TTo34

Kyler Murray 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, wayzupusc said:

He just passes the eye test in my opinion. People compare Murray to Wilson just on size but that's not the more important comparison to me.  I think the fact that they were both professional level baseball players is the comp to keep in mind. Patrick Mahomes also was a baseball player who easily could have played professionally, his father was MLB player I believe. Baker Mayfield is another baseball player turned football player. 

Anyway, these baseball/football player types are much more capable of throwing from a bunch of different, unorthodox & uncoachable arm angles to get the ball where it needs to go to make plays & it really negates the mystical height disadvantage so many are fixated on. The quick decision making that's honed by seeing 80-90mph fastballs or having to react to make a play at 2B or SS tranlates well to having the relatively long 5-6 second football play seem slow to them. The game rarely gets too fast for them.Watching Murray at OU, most of the time he seemed like he was playing a video game out there. I'm not worried at all about accuracy, he's plenty accurate. He can make every throw.

The one big concern of mine is he may have been spoiled at OU since they often simply out-talented a lot of their opponents & it's not going to be that way in the NFL...Arizona's O-line ranked 7th from the bottom in sacks allowed but then, they had statues like Rosen & Bradford standing still for 5 seconds the whole time. Have they upgraded there? Will Murray's mobility help? WhoTF knows? Only way to know is to wait & see.

I'm skeptical of the Kingsbury offense working in the NFL too but at the very least, it should be fun to watch unfold. Besides, I didn't draft Murray to start this year but I do believe he will be a solid pro eventually & may just catch lightning in a bottle.

It's great that he's played baseball, but that doesn't help me in my analysis of how well a 5'8 quarterback will do behind a suspect offensive line in a questionable system lead by a questionable HC. Throwing a ball 90 mph and putting up some gaudy college stats is fine, but when I saw him get blitzed, I think he almost s--- himself :)

It doesn't take innovative play-calling to drop back, survey the field and throw a slant, go route or just go through progressions and find an open receiver. I hate that I have to wait until week 1 to hopefully to see something so fundamental.

People want to compare him to Wilson, but lets not forget Wilson was not supposed to start. It was supposed to be Flynn and his huge contract, However Wilson had a lights out preseason. Something that Murray can only dream of right now.

Professional baseball player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

It's great that he's played baseball, but that doesn't help me in my analysis of how well a 5'8 quarterback will do behind a suspect offensive line in a questionable system lead by a questionable HC. Throwing a ball 90 mph and putting up some gaudy college stats is fine, but when I saw him get blitzed, I think he almost s--- himself :)

It doesn't take innovative play-calling to drop back, survey the field and throw a slant, go route or just go through progressions and find an open receiver. I hate that I have to wait until week 1 to hopefully to see something so fundamental.

People want to compare him to Wilson, but lets not forget Wilson was not supposed to start. It was supposed to be Flynn and his huge contract, However Wilson had a lights out preseason. Something that Murray can only dream of right now.

Kyler gets punished for not having to unseat an overrated QB like Wilson did Flynn?

55 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

It doesn't take innovative play-calling to drop back, survey the field and throw a slant, go route or just go through progressions and find an open receiver.

I mean if it was as easy as you make it sound I'm sure quarterback wouldnt be the hardest position in sports to play.

1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

Drew Henson was a professional baseball player too. 

Yea, I was trying to use examples that were close in athletic ability to Murray. Henson was not. He was a big, mashing third baseman with a big arm. If he didn't have that arm, they'd have stuck him at first. Murray & the others are a different type of athlete I think.

On 8/21/2019 at 1:43 AM, devaster said:

Teams don't run complicated offenses in the preseason. This isn't anything new.

Yeah, but you run some staple offenses that you practiced a lot. You're not going to run anything that might collapse and hurt your line or your expensive QB. Also, the D won't have prepared for you for a week; they are also running fairly standard D.

If you run a couple simple plays and you get totally pwned by the opposing D, chances are you have a problem.

5 hours ago, wayzupusc said:

Murray & the others are a different type of athlete I think.

Yeah, he's built like a horse jockey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Yeah, but you run some staple offenses that you practiced a lot. You're not going to run anything that might collapse and hurt your line or your expensive QB. Also, the D won't have prepared for you for a week; they are also running fairly standard D.

If you run a couple simple plays and you get totally pwned by the opposing D, chances are you have a problem.

Perhaps. But I never read much into preseason performance. And I expect a rookie QB to struggle.

13 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

*5'10 quarterback 

How does he compare to Michael Vick coming out of college? 

1) Shorter.

2) Much more accurate passer.

3) Equal arm?  Weaker arm?

4) Slower - by how much?

Dog fighting/everything else aside, Vick was such a fun QB to own in my leagues.  Was the tyreek hill of QBs.

3 minutes ago, oban14 said:

How does he compare to Michael Vick coming out of college? 

1) Shorter.

2) Much more accurate passer.

3) Equal arm?  Weaker arm?

4) Slower - by how much?

Dog fighting/everything else aside, Vick was such a fun QB to own in my leagues.  Was the tyreek hill of QBs.

1.  True

2.  True - by a healthy margin

3. Oh he's got a VERY VERY good arm

4.  Vick 40 - 4.33, Murray 40 - 4.38

Vick was an anomaly. Lamar Jackson may be the closest comparison, but Murray is no Vick. Not that that is a bad thing, his accuracy should in theory make him more valuable over time.

• Like 1

I would like to point out that Case Keenum had great accuracy in the same system too.  Even put up better numbers passing.  Kyler may not be able to run a pro-style offense and while that doesn't matter right now, Kingsbury isn't exactly an amazing sign going under .500 despite having Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes under center.  Hell, he made the amazing decision to bench Baker for Davis Webb.  That's his head coach.  Add in the aging WRs, no TE, a RB that looked lost last year and a bottom 5 offensive line and it's probably not going to be pretty for the first few years.  College QBs don't succeed in the NFL when they are put in bad situations.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Yeah, he's built like a horse jockey.

hollywood brown has the featherweight jockey build. what's the level down from featherweight jockey, and how close is that to hobbit?

P6qy3qo.jpg

2 hours ago, wayzupusc said:

*5'10 quarterback 

if hollywood brown is 5'9" 168, how tall and how heavy would you gauge kyler murray's size from this photo?

murray-height-final.jpg?quality=90&strip

Almost any QB taken in the top 3-5 are going into "bad situations".  Only exceptions are teams that traded up there, and even those teams are usually in the bottom half of the league.  Great QBs save and raise a franchise, bad ones do nothing.

3 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

hollywood brown has the featherweight jockey build. what's the level down from featherweight jockey, and how close is that to hobbit?

P6qy3qo.jpg

if hollywood brown is 5'9" 168, how tall and how heavy would you gauge kyler murray's size from this photo?

murray-height-final.jpg?quality=90&strip

LOL you can actually see that he's all the way back against the seat with the seat upright, Murray is standing at least a foot or two closer to the camera.  One of them could also be on their toes.

Edited by oban14
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, oban14 said:

LOL you can actually see that he's all the way back against the seat with the seat upright, Murray is standing at least a foot or two closer to the camera.  One of them could also be on their toes.

kyler_lollipopguild.jpg

23937-17259cc0bc318ec37996b4089c182071.j

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

While NCAA/NFL teams are famous for giving their players fake heights/weights, isn't the combine very tightly controlled in terms of measuring?

26 minutes ago, oban14 said:

While NCAA/NFL teams are famous for giving their players fake heights/weights, isn't the combine very tightly controlled in terms of measuring?

Combine measurements are legit.

As for the measurement rope-a-dope, pretty much every place but the combine uses it.

My senior year of high school, our basketball team had four guys who were 6'5" and like five more guys between 5'11" and 6'1".  All nine players were listed at 6'2", just to confuse the hell out of opponents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Too many people sleeping on this Cat 🤫 , people seem to forget rookies like cam and rg3 this dude is a way better passer to boot

7 minutes ago, Brye said:

Too many people sleeping on this Cat 🤫 , people seem to forget rookies like cam and rg3 this dude is a way better passer to boot

Haha.  He’s terrible.

20 minutes ago, Jvanspro said:
28 minutes ago, Brye said:

Haha.  He’s terrible.

I think neither of these 2 are fully correct.

He's not a terrible QB and given enough time (and some platform shoes) who knows what he could become. But he clearly isn't great yet either, definitely not a top-12 QB this season, and the entire offense will need a lot of work.

He can make some nice throws. Cardinals OL sucks though. And Edmonds got blown up in a pass protection assignment.

One reason the Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson is because he had the release point of a 6'2" QB (due to his form and his long arms).