TTo34

Kyler Murray 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Also Joe Flacco had 4 or 5 passes batted down against Oakland this week and he's 6'6 (Flacco was also the leader in batted passes percentage according to PFF in 2018). Kyler's batted passes are not because of his height. He had 5 passes batted down all year last year. It will depend on his ability to adjust to the NFL game which is something I believe he can do.

Edited by RafiBomb
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mathew Berry said:

Michael Crabtree should be active too

ok, but ... Crabs not feelin' it - Byrd got more run in the opener. 

Cards fan here, don't own Kyler but that's myguy. I've watched every snap so far (pre/regular season) and will keep an eye on this thread, see if I can provide any context to his performances as the season goes along.

The 4th qtr rally was huge not only for Kyler but for Kilff's play calling. Coach took 100% of the blame for the slow start by trying to get "too cute". Too many different packages, not helping Kyler settle into a rhythm, etc. 

That said, on the road in BAL won't be easy. Wouldn't be surprised to see a line of something like 240/1/1 this week, but the arrow's pointed up, I think he's gonna have some big games this year. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RafiBomb said:

Also Joe Flacco had 4 or 5 passes batted down against Oakland this week and he's 6'6 (Flacco was also the leader in batted passes percentage according to PFF in 2018). Kyler's batted passes are not because of his height. He had 5 passes batted down all year last year. It will depend on his ability to adjust to the NFL game which is something I believe he can do.

He also didn't throw a ton between the numbers and had one of the top offensive lines in college football last year.  Most of the tips I saw were definitely because of his height and the fact that his line can't open up wide open throwing lanes.

Kyler Murray needs to show me more to be a believer.  He's currently in the bottom 5 after week one in yards per attempt and completion percentage.  Unless that improves, ya, he can help in fantasy, but so did Bortles playing from behind for an entire year.

I don’t see how you can watch how atrocious that offense was for three quarters and not be impressed at how mentally tough this kid was down the stretch in that game, facing a very underrated defensive front. If I’m not mistaken, Peyton and Luck threw three picks in their NFL debuts. When this kid gets settled in and starts consistently adding his running ability to his game, the sky is the limit. He’s going to be special. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I don’t see how you can watch how atrocious that offense was for three quarters and not be impressed at how mentally tough this kid was down the stretch in that game, facing a very underrated defensive front. If I’m not mistaken, Peyton and Luck threw three picks in their NFL debuts. When this kid gets settled in and starts consistently adding his running ability to his game, the sky is the limit. He’s going to be special. 

Amen brotha amen!!!

2 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Everyone knows he has mental toughness. It’s whether the skills will translate. Case Keenum was better at his system in college. 

Who's rolling him out this week?  I may go with Dalton, but i may also cut Dalton for a better bench waiver player.  If i could get a guaranteed 15 points out of Kyler id play him. 

As a Ravens fan, it will be key to know if Humphrey is out. Jimmy Smith is already out, and we already lost Tavon Young for the year (all cornerbacks). That said, this is the home opener. It will be rowdy. I'd avoid Murray if you can help it. I'm not sure of our record against rookie QB's at home, but they historically have been pounded into the grass.

23 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

As a Ravens fan, it will be key to know if Humphrey is out. Jimmy Smith is already out, and we already lost Tavon Young for the year (all cornerbacks). That said, this is the home opener. It will be rowdy. I'd avoid Murray if you can help it. I'm not sure of our record against rookie QB's at home, but they historically have been pounded into the grass.

Good info...BAL is also breaking in a new MLB with Mosley leaving. The guy replacing him seems pretty solid if unheralded (Onwuasor or something like that) but he's no Mosley. Ravens D has been fearsome because they've had guys like Mosley & Ray Lewis before him and Suggs....all gone now.

It will be interesting to see how good their D looks against a team that hasn't given up before the game even starts like Miami did. It's hard to glean any useful info at all from the BAL/MIA game.

26 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

Good info...BAL is also breaking in a new MLB with Mosley leaving. The guy replacing him seems pretty solid if unheralded (Onwuasor or something like that) but he's no Mosley. Ravens D has been fearsome because they've had guys like Mosley & Ray Lewis before him and Suggs....all gone now.

It will be interesting to see how good their D looks against a team that hasn't given up before the game even starts like Miami did. It's hard to glean any useful info at all from the BAL/MIA game.

To be honest I always thought Mosley was overrated, he's never been particularly good in pass coverage despite his recent string of highlight INT's. If I am a GM, I'm not paying top dollar for a run stopping MLB in today's NFL. He's a good player, but not at that price.

Anyway, I'd expect at least one turnover from Murray. Game script will probably dictate his success. It could be similar to last week where he starts awful and salvages his day fantasy wise in the 4th quarter.

This article is a couple years old, but is relevant.

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/38761/ravens-put-perfect-home-mark-vs-rookie-qbs-on-line-against-deshone-kizer

Edited by griffin727

4 hours ago, griffin727 said:

To be honest I always thought Mosley was overrated, he's never been particularly good in pass coverage despite his recent string of highlight INT's. If I am a GM, I'm not paying top dollar for a run stopping MLB in today's NFL. He's a good player, but not at that price.

Anyway, I'd expect at least one turnover from Murray. Game script will probably dictate his success. It could be similar to last week where he starts awful and salvages his day fantasy wise in the 4th quarter.

This article is a couple years old, but is relevant.

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/38761/ravens-put-perfect-home-mark-vs-rookie-qbs-on-line-against-deshone-kizer

Yet as soon as Mosely went down last week, the Jets D collapsed and blew a big lead.

A good MLB is the glue holding the defense together, the quarterback of the defense.  Mosely is good.  

With their Air Raid offense, and poor defense, Murray might lead the league in pass attempts this year.  As shown last week, even mediocre passing success will lead to nice numbers with that kind of volume.  Add in some runs, which are definitely coming, and you have a great floor QB.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chardo said:

With their Air Raid offense, and poor defense, Murray might lead the league in pass attempts this year.  As shown last week, even mediocre passing success will lead to nice numbers with that kind of volume.  Add in some runs, which are definitely coming, and you have a great floor QB.  

Spot on. To me he’s pretty much matchup proof. He will have bad games, but like you said his floor should be one of the safest considering all of his tools. 

The Ravens massacred inexperienced QBs last year. Personally I'm benching him this week and rolling him out with a lot more confidence rest of season.

2 minutes ago, CoffToff10 said:

The Ravens massacred inexperienced QBs last year. Personally I'm benching him this week and rolling him out with a lot more confidence rest of season.

were those QBs #1 overall picks on an offense that is looking to run 75+ plays, keeping Baltimore on it's heels?

did any of them engineer an 18 point 4th qtr comeback the week prior?

yeah, didn't think so. 

look, not saying he's gonna go HAM down there, but i'm not scared to start him ... we got this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoffToff10 said:

I’d only play him if you have no other options. 1st NFL road game, Baltimore’s elite D, what could go wrong🤔

1 minute ago, mjb said:

I’d only play him if you have no other options. 1st NFL road game, Baltimore’s elite D, what could go wrong🤔

This year, the reputation precedes them. They had a lot of changes in the offseason and let’s not act like the Dolphins are a juggernaut. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chardo said:

I wouldn’t pencil him in for 54 attempts a game. His arm would fall off by the bye. 

1 hour ago, mjb said:

He barely even played on the road in college too. Only like 4 road games last year. 

Kylers mydude but this may be his welcome to the NFL weekend lol. I think he'll have some big games this year but this is prolly notttttt gonna be one of em. 

• Thanks 1

Nobody knows just how good each defense is yet; Baltimore D is merely a name brand.  I’d rather have fully unleashed Konami code upside, than watch some brown water trash like Carr throw dumpster balls all game.  Betting over and starting Murray with confidence.

Edited by ap0calypse
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ap0calypse said:

Nobody knows just how good each defense is yet; Baltimore D is merely a name brand.  I’d rather have fully unleashed Konami code upside, than watch some brown water trash like Carr throw dumpster balls all game.  Betting over and starting Murray with confidence.

🤣 Hope you're right.