Sign in to follow this  
DerrickHenrysCleats

T. J. Yeldon 2019 Outlook

6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

CMC says hi.

And Cam struggled through injury and an offensive scheme change. They dialed back Cam's running last season. The Panthers are using CMC as a receiver anyway. He is out there running routes from the backfield.

The QB running also limits rushing TD's when a QB has a habit of scrambling around the GL. Allen was scoring a lot of their rush TD's last season.

Yeldon isn't close to CMC as a receiver.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BMcP said:

I think it really comes down to an appalling lack of accuracy - I posted a lengthy explanation of his inaccuracy in his player outlook thread.  I mean, anything is possible, and I don’t think he can get worse, but I don’t see any cause for optimism at this particular moment.

Yeah, I mentioned the accuracy issues in my post.  That's a real concern, and why I would have probably not drafted him if I was an NFL GM.  But the accuracy issues mean he will never be a guy who completes 70% of his passes like the best at his position.  It doesn't mean he will throw for 52.8% completion percentage every year.  He can get into the 55-59% range.

Cause for optimism?  It's everything I mentioned in my post, which you can ignore if you like.  But all of that should help him be better in year 2 than he was in year 1, which is all I'm saying.  And I think given the situation he was thrown into in his first year, he came off pretty well.  I hope as he gets used to the NFL and gets a better team around him he won't be so quick to run the ball and he'll be a more effective passer.

We'll see.  None of us knows at this point.  If I had a dime for every wildly incorrect prediction made on this forum I'd be a millionaire many times over.

As for Yeldon, I'm just not afraid of his geriatric competition.  Remember, no one is drafting Allen or Yeldon early in their draft.  They are bench players.  Yeldon specifically, you draft him knowing he may do squat for you.  He's one of the last picks a person would make.  But he might also get a lot of playing time if one of the two ahead of him falters (not unlikely).  As for his QB and how that affects him, his QB to this point has been Blake Bortles, who sucks,  How much of a downgrade is Allen?  All that said I probably wouldn't draft him assuming that it's clear from camp that he's the #3 guy and won't get much playing time if Gore and McCoy are healthy.  There are probably better gambles to take at the start of the year and you hope you can get Yeldon during the season if an opportunity opens up for him.

I'd certainly draft Allen as my 2nd QB though.  I wouldn't want him as my #1.  But he will put up a bunch of great weeks, like he did in his first season, and I'd probably be comfortable rolling him out there most weeks if I had to.

• Like 3

If the reports out of Buffalo are true and Shady is about to be on his way out TJ Yeldon just got super interesting...

Weeks 2-9 he was the RB8 last season when Fournette went down.

• Like 1

As down as I am on the Bills, I think Yeldon has real potential as a late pick. McCoy and Gore are all but done. An underrated talent.

8 hours ago, mdw5048 said:

If the reports out of Buffalo are true and Shady is about to be on his way out TJ Yeldon just got super interesting...

Weeks 2-9 he was the RB8 last season when Fournette went down.

I don’t think those reports are credible. If the Bills didn’t believe in Shady then he would already be gone. But they have a serious log jam with Shady, Gore, Yeldon, and Singletary, something has to give. Yeldon and Singletary definitely offer the best value late.

Just now, daethfromabove1979 said:

I don’t think those reports are credible. If the Bills didn’t believe in Shady then he would already be gone. But they have a serious log jam with Shady, Gore, Yeldon, and Singletary, something has to give. Yeldon and Singletary definitely offer the best value late.

Exactly... both the Bills GM and coaching staff have given McCoy nothing but praise and assurances that he'll be the guy this year.
Yeldon won't see the field unless there's an injury, or unlikely event that there's a trade.

He's a better stash for 2020 when he and Singletary will be the only RBs carried over from this season.  

22 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

Exactly... both the Bills GM and coaching staff have given McCoy nothing but praise and assurances that he'll be the guy this year.
Yeldon won't see the field unless there's an injury, or unlikely event that there's a trade.

He's a better stash for 2020 when he and Singletary will be the only RBs carried over from this season.  

Yeldon was better in 2018 than McCoy. 

Nothing but praise, sure. But I wouldn't be too surprised if after 2-3 games, Shady just isn't the #1 guy anymore.

26 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Nothing but praise, sure. But I wouldn't be too surprised if after 2-3 games, Shady just isn't the #1 guy anymore.

I do think McCoy is done too, he has to be on a pretty short leash. They have a revamped O-line so there’s no excuses this year.

32 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

That's not saying much.... Josh Allen led the team in rushing last year.
There's a much better chance they make an effort to establish a traditional rushing game behind an upgraded offensive line, with Allen making better decisions. In fact, this has been a major point of emphasis early on in the offseason. McCoy is still an elite RB, he just needs the QB and scheme to allow him to work. 

8 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I do think McCoy is done too, he has to be on a pretty short leash. They have a revamped O-line so there’s no excuses this year.

Revamped doesn't mean good. A near total unknown, really.

8 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

McCoy is still an elite RB

He hides it well lol

10 hours ago, bomont said:

Revamped doesn't mean good. A near total unknown, really.

Probably not gonna be worse though is it.

No, probably at least a little better, maybe lots. Just hard to make a call given the total overhaul.

It was a solid debut for Allen with some of his new weapons around him. But it is fair to say that among the Bills’ active backs no one looked worse than Yeldon. The back was held to eight yards on two carries. One of his carries saw him cough up the ball when the Bills were in scoring position in the second quarter.

Most think Yeldon will not make the final 53. 

1 hour ago, AirForceOne said:

It was a solid debut for Allen with some of his new weapons around him. But it is fair to say that among the Bills’ active backs no one looked worse than Yeldon. The back was held to eight yards on two carries. One of his carries saw him cough up the ball when the Bills were in scoring position in the second quarter.

Most think Yeldon will not make the final 53. 

Yeah it doesn't look like he will be with Buffalo so will be interested to see where he lands, could be a good receiving back somewhere.

1 minute ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Yeah it doesn't look like he will be with Buffalo so will be interested to see where he lands, could be a good receiving back somewhere.

If he looks that bad to Buffalo's CS, how many 'better' situations could Yeldon find himself in?  This has to already be one of the shallowest backfields to break into.

21 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

If he looks that bad to Buffalo's CS, how many 'better' situations could Yeldon find himself in?  This has to already be one of the shallowest backfields to break into.

They're paying McCoy a lot so he's going to play, I can't see them cutting Gore, they just drafted Singletary and are high on him. He's just the odd man out and hasn't got any first team work all training camp. I think he's a decent player and someone would pick him up, maybe Tampa? maybe goes back to Jacksonville?

I was surprised he didnt land somewhere until right before the draft, so i'm not sure what kind of market awaits him if/when he's cut.   I suppose he's a good fit for the Chargers if the Gordon thing continues, but I still think he'd be the third guy for touches there.  

Just now, Sean Tambo said:

T.J. anybody????

Shady gone, Bills playing from behind, Yeldon looking a lil bit intriguing..

Who said Bills playing from behind? Don't be surprised if the Bills have a top-5 defense.

Yeldon stinks. It's Singletary / Gore with a sprinkle of Yeldon 

I think it would have to be a really really deep league to want or need this guy. I don't think there will be much left after Singletary and Gore get theirs. 

So TJ is 3rd in line behind a rookie and a 36 year old Gore. I think this is TJs backfield by week 5 or 6 due to lack of performance from the other 2 or injury.

18 minutes ago, jwork said:

So TJ is 3rd in line behind a rookie and a 36 year old Gore. I think this is TJs backfield by week 5 or 6 due to lack of performance from the other 2 or injury.

I think Gore could outperform Yeldon even if he were 46. Injury yeah that will be a way Yeldon will get a lot of touches but I just don’t think he’s very good. There’s got to be better RB injury lotto tickets on the wire. 

I think the Bills backfield is going to be one to avoid for the most part.  The rook is the best option in the trio imo, but he's also more of a 3d down, change of pace, receiving back who plays with a QB who struggles to throw accurate passes to anyone, including RBs in the flat.  It will probably be some sort of 40, 30, 30 split.  The most frustrating kind in fantasy.

2 minutes ago, pjbyrne707 said:

Singletary out with a hamstring injury...anything to see here? 

... yeah, Gore turning back the clock and delivering rb1 #s in the Bison's home opener vs der Bunglez. 

Yertle the Turtle will get ya sum PPR, but the Tank gonna eat.  early.  and often.