B&F

Gerrit Cole 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I’d be thrilled with 6 ip, 9 K, W

Edited by Members_Only_76

22 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I’d be thrilled with 6 ip, 9 K, W

I’m thrilled!

• Like 1

So happy to have had him on my team this year but also sad that I will probably never have him on any on my teams again. Is the new Scherzer of the 1st or early 2nd round of drafts next year. 

13 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

So happy to have had him on my team this year but also sad that I will probably never have him on any on my teams again. Is the new Scherzer of the 1st or early 2nd round of drafts next year. 

1. Why?

2. What do you mean by "the new Scherzer"?

• Like 1

It’s crazy how good Cole and Verlander were this year. It looks like Razzball, ESPN, and Yahoo player raters have Verlander being slightly more valuable than Cole. I’d be curious to see how their fantasy seasons stack up against the all time best fantasy seasons from starting pitchers over the last 20 or 30 years if anyone is looking for a topic to write about 😎

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

Cole> Verlander for Cy Young

Can almost guarantee verlander hitting 3,000 and 300 along with more wins, better whip and pretty much same era and slightly less k’s solidified him.  Writers also know they robbed him a few years back and owe him one.

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

It’s crazy how good Cole and Verlander were this year. It looks like Razzball, ESPN, and Yahoo league player raters have Verlander being slightly more valuable than Cole. I’d be curious to see how their fantasy seasons stack up against the all time best fantasy seasons from starting pitchers over the last 20 or 30 years if anyone is looking for a topic to write about 😎

I think their eras hold them back from the top of that list.  Scherzers last 3 years have been comprable.  Kershaw had a 300 k season with better era and multiple years of sub 2 era along with upper 200s ks.  Many will quickly point to Pedro’s dominance.  Randy Johnson and schilling had a similer year together as well.  It’s not a long list above them, but there’s definitely plenty of company.

1 hour ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Can almost guarantee verlander hitting 3,000 and 300 along with more wins, better whip and pretty much same era and slightly less k’s solidified him.  Writers also know they robbed him a few years back and owe him one.

Agree. But If anyone next year says they will take JV over Cole, they are either high or lying.

28 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Agree. But If anyone next year says they will take JV over Cole, they are either high or lying.

Depends on where Cole lands in free agency to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buzzkilloton said:

Depends on where Cole lands in free agency to me. 

TBH, I don't care where he lands. I can't think of a situation where I draft a 36 year old JV over Cole.

3 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

1. Why?

2. What do you mean by "the new Scherzer"?

I never invest in pitchers in the first two rounds. I'm very consistent in winning with this strategy and I trust my ability to find good value arms later. I took Cole as my first pitcher in the third round in my 10 teamer this year. That's as rich as I go for an arm. What i meant about the Scherzer comparison is that he's likely to go in the first round much like Scherzer has been consistently placed the last few years or more. With all that being said by first two picks are the best 5 x 5 offensive players on the board. I doubt i'll see Cole on my team at least for next year. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56

6 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

TBH, I don't care where he lands. I can't think of a situation where I draft a 36 year old JV over Cole.

Personally I think JV is going to be one of those ageless wonder type guys but I love some Cole so not trying to argue about it to much. 

1 minute ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

I never invest in pitchers in the first two rounds. I'm very consistent in winning with this strategy and I trust my ability to find good value arms later. I took Cole as my first pitcher in the third round in my 10 teamer this year. That's as rich as I go for an arm. What i meant about the Scherzer comparison is that he's likely to go in the first round much like Scherzer has been consistently placed the last few years or more. 

Ahh gotcha

Just now, buzzkilloton said:

Personally I think JV is going to be one of those ageless wonder type guys but I love some Cole so not trying to argue about it to much. 

of course I'm not trying to argue either. I have nothing against JV, but at some point, you have to expect regression with age.

• Like 1

Just now, bigbluecrew56 said:

I never invest in pitchers in the first two rounds. I'm very consistent in winning with this strategy and I trust my ability to find good value arms later. I took Cole as my first pitcher in the third round in my 10 teamer this year. That's as rich as I go for an arm. What i meant about the Scherzer comparison is that he's likely to go in the first round much like Scherzer has been consistently placed the last few years or more. 

I think many players agree with this strategy. I much prefer the upside of drafting a top 3 overall arm mid 2nd-3rd in 12 teamers then trying to take the top arms in the 1st round. I'll be focusing my attention to guys like Walker B,Clev,and Jack F for example a little later then trying to nab a Cole/JV in the first round. I had a great year this season with this strategy grabbing up JV is he fell and Cole in many leagues but not going after the big fish Sale/Max/Degrom. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, buzzkilloton said:

I think many players agree with this strategy. I much prefer the upside of drafting a top 3 overall arm mid 2nd-3rd in 12 teamers then trying to take the top arms in the 1st round. I'll be focusing my attention to guys like Walker B,Clev,and Jack F for example a little later then trying to nab a Cole/JV in the first round. I had a great year this season with this strategy grabbing up JV is he fell and Cole in many leagues but not going after the big fish Sale/Max/Degrom. 

I agree. Luckily, in my money league, I've kept Cole for the past couple years. But in a redraft, I would rather take a Flaherty or Soroka 3-4 rounds after a deGrom or Scherz.

59 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Cole to the Rockies would change many a decision.