B&F

Gerrit Cole 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

19 minutes ago, staj18 said:

GOAT

I love Cole, and he is having a monster year, but don't go throwing that word around here. Let me know when Cole touches this:

1997:  17-8   1.90ERA  .93WHIP   303K

1999 : 23-4   2.07ERA  .92WHIP   313K

2000 : 18-6   1.74ERA, .73WHIP   284K

Pedroooo

Edited by MSkibisky
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

I love Cole, and he is having a monster year, but don't go throwing that word around here. Let me know when Cole touches this:

1997:  17-8   1.90ERA  .93WHIP   303K

1999 : 23-4   2.07ERA  .92WHIP   313K

2000 : 18-6   1.74ERA, .73WHIP   284K

Pedroooo

Pretty sure 90% of the time goat is thrown around they don't actually believe he's literally the greatest of all time lol. Thanks for the research though! 

1 hour ago, mmcc1029 said:

Pretty sure 90% of the time goat is thrown around they don't actually believe he's literally the greatest of all time lol. Thanks for the research though! 

any reason to flaunt Pedro's numbers is a good enough excuse for me ;) 

• Like 2

18th pitcher since 1900 to reach 300 Ks in a season and hasn't lost a start since May (a span of 20 starts)...Scherzer and Verlander will be tempting and have cases too but I would definitely make a case for Cole being the 1st pitcher off the board next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmoney23 said:

18th pitcher since 1900 to reach 300 Ks in a season and hasn't lost a start since May (a span of 20 starts)...Scherzer and Verlander will be tempting and have cases too but I would definitely make a case for Cole being the 1st pitcher off the board next year.

easily imo

Cole>>>>>>>Verlander AL cy young

it reminds me of the Randy Johnson & Curt Schilling cy Young battle in 2001 with the DiamondBacks.

Edited by The_Real_Deal
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

gonna look good in yankee pinstripes 

As a fellow Yankee fan myself, I really think he’s going to the Angels to be in his hometown 

10 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Cole>>>>>>>Verlander AL cy young

Based on what? The 300 Ks?

To me it seems very close. Verlander could reach 20 wins on Sunday, which I think would put him over the top. Another start after that would also probably push JV to 300 Ks, which would just about seal it. 

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Based on what? The 300 Ks?

To me it seems very close. Verlander could reach 20 wins on Sunday, which I think would put him over the top. Another start after that would also probably push JV to 300 Ks, which would just about seal it. 

As much as i want to say it should be Cole hands down, then numbers are EXTREMELY close, almost identical. In a juiced ball season, these two guys have been absolutely lights out. I think the remainder of the season will be the tie-breaker. 

The K/9 adv goes to Cole

The H/9 and BB/9 adv goes to Verlander

W/L are almost identical.

I literally call it 50/50 right now, with the remainder of the season. If it stays constant with these two, Its a coin flip, and any "Oh he's got it for sure" it based purely on being a fan or not. Its THAT close.

22 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

As much as i want to say it should be Cole hands down, then numbers are EXTREMELY close, almost identical. In a juiced ball season, these two guys have been absolutely lights out. I think the remainder of the season will be the tie-breaker. 

The K/9 adv goes to Cole

The H/9 and BB/9 adv goes to Verlander

W/L are almost identical.

I literally call it 50/50 right now, with the remainder of the season. If it stays constant with these two, Its a coin flip, and any "Oh he's got it for sure" it based purely on being a fan or not. Its THAT close.

Agreed.  Verlanders No-no breaks any ties imo though

3 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Agreed.  Verlanders No-no breaks any ties imo though

eh, there is where I disagree. Not taking anything away from a no-no, but it was against a very injured, weak Blue Jays lineup. Cole has shut down the Mariners is almost the same fashion, giving up only 1 hit, while striking out 15. He had a few other starts with 2 hits, and 12+ K's. I wouldn't base the decision off of one start, but it is either's to lose after one start for sure imo. 

Edited by MSkibisky

Like I said, it's close. But it seems clear that JV has the advantage at the moment in terms of writers/journalists and what they value. But it's close enough that the remaining 1-2 starts could change that.

For example, I don't think the writers who vote on these things look at "per nine" stats much if at all compared to the obvious surface stats like wins. For example, I think they'd notice JV's 12 IP advantage before any of the per nine stats.

That said, the only obvious surface number Cole has over JV right now is Ks. JV has ERA, wins, and WHIP.

The writers also value stuff like JV's no hitter and reaching the 20 win plateau.

In terms of fantasy Cy Young, it's probably closer than what the writers would have it. But the player rater does give the edge to JV there too.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Like I said, it's close. But it seems clear that JV has the advantage at the moment in terms of writers/journalists and what they value. But it's close enough that the remaining 1-2 starts could change that.

For example, I don't think the writers who vote on these things look at "per nine" stats much if at all compared to the obvious surface stats like wins. For example, I think they'd notice JV's 12 IP advantage before any of the per nine stats.

That said, the only obvious surface number Cole has over JV right now is Ks. JV has ERA, wins, and WHIP.

The writers also value stuff like JV's no hitter and reaching the 20 win plateau.

In terms of fantasy Cy Young, it's probably closer than what the writers would have it. But the player rater does give the edge to JV there too.

Agreed. I'd put it 51/49 in JV favor. Going to be a fun last couple starts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Good point on the no-hitter.  In a situation where the stats are quite close, I think that a single great performance within a season could be a tie breaker.  If I had a vote, I'd lean Verlander, but it is quite close.  Personally, I wouldn't put much substance on wins.  As has been mentioned, Cole has the K's, but Verlander squeaks out the other common metrics of ERA and WHIP...and Verlander's no slouch in K's either.  If he makes two more starts, which he should, he'll also hit that magical 300K mark.  So does the fact that Cole has 20 additional Ks than Verlander make up for Verlander's better numbers in ERA (extremely minimal difference which could change after 1 start for each) and WHIP (0.12 difference when they are both less than 1.00 does separate them a bit on this stat in my opinion)?  Verdict:  I don't think so...Verlander for CY.

4 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

Agreed. I'd put it 51/49 in JV favor. Going to be a fun last couple starts. 

I'd put it 50.5/49.5 in Cole's favour tbh.

Is he a lock to pitch Sunday? I'm in 2 finals with him and really need him. Just curious if theirs any chance they rest him if everything is already locked up.

2 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

Is he a lock to pitch Sunday? I'm in 2 finals with him and really need him. Just curious if theirs any chance they rest him if everything is already locked up.

I would say no, he’s not a lock. I don’t think anyone really knows until something is confirmed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

His first start in the postseason lines up for Saturday Oct 5th so I think they'll want him to pitch this Sunday to keep him on regular schedule. I wouldn't expect him to go too deep into the game though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bregatron said:

It sounds like AJ Hinch and co. want him to go for 20 wins, so I think he's gonna pitch 5.

This is what im hoping for. Like 20 wins then maybe he wants to go all out for the Cy young vs JV. Would be so huge to get that 2nd start in title week. 

Coles been so dynamite. So nice owning pitchers like him and JV.

16 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

This is what im hoping for. Like 20 wins then maybe he wants to go all out for the Cy young vs JV. Would be so huge to get that 2nd start in title week. 

Coles been so dynamite. So nice owning pitchers like him and JV.

With Verlander's "less than dominating" last start and with Cole being untouchable as of late, you would have to assume that if Cole can put up one last 7IP 4H 10+K, he should be solidified as the AL Cy Young..no?

1 hour ago, MSkibisky said:

With Verlander's "less than dominating" last start and with Cole being untouchable as of late, you would have to assume that if Cole can put up one last 7IP 4H 10+K, he should be solidified as the AL Cy Young..no?

Hmmm i dont know JV has that no hitter on the resume and some voters might hook him up as a career achievement award since hes only won it one time.