Sign in to follow this  
HulkSmash

Griffin Canning 2019 Outlook

17 hours ago, djmax101 said:

Good thing they get to play the Los Angeles Angels.

of Anaheim ; ). Quality start

Really surprised by that outing against a stacked LHB heavy lineup. He's figuring it out quick. Definitely has ace potential long-term. That combination of K-BB% and swinging strike rate right out of the gate is definitely rare. 

Very impressive start yesterday because of opponent. I sat him, regret it obviously, but I always root for guys on my bench to prove me wrong. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Another impressive turn yesterday against a pretty tough TB lineup (even if the final line doesn't wow), also another very good chart:

FB- once again averaged 95 MPH with great vertical movement, threw 35--only 20 strikes but got 16 hacks and 6 whiffs on it

SL- sat 89 MPH with some nice tilt/spin action, tossed 23--16 strikes with 11 cuts and 6 whiffers with it

CU- couldn't quite harness it with consistency but I really like the horizontal compliment to all his primary vertical movers, a lot were just off the strike zone plot--just missing low and slightly out, I feel like this could turn the corner real quick and be a K generator for him, spun up 21--12 strikes with 5 swings and 2 whiffs

CH- sits half a tick higher than the slide piece, but with more off the table dive (89.5 mph) went to it 14 times--11 strikes with 9 swings and another 2 whiffs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1.02 WHIP is pretty elite, I’m streaming him against the A’s tomorrow. Who’s with me? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BRYZZO said:

1.02 WHIP is pretty elite, I’m streaming him against the A’s tomorrow. Who’s with me? 

Hes not a streamer for me hes been a hold. Hes not available in any of my 11 leagues currently. I own him in 3. 

Pitcherlist has him 34 for the season.

Edited by buzzkilloton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Griffin could be canned

17 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Dropable? 

He pitched what would have been Tyler Skaggs’ next scheduled start. Struck out the side in the 1st, for what’s it worth. But he’s been open about Skaggs being like an older brother to him, and he got emotional in the dugout after he was taken out of the game. So I don’t think there’s much you can take from tonight.

Honestly he’s taken Skaggs loss really hard. You gotta remember he’s a very young kid and you know mentally he isn’t locked in at the moment. Hold him and wait to see how he performs after the ASB. He’s gonna need more than a few days to get his head on straight. 

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Still worth rostering in 12-team leagues.

Agreed.  Heck, I'd bench and hold in a 10-teamer.  Tough to start right now, but when people in standard leagues start thinking about dropping a guy like Canning, I wonder who they're picking up.  If he's a dumpster fire, the streaming options are radioactive waste.

Hi WHIP is still 1.09 after the pounding he took today.  There are extenuating circumstances with the Skaggs tragedy. He could catch the Mariners and Orioles after the break depending on how the rotation gets set. I still see a lot to like here.

Kid straight up broke down in the dugout today, give him a break. Pitching under awful circumstances as a rookie. His k:bb is great and his swinging strike rate is still ridiculously high. His upside is definitely a firm hold right now, your WW is likely trash. 

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KrunK said:

Kid straight up broke down in the dugout today, give him a break. Pitching under awful circumstances as a rookie. His k:bb is great and his swinging strike rate is still ridiculously high. His upside is definitely a firm hold right now, your WW is likely trash. 

The WW is likely to have someone like S. Gray or Means or Lamet imo.  At this point, I would switch off for any of them. Canning does not offer much above a Fantasy 5-6 SP from what we have seen imo. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Agreed.  Heck, I'd bench and hold in a 10-teamer.  Tough to start right now, but when people in standard leagues start thinking about dropping a guy like Canning, I wonder who they're picking up.  If he's a dumpster fire, the streaming options are radioactive waste.

Hi WHIP is still 1.09 after the pounding he took today.  There are extenuating circumstances with the Skaggs tragedy. He could catch the Mariners and Orioles after the break depending on how the rotation gets set. I still see a lot to like here.

Sonny Grey is on the radar for me...but yeah, that’s for a different forum, and about Canning, I agree with you. That’s an encouraging WHIP, and his K/9 rate is solid as well. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and just chalk it up to a bad outing. I can’t imagine what that team is going through right now. Hopefully they band together and finish the 2nd half on a strong note 

Previous 8 starts 47 1/3 innings 2 W 4 QS 3.23 era 0.89 whip 44 Ks. Went at least 6 innings 6 times (twice gave up 4 runs) other two starts 1 run in 5 innings and 2 runs in 5 1/3. 14.5% swstr% on the year. I’m not dropping after one bad start on the road against a good offense 3 days after his teammate/mentor passed away. That was the first time he gave up more than 4 runs. He was pitching well and now gets the ASB to regroup mentally from losing his teammate

• Like 5

7 hours ago, secretagentman said:

The WW is likely to have someone like S. Gray or Means or Lamet imo.  At this point, I would switch off for any of them. Canning does not offer much above a Fantasy 5-6 SP from what we have seen imo. 

Sonny Gray shouldn't be on any WW with how bad pitching is this year, but if he is then yes you dump Canning for him. Means has god awful peripherals, legitimately is pitching more than 2.5 runs UNDER his xFIP which is a sparkling 5.15. Lamet is just coming off tommy john, had walk issues before having surgery which will mess with guys command in their first season back and likes to give up a lot of homers because he's basically just a fastball/slider pitcher. That is a bad combo. I wouldn't dump canning for Means or Lamet. Means is a ticking time bomb and Lamet fresh off TJ is a good candidate to implode your ERA.

Rather go with the kid that has great command and swing and miss stuff, so if he does give up homers he's limiting the damage because his WHIP is great. 

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KrunK said:

Sonny Gray shouldn't be on any WW with how bad pitching is this year, but if he is then yes you dump Canning for him. Means has god awful peripherals, legitimately is pitching more than 2.5 runs UNDER his xFIP which is a sparkling 5.15. Lamet is just coming off tommy john, had walk issues before having surgery which will mess with guys command in their first season back and likes to give up a lot of homers because he's basically just a fastball/slider pitcher. That is a bad combo. I wouldn't dump canning for Means or Lamet. Means is a ticking time bomb and Lamet fresh off TJ is a good candidate to implode your ERA.

Rather go with the kid that has great command and swing and miss stuff, so if he does give up homers he's limiting the damage because his WHIP is great. 

Gray is still around in 25+% of leagues depending on the depth (CBS has him 76% owned).

Wrt Means (who is likely around in about 40% depending on depth...CBS 62% owned) , the peripherals have been bad from the start, he has been predicted to blow up for months and all he does is continue to pitch well.  Say what you will, but the eye test is what it is.  Not saying he is the next coming of Kershaw, but as a Fantasy 5-6 SP, he has been pretty decent and I rather run with the hot hand then go chasing after someone who has decent peripherals, a sub par ERA and literally can not buy a W with a bad team.

Wrt Lamet, yeah he is more of a crap shoot.  No doubt there.  Depending on the shape of your pitching, that may or may not be worth the roll of the dice.  Certainly not if your pitching is solid.  But if your pitching is a mess like many of us find ourselves in, there is not much to lose imo. 

[...] I’m a big fan of the four pitch mix he’s shown. Pitcherlist dropped him a bit but still a top 50 arm ROS. 

What are we thinking innings wise? I’m guessing it’s all dependent on where the angels are in the playoff race towards the end of the year as to when they shut him down. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Bench Coach content.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:47 AM, tywalson said:

[...] I’m a big fan of the four pitch mix he’s shown. Pitcherlist dropped him a bit but still a top 50 arm ROS. 

What are we thinking innings wise? I’m guessing it’s all dependent on where the angels are in the playoff race towards the end of the year as to when they shut him down. 

I would agree with the last statement.  If they’re in contention I see him being leaned on especially now they’re are without Skaggs. But if they’re out of it come late August, he’s going to be limited to save him for next year.  The Angels have obviously had rotation health concerns the last few seasons but it’s much more critical now to ensure that their future staff remains healthy with the passing of Skaggs. 

Edited by HaloFanatic17
  • Like 1

Any insight into tonight’s start?

6 BB and 4 WP (!!) in 1.1 IP.

what the hell happened?