Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, nlm said:

Is that how high he is going right now? I had a very early draft, point of the draft was that it was very early... I managed Monty with pick #56 in round 5. Has his stock really jumped that much? I feel fortunate as hell to have gotten him when I did if he's going this high now. He's locked in as my flex, too. ūüėé

with the way rbs are flying off in the draft round 5 would be a miracle at this point

3 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Just to be clear, my point was that Davis was given backup money, not starter money so I'm not concerned about him taking a huge role in the offense. It's not comparable to the 49ers signing McKinnon to a 4 year, 30 million dollar deal, where you almost have to make him a big part of the run game once he's healthy to not waste a good chunk of cap space. So, we agree here.

...I probably shouldn't have put the comma after 'yes' ... as if an answer to my question.

Oh i know, I'm with you, maybe it came off i wasn't, if it did my bad man.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

The ‚Äúsharper‚ÄĚ players are picking Jacobs over Monty? Now that‚Äôs funny.

The sharper players play in the NFC not my money yahoo leagues its a fact. In those leagues I just showed you the ADP.

Posted (edited)

So I took the advice...Drafted Jacobs in 3rd and Monty in 4th so I could sleep well...Well rested now...

Edited by dfstout
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Matt Nagy is owed a lot of thanks for not playing Montgomery after that first preseason game (from owners who grabbed him at a decent ADP). I feel like there's more skepticism because there haven't been anymore highlights to get excited about. It speaks volumes, however, that Montgomery didn't feel the need to give a rookie any more preseason reps. That's unheard of. Miles Sanders, on the other hand, has played in all 3 preseason games. My gut is that Nagy knows just how important it is to get a win in week 1 against Aaron Rodgers and that he doesn't want the Packers to have anymore gametape on Montgomery.

I feel like he'll be the talk of the league Friday morning after opening day.

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/08/27/nine-days-from-full-unveiling-bears-top-pick-david-montgomery-earns-high-praise-from-all-pro-teammate/ajzqwbm/

Eddie Jackson on Montgomery:

"Uh, man. David's a dog. That's just plan-right and just-flat out," Chicago's first-team All Pro said of the organization's first player selected in April's draft, RB David Montgomery. "He's a dog. He's a gamer. Just to see how he come out here and compete against us, our defense, it just shows that he's something special. He's one of those X-factors that we have on offense right now. Him and Tarik [Cohen], and Mike [Davis], to see what that backfield can do, it's kind of crazy. We're really expecting a lot from him as a young guy."

https://670thescore.radio.com/bernstein-huge-vote-confidence-bears-david-montgomery-breakout

Paul Charchian of Fanball and KFAN in Minneapolis joined the Bernstein & McKnight Show on 670 The Score on Tuesday, and he was effusive in his projections of Montgomery's immediate success, already ranking him as the 10th-best fantasy running back in the entire NFL before he has even played a down of professional football.

"I love David Montgomery," Charchian said. "There's a chance Montgomery is so good, he simply creates a mandate to be used in almost all situations -- as a between-the-tackles runner, as an outside runner, as a goal-line runner and as a pass catcher. He's got really good hands. I think Montgomery is so far better than all the other alternatives a running back, and he can do so many things, that sooner or later you put the best guys on the field at the most important positions and it's going to be Montgomery most of the time. And because of that, I've got Montgomery way up at No. 10."

"I really, really believe that he is going to far outpace every other rookie in production, and it is the kind of guy you can just go to war with every week," Charchian said. "David Montgomery -- a special back in an emerging offense. And the defense is so good, you never have to worry about a second-half situation where the Bears are down by 21 and they're not running the ball. Everything is set for success for Montgomery. I'm convinced it all translates. He's so much better than Jordan Howard, so give him those 280 touches and he'll more than live up to the top-10 billing."

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Matt Nagy is owed a lot of thanks for not playing Montgomery after that first preseason game (from owners who grabbed him at a decent ADP). I feel like there's more skepticism because there haven't been anymore highlights to get excited about. It speaks volumes, however, that Montgomery didn't feel the need to give a rookie any more preseason reps. That's unheard of. Miles Sanders, on the other hand, has played in all 3 preseason games. My gut is that Nagy knows just how important it is to get a win in week 1 against Aaron Rodgers and that he doesn't want the Packers to have anymore gametape on Montgomery.

I feel like he'll be the talk of the league Friday morning after opening day.

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/08/27/nine-days-from-full-unveiling-bears-top-pick-david-montgomery-earns-high-praise-from-all-pro-teammate/ajzqwbm/

Eddie Jackson on Montgomery:

"Uh, man. David's a dog. That's just plan-right and just-flat out," Chicago's first-team All Pro said of the organization's first player selected in April's draft, RB David Montgomery. "He's a dog. He's a gamer. Just to see how he come out here and compete against us, our defense, it just shows that he's something special. He's one of those X-factors that we have on offense right now. Him and Tarik [Cohen], and Mike [Davis], to see what that backfield can do, it's kind of crazy. We're really expecting a lot from him as a young guy."

https://670thescore.radio.com/bernstein-huge-vote-confidence-bears-david-montgomery-breakout

Paul Charchian of Fanball and KFAN in Minneapolis joined the Bernstein & McKnight Show on 670 The Score on Tuesday, and he was effusive in his projections of Montgomery's immediate success, already ranking him as the 10th-best fantasy running back in the entire NFL before he has even played a down of professional football.

"I love David Montgomery," Charchian said. "There's a chance Montgomery is so good, he simply creates a mandate to be used in almost all situations -- as a between-the-tackles runner, as an outside runner, as a goal-line runner and as a pass catcher. He's got really good hands. I think Montgomery is so far better than all the other alternatives a running back, and he can do so many things, that sooner or later you put the best guys on the field at the most important positions and it's going to be Montgomery most of the time. And because of that, I've got Montgomery way up at No. 10."

"I really, really believe that he is going to far outpace every other rookie in production, and it is the kind of guy you can just go to war with every week," Charchian said. "David Montgomery -- a special back in an emerging offense. And the defense is so good, you never have to worry about a second-half situation where the Bears are down by 21 and they're not running the ball. Everything is set for success for Montgomery. I'm convinced it all translates. He's so much better than Jordan Howard, so give him those 280 touches and he'll more than live up to the top-10 billing."

The bolded cannot be understated.

Love me some Charch, and I think he is absolutely correct. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Onion said:

Love me some Charch, and I think he is absolutely correct. [...]

Just read this article 5 mins ago and was going to this forum to write how I am starting to become a believer...then saw this posted lol...[... One might have to take him higher than that now...I think I'm done having Montgomery pay for the sins of JHow and Nagy last year...

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

7 minutes ago, Onion said:

Love me some Charch, and I think he is absolutely correct. Took Monty at the beginning of the 5th a week ago and am ecstatic.

Nagy doesn't play his starters in the preseason. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

Nagy doesn't play his starters in the preseason. 

Exactly. For a rookie to earn that right is surprising.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Check out this vids if you aren't convinced.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Great, just when I thought I couldn’t like him more. Really rooting for this kid, he has the makings of being a special player. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Just offered Michael Thomas for him straight up. Damn you!

• Like 1

I have zero problem reaching for this guy. He is going to be a beast for years if the injury bug doesn't bite. Got in a bidding war with another owner last weekend. I spent $28 and had no reservations about it.

I also have no problem reaching for this guy. Obviously, I'm not going to be reaching for him in the 10-19 ADP range...but I have absolutely no problem taking him in the ADP 24-30 range...

The Bears moved up in the draft to get him for a reason. They didn't do that just to sit on this guy and not play him.

Sometimes you watch tape, and you see a special player. He kind of reminds me of the hype that surrounded Kareem Hunt a couple years back...And we all remember how that one ended up.

Draft this guy with confidence. Reach if you like him.

But to me, he's got the lookings of being a guy who can give your team 11-15 PPR points a week, with 20+ PPR point upside.

46 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

I also have no problem reaching for this guy. Obviously, I'm not going to be reaching for him in the 10-19 ADP range...but I have absolutely no problem taking him in the ADP 24-30 range...

Hoping to get him at 36. It's a 2 qb league but our draft reads a bit different year after year. Fingers crossed.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Mike Davis and Tarik Cohen haven’t gotten a single touch all pre-season. In fact, Monty actually playing goes somewhat against your theory a bit. Not saying Monty won’t be the bellcow, just saying that I wouldn’t read too much into Nagy’s pre-season. 

Edited by Sonny_D

8 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

He didn't earn that right. It was known that Montgomery would start when he was drafted. Nagy doesn't expose his players to preseason games, especially after Shaheen and Floyd got hurt last year. It has nothing to do with a player earning the time off. 

I'm not saying Montgomery won't be good or great, I'm just saying his lack of action this preseason isn't a result of him earning it. It is Nagy's blanket approach to the preseason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disasterisk said:

He didn't earn that right. It was known that Montgomery would start when he was drafted. Nagy doesn't expose his players to preseason games, especially after Shaheen and Floyd got hurt last year. It has nothing to do with a player earning the time off. 

I'm not saying Montgomery won't be good or great, I'm just saying his lack of action this preseason isn't a result of him earning it. It is Nagy's blanket approach to the preseason. 

Right. He earned it LAST year.

Ugh I’m getting pulled in.

I have these RBs in the same tier, and this is probably how I rank them now:

Fournette

Kerryon

Montgomery

Aaron Jones

Carson

Jacobs

Damien Williams

Devonta Freeman

I don’t want to get off on a tangent on my order of these other players, but just where Montgomery falls in this tier.

So, for the Montgomery truthers is this about where you’re putting him, or is this even too high for you (or too low).

For those who don‚Äôt believe in Montgomery (yet ūüėČ), is this insane?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gufomel said:

Ugh I’m getting pulled in.

I have these RBs in the same tier, and this is probably how I rank them now:

Fournette

Kerryon

Montgomery

Aaron Jones

Carson

Jacobs

Damien Williams

Devonta Freeman

I don’t want to get off on a tangent on my order of these other players, but just where Montgomery falls in this tier.

So, for the Montgomery truthers is this about where you’re putting him, or is this even too high for you (or too low).

For those who don‚Äôt believe in Montgomery (yet ūüėČ), is this insane?

These rankings aren't bad, but I don't trust Fournette at all and I don't trust Matt Patricia to not be an idiot either.

If healthy Aaron Jones could be the no 1 pick next year, but he probably won't be healthy.

Monty is a rock solid RB bet with everything you want. I reached EARLY (22nd overall) and I don't regret it at all.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 8:49 PM, pushaZ said:

You don't have to believe it. I've been through this kind of thread before.

If you pass on him it's not gonna take long for you to regret it. Montgomery is a hall of fame talent, Howard is and always was a JAG

I don't know how anyone can say Montgomery is a HoF talent already but Howard was certainly just another guy coming out of college and overachieved with the Bears.  I think Howard's best years are pretty much over.  Montgomery is talented but I wouldn't put him on the level as Barkley or Zeke coming out of college.

• Like 1

Does everyone think that Montgomery can reach or exceed these numbers?

250 attempts for 935 yards and 9 TDs. Targeted 26 times for 20 receptions and 145 yards.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

250 attempts for 935 yards and 9 TDs. Targeted 26 times for 20 receptions and 145 yards.

This seems perfectly reasonable to me. I expect a few more catches, like 27. Great flex in standard or RB2 in PPR

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

This seems perfectly reasonable to me. I expect a few more catches, like 27. Great flex in standard or RB2 in PPR

Those were Howard's stats from last season and I feel like most people think of him as a bum RB.  I see no reason why Montgomery can't do better.  Howard was able to do that as a less talented back along with Cohen and Cunningham getting carries and receptions.

Edited by Hawkeye21

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

K