Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

Vlad Jr's last 22 games:

.310/.376/.619

Playing to a 162-game pace of 52 HR, 111 RBI, 104 R, 67 walks, 104 strikeouts over that time.

Now if only people could find it in their hearts to forgive a 20-year-old for a subpar showing in his first 11 major league games...

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

When Vlad was batting 5th he was seeing less pitches in the zone than anyone in baseball. Someone cited that stat. Yes he was chasing too much but he was young and aggressive when he was called up. 

A combination of seeing better pitches from the two hole and being more selective has led to better results. Feel free to dismiss the difference but it is absolutely worth considering. 

And that hasn't changed!  Lowest zone rate in MLB at 34.5% (min 130 PAs).  https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=130&type=5&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31&sort=9,a

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They have GOT to fire Montoyo. Guy is equivalent of a first year NFL HC who goes 1-15 . He sat Guerrero again today. This dude is awful 

1 hour ago, mevins31 said:

They have GOT to fire Montoyo. Guy is equivalent of a first year NFL HC who goes 1-15 . He sat Guerrero again today. This dude is awful 

I know, right!?!?!?

What the hell is the manager doing sitting one of his players for the first time in 3 weeks!?!?!?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

I know, right!?!?!?

What the hell is the manager doing sitting one of his players for the first time in 3 weeks!?!?!?

He last sat may 29. And then may 20. Is that three weeks?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mevins31 said:

He last sat may 29. And then may 20. Is that three weeks?

May 29, his batting line was 1 for 3, 2B and 2 Ks...he sat?

Even if, that was 8 games ago. The way you were complaining, you'd think it was the 2nd or 3rd time he sat this week.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Even if, that was 8 games ago. The way you were complaining, you'd think it was the 2nd or 3rd time he sat this week.

Yea he sat, came in as a PH in a game that went Extra innings.  But agree with the rest of the statement.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 2:00 AM, Gryfter said:

Yeah he entered in the 7th inning that day and it went extras. You said first time in 3 weeks. Even May 20 wasn’t 3 weeks. Just say you were wrong and we can move on. They’re sitting him too often. 

He’s been impressively useless so far. 

Some young guys like Soto, Tatis Jr, Gleyber etc hit the ground running and exceed expectations... others cause the player thread to be filled with people bemoaning “unrealistic expectations,” and a litany of excuses (i.e. hitting 5th). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Yeah he entered in the 7th inning that day and it went extras. You said first time in 3 weeks. Even May 20 wasn’t 3 weeks. Just say you were wrong and we can move on. They’re sitting him too often. 

Whoa, excuse me...2 weeks and 6 days. Yea, you really got me there *mock clap* Feel better? You must be fun at parties, LOL

5 hours ago, absknicks said:

He’s been impressively useless so far. 

Some young guys like Soto, Tatis Jr, Gleyber etc hit the ground running and exceed expectations... others cause the player thread to be filled with people bemoaning “unrealistic expectations,” and a litany of excuses (i.e. hitting 5th). 

Here's an "excuse".

The Toronto hitting coach sucks. 

• Like 1

He’s going to be really good. He’s been so lousy and overrated and this is one of the worst organizations in the game right now 

2 minutes ago, Panthor said:

too bad the hype train is so high on him, can't even buy low on the guy

I would trade him for anything that could help me in a redraft. This guy sucks and needs to go back to aaa for two more years. He will be great in 3 years I think

• Haha 5

So where are all y’all hyping up vladdy as the number 2 hitter ? Told y’all it doesn’t matter about what his per 162 numbers are. Since he’s joined the big leagues he is on average a top 150-200 player when you take into account what everyone else in the majors is doing 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

So where are all y’all hyping up vladdy as the number 2 hitter ? Told y’all it doesn’t matter about what his per 162 numbers are. Since he’s joined the big leagues he is on average a top 150-200 player when you take into account what everyone else in the majors is doing 

Are you even paying attention? Why would you pick this as the time to say this? He’s been smoking everything the past week to all fields. He’s 6 for his last 9 and has been looking great this week. You might want to actually see this guy play baseball to see why everybody is so high on him. His patience and pitch recognition is incredible at age 20. He’s coming along just fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

Since you asked, .304/.358/.544 (that's a .912 OPS), .379 wOBA & 141 wRC+, 7 HRs 16Rs 18 RRIs over 123 PAs. 10BB:19SO.  Definitely one of the WORST 20 year olds to ever play in the majors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Are you even paying attention? Why would you pick this as the time to say this? He’s been smoking everything the past week to all fields. He’s 6 for his last 9 and has been looking great this week. You might want to actually see this guy play baseball to see why everybody is so high on him. His patience and pitch recognition is incredible at age 20. He’s coming along just fine.

totally agree - he definitely passes the eye test on the hype...the stats will come....not everyone tears it up their 1st month or 2 out....I think he is going to raise his game the 2d have and finish strong.  

• Like 1

He's been totally fine and exciting the last week or so. Hit one to the warning track last night too that could've been a HR

I overpaid for him in a dynasty league, and if I hadn't I would be sending out any kind of offer I could for him. He's been pretty great over the past month, and there is still a good chance his value will never be lower than it is right now.

• Like 1

I'm curious if people who took him around his ADP in redraft regret not taking one of the other guys available. In Yahoo he's been traded straight up for Ohtani, Ketel Marte, with John Gray for Stanton and Caleb Smith, for Greinke and W Davis.

Any disappointed owners expecting him to finish the season outside the top 100? 

12 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

I'm curious if people who took him around his ADP in redraft regret not taking one of the other guys available. In Yahoo he's been traded straight up for Ohtani, Ketel Marte, with John Gray for Stanton and Caleb Smith, for Greinke and W Davis.

Any disappointed owners expecting him to finish the season outside the top 100? 

Lmao these redraft guys are so biased when it comes to vladdy , giving him the pass cause of his potential and age. Real life and fantasy are two different things