TTo34

Kyler Murray 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I certainly don't think Kyler Murray is a terrible QB. Hell, NFL scouts didn't think so and I am definitely not a NFL scout so I can't say much against him. I think his main issue for this upcoming season is going to be his O-Line. I think his Rookie season is going to have his ups and downs and I think he is worth a shot as a bye week fill in at QB in fantasy and possibly against the right match ups. 

Edited by CawCaw
  • Like 1

His Minnesota game sold me. He showed off deep ball accuracy, back shoulder fades, and threading the needle between double coverage in one half. Glad he didn't have any splash plays this pre-season, like a 30 yard rushing TD or deep bomb for a TD. You probably were able to get him really late in drafts as a result.

Here's why I'm high on Kyler:

1. The Cardinals' defense is really bad. They'll be playing from behind a lot, which means Murray will be throwing (and running) a ton. That sounds like a recipe for a beaucoup fantasy points.

2. His most recent pre-season performance where he showed he can make NFL throws.

3. Rookie QB's with wheels have a history of fantasy success.

Edited by GriffeySwag
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

His Minnesota game sold me. He showed off deep ball accuracy, back shoulder fades, and threading the needle between double coverage in one half. Glad he didn't have any splash plays this pre-season, like a 30 yard rushing TD or deep bomb for a TD. You probably were able to get him really late in drafts as a result.

Here's why I'm high on Kyler:

1. The Cardinals' defense is really bad. They'll be playing from behind a lot, which means Murray will be throwing (and running) a ton. That sounds like a recipe for a beaucoup fantasy points.

2. His most recent pre-season performance where he showed he can make NFL throws.

3. Rookie QB's with wheels have a history of fantasy success.

I think even if it's ugly for the Cards this year Murray is gonna put up numbers. It may all be junk time but who cares. I think he has a weekly safe floor because of his running.  I think he's worth the gamble because there is still the unknown about this offense and it's potential. If things go as advertised he could be the steal of the draft. I think he's a big time upside lotto ticket you can pair with a quality second QB at little risk. My biggest concern is his health behind a bad line. 

I agree with all of the points you made. Murray should be put into a situation where he is putting up numbers all 4 quarters. 

At minimum it's gonna be fun seeing how this ends up. I'd prefer him on my team rather than on another team if he does blow up.

• Like 2

Anyone have the nuts to start Kyler in week 1?  From what I've seen, this team is AWFUL!!  Defense/Offense, just ugly.  Kyler will need to throw it 600-700 times I'd imagine.  His rushing hasn't been there yet.  His coach calls it "vanilla," thus far.  We'll see the real deal week 1, but I'm not holding my breath. 🤢

got him as my starting qb however some duds are expected.... going to have to half bench streamers for those bad defensive matchups.

• Like 1

rooting for this kid and Klingsbury - the anti Lamar/Harbaugh, as it were - LET THE PIGSKIN FLY, FELLAS!

to you ballsy lot who took the plunge - i salute yer sack! 👍

College coach takes over terrible NFL team.  Hides his "revolutionary" system during preseason, so opening opponent has no film.  Only notable talent on this awful team is a pro bowl RB, and an electrifying running QB.  Opening day they score 33 points, more than any game last year.  Pro bowl RB goes off for 184 and a score.  QB throws for 200 and 2 scores, and runs for 50 yards and 1.  Nice fantasy day for both.

That was Chip Kelly's first game with the Eagles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mjb said:

Anyone have the nuts to start Kyler in week 1?  From what I've seen, this team is AWFUL!!  Defense/Offense, just ugly.  Kyler will need to throw it 600-700 times I'd imagine.  His rushing hasn't been there yet.  His coach calls it "vanilla," thus far.  We'll see the real deal week 1, but I'm not holding my breath. 🤢

It's tempting for me to use him instead of Rodgers at CHI.

I'm in a 2QB league so it's a much easier decision but I'm excited to play him. I think it's obvious that the "vanilla" offense the Cards rolled out in preseason is nothing like what they plan to run once the season starts. 

23 minutes ago, Chardo said:

College coach takes over terrible NFL team.  Hides his "revolutionary" system during preseason, so opening opponent has no film.  Only notable talent on this awful team is a pro bowl RB, and an electrifying running QB.  Opening day they score 33 points, more than any game last year.  Pro bowl RB goes off for 184 and a score.  QB throws for 200 and 2 scores, and runs for 50 yards and 1.  Nice fantasy day for both.

That was Chip Kelly's first game with the Eagles. 

wonder if Corporal Klinger is ramping up the conditioning/strength aspects of this whole pedal to the metal attack - Chip had those Eagles teams in prime physical condition so they would have the stamina to keep on the gas.  

that's yuuuuuuge when employing this kinda offensive shtick/scheme. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 6:48 PM, raidaz18 said:

You don't have to listen to me. Watch his 1st game this year.

This isn't college, he's going to have to throw the ball under pressure in the pocket which he can't do. 

At 5 10" he's going to have a very difficult time seeing down the field.

Can Murray even take a snap under center? 

For Fantasy purposes any doubts from Murray has been answered. He’ll have bad games like today but kid’s got the arm talent and when he has those big scrambling days he’ll provide top end QB1 performances 

• Like 1

really got me worried however especially next week vs the ravens. only got 53 yard passing by half time but seemed like he clicked more 4th quarter hurry up offense. reminds me of russell

Detroit's defense isn't all that bad either. For as bad as the first half looked, they put up a bunch of numbers in a short amount of time to salvage that tie. They have got to feel good about that & it's got to give Murray confidence. The INT was a horrible decision/rookie mistake that he'll learn from (this isn't OU anymore) and he took a few sacks that I think he probably should have thrown it away but he'll learn on that as well. He reminds me of Russell too

They're going to have bad games but I think they're going to put up some very fantasy-relevant numbers fairly often as well, especially if they're often behind and having to play catch-up. I like that he got several guys involved too, especially Fitz...that was good to see. 

• Like 1

Christian Kirk is going to be a stud. He didn't put up big points  yesterday but he will be a reliable target for Murray going forward. I think the Murray/kirk connection could be special. 

Detroit's Defense seemed to just stand at the line of scrimmage in the fourth quarter. Absolutely no pass rush. Maybe they were just taking away the run. 

The flurry of fantasy points in hurry-up/comeback mode is exactly what many of us were expecting, and exactly what ensures Murray will be a top 10-12 fantasy QB despite his real life growing pains/struggles. And he barely added any rushing yardage in week 1, which we know will come...

• Like 3

So, not one, but two drives to force the tie-  tough sledding against any defense.   Kid gets a good grade on week 1, even with the slow start.     He looked a bit hurried in that 4th quarter when he didn't have to be, but he got the job done.  

48 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

The flurry of fantasy points in hurry-up/comeback mode is exactly what many of us were expecting, and exactly what ensures Murray will be a top 10-12 fantasy QB despite his real life growing pains/struggles. And he barely added any rushing yardage in week 1, which we know will come...

re: the rushing yards ... he has obviously been schooled in not taking the big hit - he skirted some scrambles straight outta bounds yesterday - guys like Cam and Allen and Lamar and Watson are just longer/rangier/stronger - if this kid is gonna pile up the rushing yards it's gonna have to be on designed ROs and the like - he looked very skittish in tucking/running from designed pass play pressures. 

but, yeah, i give him a VERY positive grade, otherwise- tgat 4th qtr was a thing of beauty. 

RatBirds in B'awlmore this week - rubber better hit the road early in that one. 

Three quarters of horrible football until he finally figured it out. I don't know who is more Tebow-esque, this guy or Trubisky.

Just now, lolcopter said:

Three quarters of horrible football until he finally figured it out. I don't know who is more Tebow-esque, this guy or Trubisky.

🤣 

man, i was ready to bury him and he climbed out of the grave.  Next week Baltimore 😬 

3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

im'ma chime in and say that i believe what Murray pulled off yesterday (rallying from 18 down in the 4th qtr) was more impressive than what Lamar did against a Pop Warner team that was mailing it in from jump.- there. i said it, i troof it. 

have at it.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

How many weeks would you guys wait before actually starting him?

12 team, 1 qb with super flex I confidently (for fun) drafted him as my #2 and started him alongside lamar jackson.  full disclose though It's a 10 year league that I've won twice so the pressure is off and I just wanted a fun team to root for.