Sign in to follow this  
Yanks#1

Casey Mize - P - DET

He'll be with the Tigs some time this season - maybe even before August.  MILB innings no different than MLB innings for workload. Manning and Mize both - give the Tiger fans something to get excited about and put some butts in the seats over the long summer. 

• Like 1

I grabbed Manning as a hold in my keeper but a player can only be held in this league if they make an appearance (prospect wise). For a $1, they’d be $6 to retain. Should I run and get Mize also? Faedo is the one furthest away for sure.

Manning is still mainly a live armed 2 pitch guy developing.

Mize has all the MLB starting pitcher traits in spades. 

Edited by Slatykamora

4 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Think he’s overtaken Whitley as the top MiLb arm atm?

Maybe, but not sure why it matters because he is showing elite abilities....I think this season is going to come down to the performance when he pushes 100+ innings. I think he faded last year after throwing a full season in college. I would love to see him sustain some dominance and get well above 100 innings. This is all about next year at this point. If he dominates and gets the call early next year he could throw 150-175 innings and then in 2021 have the leash to throw 200+. Very exciting to see him perform at this high level. He is obviously very skilled. 

9 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

He should be up this year. He is a dominant pitcher

You are looking at performance and that is most definitely not the priority for a rebuilding team. In my opinion, rebuilding teams as far away from being competitive as the Tigers are should have their top 3 priorities as: player control, player control, and player control. 

He needs to build up innings to get to 200+ in the majors. Bringing him up now just means one less year of cost controlled performance when the Tigers should be done with a rebuild and competing. It is terrible to say performance isn't the driver, but it is a business and calling him up is bad business. In the minors they can limit the usage of splitters and sliders to "work" on other pitches that are less stressful. Sad to say, but baseball is becoming less and less of a meritocracy. 

18 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

You are looking at performance and that is most definitely not the priority for a rebuilding team. In my opinion, rebuilding teams as far away from being competitive as the Tigers are should have their top 3 priorities as: player control, player control, and player control. 

He needs to build up innings to get to 200+ in the majors. Bringing him up now just means one less year of cost controlled performance when the Tigers should be done with a rebuild and competing. It is terrible to say performance isn't the driver, but it is a business and calling him up is bad business. In the minors they can limit the usage of splitters and sliders to "work" on other pitches that are less stressful. Sad to say, but baseball is becoming less and less of a meritocracy. 

He pitched 120 innings at Auburn last year.

I know Detroit won't call him up due to service time but I don't think it's because he can't go 200 innings, I know it's just business I'm just saying he is good enough to be up right now 

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

He pitched 120 innings at Auburn last year.

I know Detroit won't call him up due to service time but I don't think it's because he can't go 200 innings, I know it's just business I'm just saying he is good enough to be up right now 

Agreed. He faded in minor league ball last year so I think he needs one more year to build up the inning count. I think he gets a full season in the minors and then they come up with some reason to hold him back for control purposes next year. It is pretty frustrating. Baseball could be so much more interesting and competitive if everyone just fired their bullets and saw who was left standing at the end of the year. 

• Thanks 1

5 more shutout innings, two hits, an unearned run, 4 Ks. and no walks

Clearly they are managing his innings pitched already, pulling him after 5.  And clearly he's a stud.

Tigers RHP prospect Casey Mize fired eight scoreless frames on Sunday for Double-A Erie.

Mize allowed just four hits and a pair of walks, and he struck out six. Since being promoted to the Eastern League, the 22-year-old has a 1.40 ERA, and his season mark drops to 0.97 over 64 2/3 innings at the High-A and Double-A levels. Mize looks like one of -- if not thee -- best pitching prospects in baseball, and at this point, no one should be surprised if he gets a chance to pitch for the Tigers in 2019. This has all escalated very quickly for the first pick of the 2018 MLB Draft.

2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Tigers RHP prospect Casey Mize fired eight scoreless frames on Sunday for Double-A Erie.

Mize allowed just four hits and a pair of walks, and he struck out six. Since being promoted to the Eastern League, the 22-year-old has a 1.40 ERA, and his season mark drops to 0.97 over 64 2/3 innings at the High-A and Double-A levels. Mize looks like one of -- if not thee -- best pitching prospects in baseball, and at this point, no one should be surprised if he gets a chance to pitch for the Tigers in 2019. This has all escalated very quickly for the first pick of the 2018 MLB Draft.

Why would the Tigers bring him up to the bigs this season? I don’t see it happening. 

1 minute ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

Why would the Tigers bring him up to the bigs this season? I don’t see it happening. 

To get some butts in the seat? I don't think it's likely either FWIW.

• Thanks 1

If Mize continues to dominate and throw up blanks the Tigers will bring him up.

Not bringing him up would be worse for his development than leaving him in a league he doesn't belong in.

My favorite dynasty pitcher that I have owned in at least the last 10 years. I think he is clearly the best pitching prospect since Stras. I know his hype is reaching all time high, but if I had any opportunity to buy high I certainly still would be. 

I fully agree. This kid has electric stuff! And if it hasn't been said already, I definitely think he surpassed Whitley as the top right handed pitching prospect. 

5 hours ago, TheDarkside85 said:

I fully agree. This kid has electric stuff! And if it hasn't been said already, I definitely think he surpassed Whitley as the top right handed pitching prospect. 

I think he already has surpassed Whitley 

Mize has clearly surpassed Whitley, though that has as much to do with Forrest’s struggles as it does Casey’s success.

The real question is how many other pitchers have moved ahead of Whitley, but that’s for a different thread.

19 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Mize has clearly surpassed Whitley, though that has as much to do with Forrest’s struggles as it does Casey’s success.

The real question is how many other pitchers have moved ahead of Whitley, but that’s for a different thread.

I’d like to see this thread