The 7th Beatles

D. K. Metcalf 2019 Outlook

How do we like Metcalf vs Arizona in week 16? He hasn't been getting a lot of targets lately, and 1 of his 4 targets last week came on a failed Josh Gordon throw.

Arizona has given up a ton of fantasy points to basically every position - RB/WE/TE, should we trust Metcalf this week or could it be a big Carson/Lockett/Hollister day?

On 4/27/2019 at 5:10 PM, Gohawks said:

He will be a huge boom or bust. I can see 20/300/1 as well as 60/1000/8. Worth the flier with the last couple picks. 

giphy.gif

43 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

giphy.gif

Umm... you gave both the best and worst cases. That doesn't deserve a pat on the back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, devaster said:

Umm... you gave both the best and worst cases. That doesn't deserve a pat on the back.

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2019 at 2:17 PM, pastorofmuppets2 said:

is this the AJ Brown thread?

🤷‍♂️

DK has much higher potential than Brown. 

Also, after last game DK has more receptions and yards with the same amount of TDs over 18 games total. Regardless, both dudes are studs. Crazy to think they played for the same college.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

I want to start a petition to make Marshawn Lynch a game day commentator.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Keeper for me. Got him as free agent. Lucky, was a binky late rounder. I didn’t draft but got a couple weeks in. 

Edited by PizzaBeerFF

On 1/7/2020 at 10:21 PM, hockeyfan77 said:

Got him in Dynasty, kinda excited about next year!

With the injuries to their RB's & his late-season development, I can see him exploding next year.  Definitely one of my targets as a WR2 or WR3

1 minute ago, lvsaint429 said:

With the injuries to their RB's & his late-season development, I can see him exploding next year.  Definitely one of my targets as a WR2 or WR3

They need to vary his targets at least a bit - practically everything he caught was left-short/middle.  He’s more talented than that.  It’s kind of amazing he accomplished what he did with such a dense target concentration.

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

They need to vary his targets at least a bit - practically everything he caught was left-short/middle.  He’s more talented than that.  It’s kind of amazing he accomplished what he did with such a dense target concentration.

That's because he is ridiculously raw. Easily the most raw WR prospect in the draft. That's the crazy part. If you look at this entire year he has 1060 yards in 18 games and 8 TDs. 

For all the criticism I have for how Seattle runs its offense, their use of DK has been brilliant. You can see how raw he is if you watch them play consistently. Especially earlier on in the season it was frustrating at times with ball security, lack of ability to make tough catches, struggling to high point the ball, and a few other things. All these things drastically improved as the season went on though. 

So no I do not agree that he is more talented than that. Yet... If they threw him out with a full route tree he would be overwhelmed and his confidence would be shot. He already struggled at times with a similar route tree from a fundementals and skill perspective. 

Now, this may seem like i'm bashing DK but it is quite the opposite. The dude just turned 22 and played this season more or less relying on his athletisism to beat guys, was slowly worked into a bigger role, and was extremely limited in his route tree. Yet he still put up 900 yards and 7 TDs despite this. Imagine when he actually gets good. The guy gets most of his yards by simply leaving corners in the dust. 

I still cannot wrap by mind around how a WR that is 6 4 and 230 with a 4.33 40 and 40 inch vert dropped to the end of the second. How dumb do you have to be to not see how those measurables alone could make a guy dominant. Like his measurables are the closest thing to guys like Calvin and Julio since Calvin and Julio...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I still cannot wrap by mind around how a WR that is 6 4 and 230 with a 4.33 40 and 40 inch vert dropped to the end of the second. How dumb do you have to be to not see how those measurables alone could make a guy dominant. Like his measurables are the closest thing to guys like Calvin and Julio since Calvin and Julio...

Dorial Green-Beckham says hi. I remember watching something about DK pre-draft though and thought he could be a very good player.

15 minutes ago, devaster said:

Dorial Green-Beckham says hi. I remember watching something about DK pre-draft though and thought he could be a very good player.

Comparison doesn't work great. Couple reasons.

DGB was a combine stud. Metcalf was a combine freak.

Metcalf 0.16 faster 40

14 more bench reps

7 inches more on the vertical

15 inches more on the broad jump

DGB was viewed as a physical freak for sure. Metcalf is next level.

However, the reason this comparison doesn't work great is because DGB had absolutely massive off field issues. The dude couldn't stay out of trouble to save his life. Probably had massive issues with work ethic as well.

Just listen to a DK interview. Incredibly humble and respectful. The dude basically memorizes Wilsons weekly scouting reports. Stories of him being first one in and last one out. Etc. Quote from Carroll after last game:

“He has been really steady,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said after the game. “He’s always understood as we installed and taught him stuff. He’s always picked things up. He’s never stumbled or staggered his way through it. He’s been a great learner and he’s been a great worker. He takes his work very seriously. He practices really seriously. He stays late all the time. He’s always working on his things—on his technique, on his principles. That’s just been the way he has been, so I don’t think there’s been big changes. I think, if anything has shifted, would be his confidence is really there. He knows he can play this game at this level and he wants to be in the middle of it all. He’s got a great demeanor about that too. He’s not yapping about wanting the football or for calling for this or that. He just plays the game the way you love guys to play—with great work ethic and great focus. And he’s got marvelous talent, so he’s just getting going. I just think it’s been a really steady ascent to this point. That was a huge game obviously, but he’s been playing good football all year.”

So yeah that Comparison is void. For people that got him in dynasty congrats. Freak natural gifts + incredible work ethic = stud. That simple. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The work ethic and personality doesn't come out until after a team drafts and brings them in. Freak vs stud... come on now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, devaster said:

The work ethic and personality doesn't come out until after a team drafts and brings them in. Freak vs stud... come on now.

Dude DK was nearly two tenths of a second faster, benched twice as much, broad jump over a foot further, and vertical 7 inches more. 

His combine is a lot more comparable to guys like Calvin and Julio than Green-Beckham. Their difference in 40 is like Wilson and RG3...

14 hours ago, devaster said:

"The work ethic and personality doesn't come out until after a team drafts and brings them in. Freak vs stud... come on now."

I agree with your latter point, but scouts know all about a prospect's work ethic & mindset before they bring him in. Obviously, players taken off the top have shown it all.... at the collegiate level. D.K. Metcalf has the skill set of a dominant primary, with extensive NFL bloodlines! But he was an early entry with very little experience at the previous level & a history of injury. Nor does Ol' Miss run a pro-style offense, purportedly. It may interesting to see how both A.J. Brown & Metcalf are defended this weekend. 

Edited by markrc99

On 1/9/2020 at 4:07 PM, Gohawks said:

So yeah that Comparison is void. For people that got him in dynasty congrats. Freak natural gifts + incredible work ethic = stud. That simple. 

The real comparison is DK and Andre Johnson.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:31 PM, Baur10 said:

I want to start a petition to make Marshawn Lynch a game day commentator.

****, if Boog can do it..