TTo34

Kyler Murray 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

Cards fan here (yes we do exist). The fan base knows the D will be garbage this year. They are going to have to score points to keep up. I wouldn’t put much stock in preseason. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jsch08 said:

Cards fan here (yes we do exist). The fan base knows the D will be garbage this year. They are going to have to score points to keep up. I wouldn’t put much stock in preseason. 

 

But what if they can't score lol

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The offensive line is projected to be bad and they have past the eye test so far as being bad. However, I think this hurts David Johnson a lot more than Murray. QB's who can run can survive a bad line much like D Watson has. The beauty of QB's like Murray is that they always have a decent floor because of their running. Bottom line is I don't think we will really know what this team is gonna look like until week 1. I'd expect a slow start given all of the new parts of this team. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 8:45 AM, Jvanspro said:

Not at all.  If anything they will be worse.  The lost Iupati and Wetzel via FA and signed Sweezy to help address the interior.

They did bring in Gilbert which is an upgrade but losing two Guards will hurt.  However, he can’t ever stay on the field.

Overall, I still put them as the worst line in the league who may be slightly stronger on the edge but much worse on the interior.  Kinda odd for a team that faces Donald twice.

This could be a major problem since it's important for Murray to be able to step up in the pocket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'm certainly not writing him off yet but all the buzz about how great he looked week 1 was quite unfounded. Nothing but outside dinks. He honestly hasn't completed one legit good pass. That's definitely a concern. Next week is gonna be very interesting. 

He has made all of the throws in practice and Kingsbury is not showing everything yet. He could also make all of the throws in college. It didn't look good in the last game but Murray still has a great arm to go with his explosive running ability.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mongidig said:

He has made all of the throws in practice and Kingsbury is not showing everything yet. He could also make all of the throws in college. It didn't look good in the last game but Murray still has a great arm to go with his explosive running ability.

 

I want to believe this because it makes sense. Why show your cards during the preseason. I get it. However, when you look at Haskins and Jones, these guys are slinging the ball up and down the field. In the case of Jones, do you think Pat Shurmur wants to show the Jets or the Bears anything in preseason, especially since the Giants face both of those teams again in the regular season. Yet, we still saw some execution and a competent offense.

I would worry about the execution aspect of it for the Cards like the holding, false starts, etc. Even the play-call on the safety. Like why is 4 receivers run deep go-routes. It's stuff like this that also makes you question first year coach Kingsbury and his system.

"It's only the preseason" but is the playbook that limited that we cant see anything besides a quick out? Sure, he made all of the throws in college and in practice, but I've yet to see him make a legit throw in a NFL Preseason or regular season game against an NFL defense. Can we really believe that a rookie HC and a rookie QB with one of the worst o-lines can just turn it on with the flip of the switch?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

 

I want to believe this because it makes sense. Why show your cards during the preseason. I get it. However, when you look at Haskins and Jones, these guys are slinging the ball up and down the field. In the case of Jones, do you think Pat Shurmur wants to show the Jets or the Bears anything in preseason, especially since the Giants face both of those teams again in the regular season. Yet, we still saw some execution and a competent offense.

I would worry about the execution aspect of it for the Cards like the holding, false starts, etc. Even the play-call on the safety. Like why is 4 receivers run deep go-routes. It's stuff like this that also makes you question first year coach Kingsbury and his system.

"It's only the preseason" but is the playbook that limited that we cant see anything besides a quick out? Sure, he made all of the throws in college and in practice, but I've yet to see him make a legit throw in a NFL Preseason or regular season game against an NFL defense. Can we really believe that a rookie HC and a rookie QB with one of the worst o-lines can just turn it on with the flip of the switch?

I agree that we are in the dark regarding how this offense will look when the season starts. I think this lack of information is baked into his ADP. The difference in Murray's case compared to the other rookies is that he is not in a competition to be the starter. This offense is also more based on quick throws. I also don't think Kingsbury wants his star to take any hits behind what looks like a mess at offensive line so I think the intermediate and deep balls are gonna be limited in pre season and maybe the regular season. They may have to just bring in the TE's to help with protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't get it. Is their playbook the size of a yellow sticky pad?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Bob Tewksbury is a fraud.....

The former MLB pitcher?? If so, what does he have to do with Murray?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Corleone said:

The former MLB pitcher?? If so, what does he have to do with Murray?

 

I refuse to call that fraud by his name. Kingsbury, Tewksbury, what’s the difference? Would rather have the latter coaching my football team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

 

I refuse to call that fraud by his name. Kingsbury, Tewksbury, what’s the difference? Would rather have the latter coaching my football team. 

Um, okay...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

I still don't get it. Is their playbook the size of a yellow sticky pad?

 

 

Teams don't run complicated offenses in the preseason. This isn't anything new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, devaster said:

Teams don't run complicated offenses in the preseason. This isn't anything new.

Right, but the concern is there have been other young QBs that have shown flashes thus far. Even with the most basic playbook, if he can't produce ONE highlight in three weeks I think it's fair to say that's cause for at least some mild concern. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Right, but the concern is there have been other young QBs that have shown flashes thus far. Even with the most basic playbook, if he can't produce ONE highlight in three weeks I think it's fair to say that's cause for at least some mild concern. 

Didn't he do fine week 1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, devaster said:

Didn't he do fine week 1?

On the stat sheet, but if we're being honest there wasn't one completion you'd put on film and say, that was a really good play. They were all little dinks outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, devaster said:

Teams don't run complicated offenses in the preseason. This isn't anything new.

 

If they're only running 6-7 plays you'd think they'd have those 6-7 plays down perfect. Excuses excuses, they better think if some more excuses

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They practice a lot of stuff but run simplified offenses during the preseason games. Teams don't want to tip their hand in the preseason. It isn't surprising when defense dominates against simplified offenses in the preseason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really anticipating a rookie year RG3 situation here. If you look at rg3 preseason numbers they are not spectacular; 20 something rushing yards all 3 games total, 2 td throwing. Once the season started he went for 150 yards and 3 tds rushing his first two games alone. Kyler seems as electric if not more so, has an even better rb than 2012 Alf to bail him out if he needs it, and a heck of an arm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are people really considering drafting Murray in fantasy?

I said it from day 1 Murray is going to be a colossal NFL bust. I wouldn't have drafted him in the 6th round of the NFL draft. He's a great athlete not a quarterback.

Sooner or later he'll have to throw from the pocket and I expect turnovers galore when he does. Bad accuracy and can't see over the linemen.

Did anyone see Murray in the last game, this guy doesn't even know how to call a play. He had no awareness of the play clock on numerous occasions, looked like he had no idea what he was doing.

The coach is bringing some college system that is going to get his QBs killed.

That system will get demolished by an NFL defense just like Chip Kelly's did.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

Are people really considering drafting Murray in fantasy?

I said it from day 1 Murray is going to be a colossal NFL bust. I wouldn't have drafted him in the 6th round of the NFL draft. He's a great athlete not a quarterback.

Sooner or later he'll have to throw from the pocket and I expect turnovers galore when he does. Bad accuracy and can't see over the linemen.

Did anyone see Murray in the last game, this guy doesn't even know how to call a play. He had no awareness of the play clock on numerous occasions, looked like he had no idea what he was doing.

The coach is bringing some college system that is going to get his QBs killed.

That system will get demolished by an NFL defense just like Chip Kelly's did.

 

 

 

Charlie Casserly is that you? 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cardinals have been compared to the Rams and that’s a ridiculously flawed comparison.

McVay was basically a coaching prodigy and had already been around the league for nearly a decade. He demonstrated ability to turn offenses around before and served under some very smart coaches. Kingsbury has ZERO coaching experience in the NFL. Absolutely none. The comparison should stop there.

You then factor in the Rams having more talent and a QB that already had NFL experience and the only comparison left is that both teams hired a young coach. Frankly, that’s not much of a comparison. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

Are people really considering drafting Murray in fantasy?

I said it from day 1 Murray is going to be a colossal NFL bust. I wouldn't have drafted him in the 6th round of the NFL draft. He's a great athlete not a quarterback.

Sooner or later he'll have to throw from the pocket and I expect turnovers galore when he does. Bad accuracy and can't see over the linemen.

Did anyone see Murray in the last game, this guy doesn't even know how to call a play. He had no awareness of the play clock on numerous occasions, looked like he had no idea what he was doing.

The coach is bringing some college system that is going to get his QBs killed.

That system will get demolished by an NFL defense just like Chip Kelly's did.

 

 

 

Why should any of us listen to you?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, devaster said:

Why should any of us listen to you?

You don't have to listen to me. Watch his 1st game this year.

This isn't college, he's going to have to throw the ball under pressure in the pocket which he can't do. 

At 5 10" he's going to have a very difficult time seeing down the field.

Can Murray even take a snap under center? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.