Sign in to follow this  
Yanks#1

Casey Mize - P - DET

Maybe he will get a cup of Joe in September....I don't see him getting promoted now 

35 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

I’d like to see this thread

Can't be too many. Whitley has an un-godley repertoire. You'd have to be way way way too reactionary to downgrade him for struggling as a 21 year old in AAA.

Mize has a case because his Repertoire that comes with more polish/command.

He's older than Whitley though, so he's suppose have more polish from his 3 years of college. Mize has pitched over 350 innings since high school. Whitley only has around 150 IP since high school. It's not really a fair comparison in terms of who will have a better career.

He's had way way more time to improve his command/control and harness his stuff. Even if Whitely came into MLB org first.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2

Well this isn't good:

Fri, Jun 14

Tigers pitching prospect Casey Mize exited Thursday's start at Double-A Erie due to right shoulder soreness.

Advice: There's no word yet on the severity of the ailment, but obviously it's not the best news. The No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 Draft, Mize has posted a dominant 0.95 ERA in 12 starts between High- and Double-A this season. The Tigers should have more on his status before long.

Another interesting tidbit - he warmed up for his start last night, then sat for almost two hours in a rain delay and never warmed again before the game officially began:

Between A and AA combine for 2019 Casey has;

ERA - 0.92

WHIP - 0.69

75K's vs 12BB's over 78 innings pitched.

Already has a no-hitter on the resume.

Nice season this far for the best pitching prospect in baseball.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Between A and AA combine for 2019 Casey has;

ERA - 0.92

WHIP - 0.69

75K's vs 12BB's over 78 innings pitched.

Already has a no-hitter on the resume.

Nice season this far for the best pitching prospect in baseball.

Not to be rude, but everyone who frequents the Mize thread is well aware of all of this. He's recovering from shoulder inflammation.  I'm sure I'm not alone when I ask: Can we not bump this thread with random thoughts about the kid? Lets keep it to updates on his recovery.

43 minutes ago, blinkfan77 said:

Not to be rude, but everyone who frequents the Mize thread is well aware of all of this. He's recovering from shoulder inflammation.  I'm sure I'm not alone when I ask: Can we not bump this thread with random thoughts about the kid? Lets keep it to updates on his recovery.

He did that to passively aggressively dig at people in the Gore thread who disagreed with his random claim that Mize was the number one pitching prospect.

Anyhow, Mize is a special prospect. Does he get the call this year?

Edited by ThreadKiller

On 6/23/2019 at 5:34 PM, ThreadKiller said:

He did that to passively aggressively dig at people in the Gore thread who disagreed with his random claim that Mize was the number one pitching prospect.

Anyhow, Mize is a special prospect. Does he get the call this year?

I don't expect the call until mid-April.  Detroit has at least 2 more years until they can be competitive, so they'll want that extra year of control.  I do believe Mize is ready now(assuming his shoulder is okay), but if M.Manning continues dominating through the end of 2019, they may come up together mid-late April to bring some excitement to Detroit. 

Mize at AA tonight:

6 IP, 4 Hits, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 91 pitches (57 for strikes), velocity normal

He's back

• Like 3

Plus plus splitter. Plus FB and Slider. Plus command. Mature personality.

Seems like health is the only thing that could stop him from being above average from Day 1 in the majors and possibly already borderline star.

Now that offense reigns supreme again I give these top pitching prospects extra value.

Edited by papasmurf

Has anyone watched his last few starts since coming back from the shoulder issue?  He's been destroyed 2 out of his last 3 starts.  Here's to hoping the Tigers aren't letting him pitch through pain/soreness!!

Are we still expecting a call up in 2020 if they play?

On 3/29/2020 at 6:48 PM, pbjfb said:

Are we still expecting a call up in 2020 if they play?

Are we still so sure he's better than Skubal?  Prospect rankings clearly say so but personally I wouldn't trade my Skubal straight up for Mize just based on the upside end of the two players.

8 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Are we still so sure he's better than Skubal?  Prospect rankings clearly say so but personally I wouldn't trade my Skubal straight up for Mize just based on the upside end of the two players.

I own both and am sure Skubby will start out ok, but the league will catch up to him, as where Mize will/should get better over time

On 3/31/2020 at 11:42 AM, FouLLine said:

I do like tarik more, but I don't think he has a chance to being called up this year as compared to mize or Manning or funk houser