B&F

Gerrit Cole 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

20 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I agree. But is anyone worried about his free agency? He only got studly when he got to Houston. If he leaves houston, do you see some regression? It's an unique question but one that i think is somewhat valid. 

Houston made him elite but thereafter his team has no effect on his results as far as I'm concerned. His skills will still be there regardless of park and coaches.

• Like 1

I hope he signs with my Yankees, but I think in the end he's staying put.  Why leave such an awesome situation?   As for him not replicating his Astros success if he moves elsewhere, nah.  He's figured it out. He'll be good regardless of where he ends up.  I'm dying to see what his next contract is going to look like.

1 hour ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Houston made him elite but thereafter his team has no effect on his results as far as I'm concerned. His skills will still be there regardless of park and coaches.

The skills were always there. Im more focused about how his next team handles him in terms of pitch sequencing and game planning. The astros are known to be ahead of the curve in terms of information. He won't go back to being the guy he was in pittsburgh as i think his pitch mix will stay the same, but he may regress slightly. I dont know, its something to watch out for if he goes elsewhere. But that problem is something for next year, just enjoying the ride this year. 

13 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

The skills were always there. Im more focused about how his next team handles him in terms of pitch sequencing and game planning. The astros are known to be ahead of the curve in terms of information. He won't go back to being the guy he was in pittsburgh as i think his pitch mix will stay the same, but he may regress slightly. I dont know, its something to watch out for if he goes elsewhere. But that problem is something for next year, just enjoying the ride this year. 

You're overthinking. Want an example of a dude that got coached up, left, and continued his success?

1156950262.jpg.0.jpg

Furthermore, it's July. Don't worry about it. Sit back and enjoy.

We all know that San Fran is a good landing spot for this guy. The family connection is too strong. ;) 

3 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I agree. But is anyone worried about his free agency? He only got studly when he got to Houston. If he leaves houston, do you see some regression? It's an unique question but one that i think is somewhat valid. 

Just keep the long hair and load it up with a bunch of “substance” and he should continue to be a monster.  Hopefully for the White Sox.

2 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

We all know that San Fran is a good landing spot for this guy. The family connection is too strong. ;) 

hes gonna look good in Yankee pinstripes 

im thinking 220mil 7 yrs should get it done

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

hes gonna look good in Yankee pinstripes 

im thinking 220mil 7 yrs should get it done

He’s a West Coast guy. A team out here will pay him to be where he wants to be. 

Regardless I think he cashes in big time. 

Edited by Stickfig13

1 minute ago, Stickfig13 said:

He’s a West Coast guy. A team out here will pay him to be where he wants to be. 

Regardless I think he cashes in big time. 

alot of people say this.  and they almost always end up being a money guy first.

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

He grew up a Yankees fan.  That much I know because Peter Gammons went ape s--- when he fell to the Yankees in the draft and they took him.  He had signability concerns as he had committed to UCLA I believe, but the Yanks took the gamble at pick 22(?) in the hopes that his being a Yankees fan (plus lots of $$) would get him to sign with the team.  In the end he opted to go to college, and as they say the rest is history. 

It will be interesting to see where he signs.  I could see west coast, Yankees, and sticking with the Astros.  Regardless, he's going to get paid silly money.  $30m per or more.  It will be a regrettable contract most likely, as most of the absurd big money deals tend to be before they're over.

• Like 1

Gerrit Cole is not making his scheduled start in the second half of Tuesday's doubleheader against the White Sox.

Cole was warming up in the bullpen at Guaranteed Rate Field about 15 minutes before first pitch, but he was eventually replaced on the mound there by Chris Devenski, who wound up starting the game. There should be an update soon from Chicago.

Cole went from 2 starts this week to 1 start to ?  Per Sporting news:

Gerrit Cole will not pitch against the White Sox on Tuesday.

The Astros righty - and American League Cy Young contender - was warming up for Game 2 of a double-header against the White Sox when he promptly stopped.

He was in the bullpen but left and went to the dugout pointing at his leg in the process.  😭

Could be worse I guess. 

That was almost a certain 10K, 2ER game, with a 1.00 WHIP.  

I can't imagine a DL stint isn't coming.   10.5 game lead in division.  Why even mess around with him.

Edited by B&F

[Posts removed.  The Vent & Rant thread is open for all of your "my season is over" venting needs.  Let's save this for news and updates on his injury.]

On 7/23/2019 at 12:55 PM, Stickfig13 said:

Well the Crawfords failed to recruit Harper, lets see if they can land their own Brother in Law?  Pads have been looking to trade for an ace (Linked to Bauer, Thor,  and supposedly had the coin to pursue Manny and Bryce last offseason, so maybe they take a run at him with that money?  

This injury along with Scherzers missed starts and stanton taking forever to come back probably has my hopes of a title falling short. 

40 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Nice. My only concern is that they hold him until playoffs.

With Peacock coming back, it would make sense. I suspect he’ll be out for a bit. Prob bring him back sooner if the lead dwindles 

They have a big lead in their division but FWIW they are in a close battle with New York for the best record and home field advantage for a possible Yankees-Astros ALCS.

• Like 1

Should be back sooner rather than later, from the sounds of it. Cole doesn't think it's that big of a deal.

PER ESPN
THU, AUG 15, 11:39 AMROTOWIRE.COM

Manager AJ Hinch said Thursday that he expects Cole (hamstring) to slot back into the Houston rotation next week, Jim Bowden of The Athletic reports.

Spin: Hinch didn't pinpoint a specific day for Cole's return, but the presumption is that he'll take the hill when his next turn in the rotation comes up Monday in Detroit. That would set Cole up for a two-start week, with his second turn coming next weekend at home versus the Angels. Before the Astros confirm his availability, however, Cole will likely need to complete a bullpen session and/or throw a live batting practice session to prove his sore right hamstring isn't an issue.
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:29 AM, MSkibisky said:
PER ESPN
THU, AUG 15, 11:39 AMROTOWIRE.COM

Manager AJ Hinch said Thursday that he expects Cole (hamstring) to slot back into the Houston rotation next week, Jim Bowden of The Athletic reports.

Spin: Hinch didn't pinpoint a specific day for Cole's return, but the presumption is that he'll take the hill when his next turn in the rotation comes up Monday in Detroit. That would set Cole up for a two-start week, with his second turn coming next weekend at home versus the Angels. Before the Astros confirm his availability, however, Cole will likely need to complete a bullpen session and/or throw a live batting practice session to prove his sore right hamstring isn't an issue.

I also heard Thur? Anyone got some new updates on his next start? DET should be worth about 12 ks so  hope he gets them

10 hours ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

I also heard Thur? Anyone got some new updates on his next start? DET should be worth about 12 ks so  hope he gets them

ESPN thinks during the series against DET.... I feel bad for Tigers fans - gotta face Verlander and Cole back to back days.

It is a bit risky, but the reward is too great for me to sit in my points league playoffs...