Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

On 6/21/2019 at 6:49 PM, Cmilne23 said:

This certainly doesn’t help matters.  He’s still trying to get his feet wet in the bigs and now they’re putting him into the elite power hitting competition.  I’m sure he can put on a show in BP for fans which is nice.  But once again this is putting cart before the horse.  The pressure this guy is under is instrumountable.  

You can't be serious. How do you know he is feeling insurmountable pressure?  He's a kid on a team with no expecations. He's fine.

1 minute ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

You can't be serious. How do you know he is feeling insurmountable pressure?  He's a kid on a team with no expecations. He's fine.

Every time he goes to the plate, his dad is on his left shoulder, saying ‘Swiiiiing battah battah battah,’ while Eddie Rogers III follows up on his right shoulder with ‘Saaawing battah’

/s

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

His dad is a Hall Of Famer, I would assume that comes with considerable pressure. Not to mention being the top prospect in baseball.

The reality is none of us have any idea how he's feeling about pressure. Maybe he's felt it his whole life and is used to it so well that he no longer feels it and it's not a big deal. Maybe he's constantly feeling pushed to his emotional brink. It could be either. And when it's both, it's neither as far as we should be concerned. We can just continue to argue about his redraft value and the plate adjustments he's making.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

The reality is none of us have any idea how he's feeling about pressure. Maybe he's felt it his whole life and is used to it so well that he no longer feels it and it's not a big deal. Maybe he's constantly feeling pushed to his emotional brink. It could be either. And when it's both, it's neither as far as we should be concerned. We can just continue to argue about his redraft value and the plate adjustments he's making.

That's exactly my point. It's useless speculation and can't be quantified. The fact that he's only seen 36% of pitches in the zone to date has in all likelihood far more impact. There was also a good write-up I believe yesterday where Michael Salfino in The Athletic wrote up how he is getting the "rookie treatment" as well on pitches around the edges of the strike zone. That combined with seeing so few pitches in the zone really limits the number of opportunities he has to show off his power. But the fringe strikes by umpires shouldn't last, and when it does and he begins to draw more walks pitchers will eventually come into the zone more often. Then it will be go time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

These guys are humans, they aren’t robots.  When Jason Giambi signed his big deal with Yankees he said he felt immense pressure to perform.  Then when he got off to slow start in NY he started getting booed.  Players hear those things.  Vlad Jr has an enormous amount of pressure to live up to hype of prospect status and being son of a legend.  Not to mention when has home run derby in last decade helped anyone’s swing?  Many guys have lost their swings after participating in home run derby.  All I’m saying is let the kid find his swing and footing first before putting him into contests with the best power hitters in baseball.  He has 7 homers for Christ sake when guys are hitting opposite field homers in San Fran at night now.  The only good of him participating in the derby is the format is fast so it will be good cardio for the young fella.  

Edited by Cmilne23

I thought moving to the 2-hole had solved all his problems?? Thanks a lot guys!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cs3 said:

To be fair:

.836 OPS in 2 hole (160 at bats)

.404 OPS in 5 hole (36 at bats)

3/4/9 yielded small sample.

2 hours ago, cs3 said:

LOL these guys really thought he was about to take off

57 minutes ago, Simsanityy179 said:

LOL these guys really thought he was about to take off

The OP was obviously being sarcastic, as usual.

3 hours ago, cs3 said:

He has been much, much better out of the 2 hole than the 5 hole. Remember when you said no coach would ever move him up? Weird flex.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

He always ******** complain every close pitch and most of the time it is a strike!

He feels so entitled, yet, haven't prove s---!

So true.. dude just isn’t ready yet. Immature and thinks like a brat. That’s what happens when kids get coddled their whole life.

• Like 1

He will be great. But for now he just takes such bad AB, mindless. 

Lots of 0-1, 0-2 counts where I’m not sure what he’s even looking for, bad takes on hitters pitches. Then swings at 0-0 first pitch breaking balls off the dish, lots of tap outs. 

It’s just surprising underwhelming but I do blame his organization 

• Like 1

Just now, mevins31 said:

Appreciate the bomb today. For him, that's a huge game. 

Hopefully it gets him going, because it’s looking like I reached BIG time in the redraft league I grabbed him. So did everyone I guess, but the hype got to me for sure. 

He still has really poor AB's. Mindless ones. He is not patient whatsoever. Bat looks slow through the zone. I just am not impressed. Writers and pundits point towards things like "his batted ball data is really good!" when a guy is actually sucking. 

I know at 22 and 24 etc he's going to be a monster. But right now I don't see the 80 hit tool whatsoever nor the 80 power. He looks slow, and sloppy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hits a bomb yesterday. Pop quiz, what’s Charlie Montoyo; worst manager in modern baseball history do the next day (in front of home crowd, holiday weekend)?

ding ding ding 

49 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Hits a bomb yesterday. Pop quiz, what’s Charlie Montoyo; worst manager in modern baseball history do the next day (in front of home crowd, holiday weekend)?

ding ding ding 

While I'll agree this is a bad time to sit.  Home crowd and holiday weekend shouldnt factor into the choice to sit.

The concerning part is it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Compare his approach to Juan Soto’s and it’s sasy to see why one guy is below league average and the other is a stud. Plate discipline is everything. 

Edited by absknicks

4 hours ago, absknicks said:

The concerning part is it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Compare his approach to Juan Soto’s and it’s sasy to see why one guy is below league average and the other is a stud. Plate discipline is everything. 

On the year I don't disagree, and I haven't been watching his at bats so he may still be hacking away out there, but it seems like odd timing for this comment with 3 consecutive games with both a hit and at least 1 walk. Is he flailing out there or something?

Just now, Baur10 said:

On the year I don't disagree, and I haven't been watching his at bats so he may still be hacking away out there, but it seems like odd timing for this comment with 3 consecutive games with both a hit and at least 1 walk. Is he flailing out there or something?

He was 0-3 with a walk tonight when I posted that. The RBI double came after (reverse jinx?).

I watch most of his PA and haven't been impressed with the lack of plate discipline. The very recent uptick in walks that that you mentioned might be a ray of hope but I think it's going to take some time for him to revamp his approach and really become a fantasy asset. Hope I'm wrong as I'm stuck with him ROS at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

He was 0-3 with a walk tonight when I posted that. The RBI double came after (reverse jinx?).

I watch most of his PA and haven't been impressed with the lack of plate discipline. The very recent uptick in walks that that you mentioned might be a ray of hope but I think it's going to take some time for him to revamp his approach and really become a fantasy asset. Hope I'm wrong as I'm stuck with him ROS at this point. 

Fair enough. I'm on the other side of the world right now so I only really box score stalk and scroll through the gameday thread, so l'll take your word on his approach.

I'm in the same boat, but there are plenty of examples of rookies taking a full half to find their groove. 80 grade hit tools shouldn't just disappear. It sucks but I'm trying to stay optimistic he might be an asset when it matters most.  We'll see.