Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Good for the kid finally taking his walks and not hitting the pitchers pitch. 

Not sure if you’ve been watching Juan games or not but I’d bet good money that Vlad leads the league since his call-up I’m taken strikes that were out of the zone (bad calls). Umps are not doing him any favors when he is taking balls to “take his walks” and they routinely blow the call.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Not sure if you’ve been watching Juan games or not but I’d bet good money that Vlad leads the league since his call-up I’m taken strikes that were out of the zone (bad calls). Umps are not doing him any favors when he is taking balls to “take his walks” and they routinely blow the call.

Noticed this too. His eye is incredible. 

28 minutes ago, buzzkilloton said:

This is going to be the last time you can buy him low all season. 

Keeper leagues are only leagues who should be attacking buy lows.  In redraft this is the worst lineup in the AL, and second worst in MLB behind Miami Marlins.  There isn’t going to be any counting stats to go around in this moribund lineup.  It will probably get better though as year goes on and they call up more guys/more injuries-grocery baggers get called up on MLB pitching staffs.  But you can’t teally understate how truly horrific this Blue Jays lineup is.  Top to bottom it is a sickening sight.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 11:02 PM, tuesdays said:

Methinks this man hits a home run someday 

take that to the bank 

Yes, some day, but back to the farm first. 

On 5/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, bigbluecrew56 said:

Good for the kid finally taking his walks and not hitting the pitchers pitch. 

Maybe.

On the other hand, maybe this guy should take a lesson from his dad and start swinging away. A rookie isn't going to get the benefit of a good eye the way an established veteran does.

39 minutes ago, JohnR said:

im benching this week...so now he will explode

on behalf of the thread, we thank you for your sacrifice. 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

On the other hand, maybe this guy should take a lesson from his dad 

Needs a lesson from his dad in the gym.

He'll be good no doubt but his ADP in re-draft leagues was hilarious this year.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 11:17 AM, robbybobby005 said:

Great point. I’m surprised it took someone so long to mention Trout’s Initial call up...

My apologies for not perusing the thread before posting. 

And it is worth the comparison to Trout because they’re generational talent. It’s not like we’re comparing Brett Lawrie to Trout here.

2 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Why pitch to him? No one in the Jays lineup poses a threat except for him. This is one of the many downsides to fielding a putrid lineup.

When Vlad hits his 1st MLB home run I am going to rip a shot of tequila while listening to Old Town Road.

Is that still his walk-up music?

• Haha 1

The only explanation is there is no explanation for the struggles. im going to wait another month before i address his performance. all i know is he is stuck on the end of my bench until he shows up 2 games in a row.

3 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Why pitch to him? No one in the Jays lineup poses a threat except for him. This is one of the many downsides to fielding a putrid lineup.

That may be true and a factor but as long as Vlad stays patient (& he will) he is going to get his pitches to hit.

Fun fact:  In '04 when Barry Bonds hit .362/.609/.812 he saw the fewest pitches in the zone (among qualified hitters) at 41.3%, 10% higher than Vladdy Jr is now.

That's not gonna last.

11 minutes ago, Krambone said:

The only explanation is there is no explanation for the struggles. im going to wait another month before i address his performance. all i know is he is stuck on the end of my bench until he shows up 2 games in a row.

Bro he's got a 2 game hitting streak...

20 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

When Vlad hits his 1st MLB home run I am going to rip a shot of tequila while listening to Old Town Road.

Is that still his walk-up music?

Yes and I’m in 

31 minutes ago, Krambone said:

There is absolutely an explanation. He isn't getting many pitches, but when he does swing he's mashing everything into the ground because of a horrible launch angle.

18 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

There is absolutely an explanation. He isn't getting many pitches, but when he does swing he's mashing everything into the ground because of a horrible launch angle.

Are you saying he is doing something wrong in his swing or are you talking results only?  I hope you're just referring to results.

58 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Are you saying he is doing something wrong in his swing or are you talking results only?  I hope you're just referring to results.

A 70+% ground ball rate with his abysmal launch angle points to an issue with his swing. Maybe it's as simple as swinging at too much junk, but there's a problem here.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

A 70+% ground ball rate with his abysmal launch angle points to an issue with his swing. Maybe it's as simple as swinging at too much junk, but there's a problem here.

This is why I love these boards!  Vladdy Jr makes it to the majors a little over 20 years old after putting up a .331/.413/.531 in the minors but you think there's an issue with his swing/launch angle.

Hilarious!