Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

[I think we're good on the discussion and meta-discussion of Trout's call-up.  Let's bring the discussion back to Vlad.]

On 5/7/2019 at 3:34 PM, exaulz said:

Is there some statcast data that can point to something other than just plain old being bad? 

There really isn't. He's a mess right now. Worst launch angle in baseball. Hasn't barreled anything. 73% ground ball rate. Just brutal numbers and peripherals.

The only promising thing I see are his MiLB track record and the pitchers not giving him much to hit, which indicates major league scouts think there's reason to fear his at bats. I'd definitely buy from nervous owners in dynasty leagues, but this is so bleak right now I'm probably not interested in redrafts. I think he's perfectly capable of better production, but until he stops swinging at the garbage he's seeing they're going to keep throwing him slop and letting him roll over the ball like a lousier version of current day Pujols.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

I am going to have to correct you. he is the next "Ted Williams" many have said.

I get the excitement. I was excited for his call up and I don’t even own him. For the first few games I watched his ABs on the MLB app. 

People  seem to think he’s a lock to be a superstar and calling him trout, Ted Williams , etc is going a bit to far. 

We have seen big prospects crush the minors but that doesn’t always carry over to the majors. 

I think he has a good chance to become a stat but some people need to slow down. One guy said he would hit 42 homers this year. 

Oh boy, Vlad earned a promotion and is batting 2nd now. He earned it!

Hopefully he sees better pitches and maybe an extra PA every other game now. 

Vladito vs Dylan Covey and the White Sox 'pen. Calling my shot: 2 xbh with at least one clearing the fences today. Today's the day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Vladito vs Dylan Covey and the White Sox 'pen. Calling my shot: 2 xbh with at least one clearing the fences today. Today's the day. 

I'm calling zero for four, two ks, two ground-outs.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Montoya finally heard the rotoworld cries about getting Vladdy in the two spot for a jump start. Let's see if the kid sees a fastball or two. He really should not swing at bad pitches and just take his walks. 

37 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I'm calling zero for four, two ks, two ground-outs.  

Sorry you missed out on him!  Maybe next year 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Oh boy, Vlad earned a promotion and is batting 2nd now. He earned it!

Hopefully he sees better pitches and maybe an extra PA every other game now. 

To be fair one could argue in this lineup he actually did earn it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magoo said:

To be fair one could argue in this lineup he actually did earn it.

probably should have been somewhere there to begin with, but he sure hasn't earned it based on the past 2 weeks

Damn here I thought Bill McKinnley was ample protection for a young rook.  He’s facing Big Mac chasing Maris type pressure right now.  No pitcher wants to be plastered all over MLB network and espn after giving up first homer to the chosen one.  Once he gets a dong under his belt I bet he settles in nicely.  Until then he’s going to get fed junk.  Just needs to capitalize on one mistake.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

no way Vlad can play OF. he is Sandoval lite. no pun intended.

Edited by mlb2019

Kid has floundered a little, but he should have had Smoak next to him in the order from the jump. 

1 hour ago, Strike Three said:

Sorry you missed out on him!  Maybe next year 

This continues to be the weakest take in the forum....

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

If you’ve changed your opinion about him after 41 PAs, this isn’t the sport for you.

That’s not the point , the point is all these biased owners had him penciled in for 30hr 90/90 runs/rbis while batting .300

Of course Vladdy is special we all know that.

10 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

That’s not the point , the point is all these biased owners had him penciled in for 30hr 90/90 runs/rbis while batting .300

Hes still going too. Hot streak is coming any day now. 

• Like 2

His first game is still his best game. Lol, he is not what I thought he was. Maybe he needs to lay down a bunt to get himself going. Because whatever he’s doing is not working. Every player on the Jays roster is better than him now. 

I haven’t been able to catch any of his abs. Is he trying to be his daddy and chase pitches bouncing in the dirt?

15 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

Clearly then I wasn’t talking to you then. See:

25 minutes ago, Krambone said:

His first game is still his best game. Lol, he is not what I thought he was. Maybe he needs to lay down a bunt to get himself going. Because whatever he’s doing is not working. Every player on the Jays roster is better than him now. 

2 hits and 2 walks. Too bad he got caught stealing. Only a matter of time before the "he sucks" crowd dig a hole to crawl into for the rest of the year. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

2 hits and 2 walks. Too bad he got caught stealing. Only a matter of time before the "he sucks" crowd dig a hole to crawl into for the rest of the year. 

Not that it matters in the long run, but the CS was strike em out(Swinging)/throw em out with Smoak at the plate.  I didn't see the play but could have been a hit & run? Hopefully the 2/2 starts something.