Sign in to follow this  
HulkSmash

Griffin Canning 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, Csiebert5 said:

Any insight into tonight’s start?

6 BB and 4 WP (!!) in 1.1 IP.

what the hell happened?

I honestly think he’s mentally struggling. He was one of the most visibly affected by Skaggs passing. He was a mentor to Canning and I think he’s emotionally taking it really hard and it’s effecting his game currently.  I would say to bench him till he rights the ship.  Remember he’s a young kid still and this is something that’s going to take time to process. He has the talent and the ability to be a dominant pitcher. But right now its difficult to gauge him when his emotions are probably getting the better of him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I honestly think he’s mentally struggling. He was one of the most visibly affected by Skaggs passing. He was a mentor to Canning and I think he’s emotionally taking it really hard and it’s effecting his game currently.  I would say to bench him till he rights the ship.  Remember he’s a young kid still and this is something that’s going to take time to process. He has the talent and the ability to be a dominant pitcher. But right now its difficult to gauge him when his emotions are probably getting the better of him. 

Didn’t think about this for a second.. thank you.

I actually now remember this being brought up after his last outing, which was poor as well. Everybody takes a tragedy like this differently. Can’t be easy for him, as he was adjusting to life in the bigs as it is, and now to add on to that stress with the passing of a close friend and mentor. 

I hope he can keep his head up

When is his next scheduled start? Thursday or Friday. ESPN showing Thursday but everything else shows Friday. 

1 hour ago, MaeDay said:

When is his next scheduled start? Thursday or Friday. ESPN showing Thursday but everything else shows Friday. 

Onroto is showing Thursday, Fantrax is showing Friday. 🤔

Originally slated for Friday, so considering some have Thursday I’m assuming it was updated/changed for a reason. I guess we’ll see tomorrow 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Baltimore and Detroit is a juicy 1/2 combo.  Anybody jumping back on board after a solid effort vs Seattle?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Awful turn of events. Has there been any news of his next start?

Should be DET on JUL 31

• Haha 1

I'm still holding out hope Canning can turn things around. I just offered Pederson for him to a hopefully frustrated owner coming off last night's outing. He's struggled mightily, but that 13+ swinging strike rate gives me hope!

I'm off after him getting rocked again last night.  Hopefully he can get it back on track but I'm not confident enough.

If you’re in a keeper league this would be a good time to take advantage and make an offer to a frustrated owner. Obviously it’s league dependent but I was able to get him for some draft pick compensation.  He’s flashing a solid K rate and obviously his performance this season is hard to gauge due to the emotional impact he’s faced in regards to the passing of Skaggs.  However, for the long term he’s the projected ace of this team alongside Ohtani. He’s young though, so there’s the expected growing pains but he’s shown promise and last nights results shouldn’t carry much weight due to the circumstances. I don’t believe many starting pitchers would have been successful having to been thrown into an extra inning game at 1am when mentally they’re prepared to start the next day.  

Edited by HaloFanatic17

6 innings 0 R 4 H 1 BB 7 K. I know Detroit is probably the worst lineup in the league but nice to see him have a good start after that rough stretch.

There's been talk of managing his innings limit recently. Hopefully this is just a phantom DL stint to give him some rest and manage his innings. 

It sucks that we lose out on a juicy 2-start week though!

Not sure how juicy the 2 start week would have been with @BOS ... 

2 hours ago, aMediumPace said:

What the actual ****. I give up on 2019. 

If you owned all those guys then it sounds like you gave up a long time ago!