be a little more important than some other players.  I usually ignore it for the most part, but like I said yesterday, if he has a good one then I don't think the risk is that high.

BTW, Santana not being in the lineup tonight is not because it's a routine day off.  Still doesn't seem to be concerning, as they are probably just taking it easy on him if they are planning on playing him tomorrow.

"Santana is dealing with a sore hamstring, but the plan is for him to return to the lineup Friday against the White Sox, Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News reports."

Edited by KilloWertz

Now has 3B eligibility in Yahoo, so he has everything besides catcher. Unfortunately he's been pretty bad over the past few weeks. Hopefully he has one more hot stretch in him for the playoffs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I wonder how people feel about him as a keeper now?  He's been pretty bad lately.

Considered it 2 months ago. Dropped 3 weeks ago.

Sure looks like pitchers figured him out.

I view him next year as a 15-15 candidate with mediocre BA and risk of losing starting job. Not even sure if he will start 2020 with a fixed position.

Edited by papasmurf

16 hours ago, rabaak said:

Is it going to take 4 years for him to come out of this slump??

This guy was someone you most likely picked up off the wire. He was a hot bat that you ride till the wheels fall off. The wheels fell off three weeks ago. You release and move on. 

4 hours ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

This guy was someone you most likely picked up off the wire. He was a hot bat that you ride till the wheels fall off. The wheels fell off three weeks ago. You release and move on. 

I'm gonna give him a little more time. I took the approach you mentioned with Hunter Dozier and regret it pretty bad. I'm not starting Santana right now, but I'll keep him as a bench bat given his eligibility across the diamond.

6 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

I'm gonna give him a little more time. I took the approach you mentioned with Hunter Dozier and regret it pretty bad. I'm not starting Santana right now, but I'll keep him as a bench bat given his eligibility across the diamond.

I think he's worn down and is playing through a hammy issue that's been nagging him for the last few weeks. I cant trust him in money time

1 minute ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

I think he's worn down and is playing through a hammy issue that's been nagging him for the last few weeks. I cant trust him in money time

Can't blame you at all. We have pretty deep benches so I'm good with giving him some more time.