Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

On 8/3/2019 at 4:59 PM, bdy1 said:

Wow that happened. I was literally just about to compose a super sweet shout. To your credit:

1) Unlike the trolls, you've stuck around with input after Vlad started hitting. 

2) You were the only skeptic in the convo who was obviously watching at bats, and brought useful info. I interpreted your take that his swing didn't look major league to mean, along with the funny GB/FB/exit velo metrics, that he was likely pressing and swinging too hard -- but it was still a helpful take. Most of them are because:

3) Your observations are reality based. The BJs indeed suck, from the front office down to the ROK ballboy (with a handful of exceptions that have familiar looking last names . . . hmm, what does that say about their scouting?) The better Vlad becomes, the more critical it becomes for him to have men on base and protection in the lineup. In Toronto he has nothing of the latter. Zilch. And nothing coming down the pike (unless you believe in a Rowdy renaissance or the FO's ability to craft a decent trade / sign a decent stick). It should go without saying that his production will be moderated by that, but judging from the responses in thread it needed to be said.

4) My last point was about how polite you've been. Civil dissent is a lot trickier than baseball analysis, and I've been thinking I could learn a thing from some of the guys in here about how to be stubborn and nice at same time. Lousy timing then, on that "you have no idea who these guys are" agonism. Totally understandable that you'd flash your credentials in response. But FWIW I'd figured you for that sort of thing anyways, from the content you provide.

No worries man. 

Glad Vlad Jr is hitting too

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:40 AM, bdy1 said:

Not likely with Grichuk and Smoak batting behind him. 

He'll likely be hitting with Bichette in front of him and Gurriel behind him, with Biggo maybe hitting in the 2-hole (poor average but gets on-base due to walking a lot)...it will be a young lineup but he's going to have a lot of protection potentially.

Even with the disappointment around his start, Vladdy’s 162 game pace would be at 82 R, 25 HR, and 96 RBI.

Not bad for a 20 year old that’s not even scratching the surface.

• Like 2

Sitting again. Against a rookie lefty. I hate the way that this organization does things 

guys his size need days off.  and again, the blue jays dont care about your fantasy team.  they care about his health 3 years from now when they can compete

39 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

guys his size need days off.  and again, the blue jays dont care about your fantasy team.  they care about his health 3 years from now when they can compete

Guys his size don't "need" a day off at age 20.

If they were even remotely in contention he wouldn't be getting this many days off.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

If they were even remotely in contention he wouldn't be getting this many days off.

they yankees do the same with gleyber torres and hes 175 lbs

get used to it

Yeah I don't see this changing any time soon. He's the future of that team, maybe moreso than any other player in the league so I guess the kid gloves make some sense. 

Owning him I would definitely recommend having someone with 3B eligibility on the bench. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

Not sure but he looks lighter . 

22 minutes ago, motown magic said:

erroneous!

lol but it seems that teams are buying into giving even the youngest guys 10-15 days off.  when your team has been out of it since may, and your future star is 270 pounds you dont risk it.  

Edited by jfazz23

2 hours ago, motown magic said:

Look at him in spring training and compare him to now and he has 100% lost a ton of weight.

He’s thicc now. But that’s ok. Just can’t be sloppy fat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

You are spot on. They’re a bad organization. Other posters here will play devils advocate on any great point 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Yeah I don't see this changing any time soon. He's the future of that team, maybe moreso than any other player in the league so I guess the kid gloves make some sense. 

Owning him I would definitely recommend having someone with 3B eligibility on the bench. 

Kid gloves! He is 20! He needs an added day off a week? 

On 8/5/2019 at 8:25 AM, jmoney23 said:

it will be a young lineup but he's going to have a lot of protection potentially.

Protection from what?

3 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Need? No. Never said that.  But if the Blue Jays think giving him a few extra days off may save some wear and tear on the cornerstone their franchise's future, in a year where they have absolutely nothing to play for, I don't really see the big deal.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

It's because he's 300lbs, his knees can't take it.

• Like 1

You can try to interpret this however you like, but one thing is obvious...Orioles pitching is absolute trash.

image.png.10469d992cf00b3e5f6eb9f4ae4fd71c.png

• Haha 1

It’s possible he posts huge numbers for a rookie if they just stop sitting him every 5th day. FFS just let him DH.. if he has to be off his feet and drinking cucumber water let the kid DH and rake. He can pull out 20/80/.300 if they stop doing this. 

I like how the organization is taking care of him in a lost season at less-than-optimal health and conditioning.  It’s amazing what he has done since undergoing a slight adjustment period.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

I like how the organization is taking care of him in a lost season at less-than-optimal health and conditioning.  It’s amazing what he has done since undergoing a slight adjustment period.

Adjustment was strictly being exposed to more Vitamin D.  When weather and exposure to sunlight increased, production did.  Summer of Vlad in full effect.  Next year when he struggles in April, May and into June I’ll check weather reports and dictate my level of buying prowess.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4