Sign in to follow this  
Yanks#1

Casey Mize - P - DET

Surprised not to find a thread for this first round pick.

So far in 2019 he has three outings where he’s allowed one hit. Also only one walk in 26 IP with nearly a K per inning. Granted it’s only A ball, but this could escalate his rise.

1 hour ago, Yanks#1 said:

Surprised not to find a thread for this first round pick.

So far in 2019 he has three outings where he’s allowed one hit. Also only one walk in 26 IP with nearly a K per inning. Granted it’s only A ball, but this could escalate his rise.

Thanks! Yeah he's way to good for High-A, he should be in AA as soon as the weather warms a bit...

I've seen enough (was already very high on him) that he's vaulted past Whitley into my top overall pitching prospect in the minors. It's an ace package with Mize.

I can see him coming up next season and never looking back, going to be a draft day stash target of mine next season in keepers

Potential for 5 plus pitches here. He's added a slurve to his arsenal which has gotten great reviews (some say plus). 

Fastball, Slider, Slurve, Splitter, Cutter

Promoted to AA. That was fast. If he continues to dominate he will be on fast track to bigs. Will be interesting to see how he performs at this level. Wouldn’t rule out a September call up.

• Thanks 1

Clearly on the fast-track as far as talent, but what's the incentive for the Tigers to bring him up at all this year? They'd be wise to play the Vladdy waiting game.

Definitely wonder whether they'll just play the service-time game.   One reason to bring him up would be to give the fans a bit of sunshine---that depends a bit on how the year goes for them, and how ownership thinks about ticket sales and such

6 no-hit innings so far in his AA debut. 59 total pitches (threw 4 pitches in the bottom of the 6th).

• Like 1

HE'S DONE IT!!!! Just an incredible debut!

Final line - 9 IP, 0 Hits, 1BB, 7 K's, 98 pitches (70 for strikes)

• Like 3

This was footage from a previous no-hitter while with Auburn (no video from tonight's no-hitter available yet that I can see)

Edited by Dark One

He's jumped every pitching prospect for me besides Whitley, and that might be closer at this point. Not crazy to say he's top 10 now, especially when Eloy/Vlad/Tatis/Robles graduate, conservativley top 15 I  think. 

• Like 3

What's the chance he makes his MLB debut this year? 5%? I want to stash in a shallow keeper that has no N/A spot, but not if there's no chance he'll get promoted aggressively

35 ip, 32 k, 2 BB so far in AA. Seems like he should be moved along fairly quickly. With that said, he won't be 22 for another couple of days so maybe the Tigers organization will take their time with him this year and let him marinate in AA for a little. 

14 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

What's the chance he makes his MLB debut this year? 5%? I want to stash in a shallow keeper that has no N/A spot, but not if there's no chance he'll get promoted aggressively

The Tigers are re-building. So there is no reason for aggressive promotions.

Edited by Slatykamora

11 hours ago, Del Rio said:

I've thought about this and it makes no sense from a strategic standpoint to call him up this year, but at the same time if he keeps dominating the minor leagues like this it's going to look silly quickly.  We are still in April.  If he throws another dominating performance, AAA watch is very much on. I would actually put the number a decent amount higher than 5%, for now I'm going to just say 30.

Pitchers get held back for service time less than hitters, and there''s a very clear path to playing time in Det. This isn't an Astros situation where you can justify keeping a stud down.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I've thought about this and it makes no sense from a strategic standpoint to call him up this year, but at the same time if he keeps dominating the minor leagues like this it's going to look silly quickly.  We are still in April.  If he throws another dominating performance, AAA watch is very much on. I would actually put the number a decent amount higher than 5%, for now I'm going to just say 30.

Pitchers get held back for service time less than hitters, and there''s a very clear path to playing time in Det. This isn't an Astros situation where you can justify keeping a stud down.

I agree. There’s no incentive for Detroit but if he continues to “dominate” 2-3 more starts in AA, he will be promoted to AAA. He’s already throwing a high number of innings and pitches per outing for a prospect which is typically a large barrier for promotion of young starting pitchers. This guy looks like the real deal.