B&F

Gerrit Cole 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It is a bit risky, but the reward is too great for me to sit in my points league playoffs...

Detroit is too risky?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MSkibisky said:

Detroit is too risky?

No just the fact that he could aggravate the injury and HOU plays it very safe with him and further rests him...I know they are playing for home field and Cole is certainly looking to pad his stats as he closes in on free agency--so it def mitigates most of the risk and certainly the matchup is of no issue--no team is for Cole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Detroit is too risky?

Bullpen scheduled for Monday
August 18, 2019
Cole (hamstring) is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Monday afternoon, Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports.
ANALYSIS
A bullpen session Monday puts Cole on schedule to start Thursday after skipping one turn through the rotation due to a right hamstring discomfort. Although the Astros have not made an official announcement about Cole's return, they currently list Thursday's starter as "to be determined."

 

Edit: Was thinking Thur was LAA, carry on.

Edited by kelle1sa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice to get some clarity of the bullpen session before lineups lock. Would hate to miss out on a start against Detroit.

Edited by bigbluecrew56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 11:29 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

No just the fact that he could aggravate the injury and HOU plays it very safe with him and further rests him...I know they are playing for home field and Cole is certainly looking to pad his stats as he closes in on free agency--so it def mitigates most of the risk and certainly the matchup is of no issue--no team is for Cole.

 

I know it was only Detroit, but he looked great tonight

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He deserves to be in the conversation for first pitcher off the board next year.  I would bet he ends up on a contender with his next contract, whether it's Houston or not, so I wouldn't expect him to be starved for run support by any means.  Scherzer will probably be have the highest ADP and Verlander is right up there too, but both of those guys, while super-elite, are getting up there in age, and father time has remained undefeated.  I would probably slot him 2nd behind Scherzer, with Verlander and DeGrom right behind him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

He deserves to be in the conversation for first pitcher off the board next year.  I would bet he ends up on a contender with his next contract, whether it's Houston or not, so I wouldn't expect him to be starved for run support by any means.  Scherzer will probably be have the highest ADP and Verlander is right up there too, but both of those guys, while super-elite, are getting up there in age, and father time has remained undefeated.  I would probably slot him 2nd behind Scherzer, with Verlander and DeGrom right behind him.

Verlander always gets snubbed in ADP rankins compared to Max, and for the life of me I can't understand why. Is Max really worth 25 picks higher than Verlander? I think you'll see them both drop next year in ADP rankings just due to their age. I know father time has been loving them, but at some point, you gotta be realistic and realize that they can't keep these numbers up. I look to guys like Snell, Cole, Bieber, Buehler to fill the top SP picks as guys like Verlander and Max check into the retirement facilities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's gonna end up a Yankee.

I think how the Yankees go into 2020 will dictate that. It's clear they love him, they drafted him right out of high school, and if the Yankees postseason ends without a world series win due to lack of arms, you can be sure their front office will be pushing for Cole hard. not to mention, there isn't too much pitching open for FA this offseason. Ryu could very well end up in pinstripes too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSkibisky said:

Verlander always gets snubbed in ADP rankins compared to Max, and for the life of me I can't understand why. Is Max really worth 25 picks higher than Verlander? I think you'll see them both drop next year in ADP rankings just due to their age. I know father time has been loving them, but at some point, you gotta be realistic and realize that they can't keep these numbers up. I look to guys like Snell, Cole, Bieber, Buehler to fill the top SP picks as guys like Verlander and Max check into the retirement facilities. 

Redraft: Cole, Scherzer, Verlander, Degrom, Buehler

Keeper: Cole, Buehler, Snell, Bieber, Giolito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Redraft: Cole, Scherzer, Verlander, Degrom, Buehler

Keeper: Cole, Buehler, Snell, Bieber, Giolito

sounds about right. I'd throw Nola in the Keeper mix too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's gonna end up a Yankee.

Cole grew up in Orange County.  Went to UCLA.  Met his wife at UCLA.  I'm guessing Angels will give him whatever he wants to come back home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangeglove said:

Cole grew up in Orange County.  Went to UCLA.  Met his wife at UCLA.  I'm guessing Angels will give him whatever he wants to come back home.

Last year everyone was saying that Machado was going to an east coast team. They said Harper wanted Chicago or California and didn’t like the city of Philadelphia. In the end, they followed the money which is what I expect Cole to do. I’d also expect Cole’s agent to use that narrative to drive up the offers from other non-California teams.

I think just about every team in baseball should be in on Cole. The Dodgers are currently only 9th in committed payroll for next year so you know they’ll be in on him. The team that makes a ton of sense to me is the White Sox. They currently are last in payroll for next year with a measly $23 million on the books. Throw a ton of $$ at Cole and they’d be looking at a rotation of Cole, Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, and Cease. Add in young, controllable position players like Vaughn, Madrigal, Anderson, Moncada, Robert, and Eloy and they become an immediate contender poised for long term success. They’d also have the money to resign Abreu and go out and sign another outfielder like Puig.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

If the Yankees don't win the WS,  I think they will outbid everybody for Cole.   Scott Boras is his agent and always goes with the money.

Cole is exactly the stud pitcher the Yanks need to anchor their staff.   Great offense, bullpen and probably Severino next year should be attractive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cole will look good wearing Dodger Blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does Gerrit Cole have 1 or 2 starts this week? In our cbs league we only get 7 starts per week. For Cole it's saying he's going to pitch the 28th vs TB and then the 30th vs TOR, which puts me at 8 starts for the week. But there's no way that's correct, unless Houston is trying to break Cole's arm right before heading into playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Heroebal said:

So does Gerrit Cole have 1 or 2 starts this week? In our cbs league we only get 7 starts per week. For Cole it's saying he's going to pitch the 28th vs TB and then the 30th vs TOR, which puts me at 8 starts for the week. But there's no way that's correct, unless Houston is trying to break Cole's arm right before heading into playoffs.

Yeah not sure what CBS was programming with that listing, but I checked probables and he goes WED the 28th v TB...

So that should lead us to forecast a get-away game @ MIL next Tues and likely a home sunday start v SEA to follow for the double-dip next week #giddyup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same thing, I let my commish and my opponent kno that I have “one too many” starts because he isn’t pitching Tuesday and Thursday. I even opened a help ticket with cbs to fix it. Not that I think it’ll help it actually b fixed, but just to help my case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They finally fixed it for Cole. Frustrating for me though. It's first playoff week for me and it looks like Buehler's 2nd start on Sunday start got pushed to Monday. 

 

Meaning I miss a start now and we get 1 start replacement due to injury or rotation change. So now I get to lobby for a start replacement after the Cole deal.

 

But it makes it feel/look like I'm manipulating the system. I could just leave it as is b/c I'm up 168 to 102 as of now. I have 3 pitchers left he has 4.

I should win anyhow, but you never know with baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I've been chasing a 2 week start from Cole for about a month, still can't find it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.