Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

Just now, Gandalfthecat said:

I'd like to believe you but Monty hasn't shown any of that at the NFL level yet. 

Have to take off the rose-coloured glasses at some point. 

Dude is very hard to take down. He's already shown that much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

He was brought in as an "offesive guru". Yup really lived up to that.

Cant just look at the win-loss and say whether someone is good or not. Oh and that 12-4 record last year resulted in a 1 and done in the playoffs.

Can't be a guru when Mitch, the worst starting qb in the NFL, is who you're stuck with. The game plan today against a top tier defense was superb. 

6 minutes ago, Mest30 said:

Can't be a guru when Mitch, the worst starting qb in the NFL, is who you're stuck with. The game plan today against a top tier defense was superb. 

So the plan is to have mitch throw all game?

1 hour ago, mjb said:

24 touches 

Davis inactive

Defense you can’t score on. With better matchups, RB2 potential.

1. Meh, the offense already was anemic.  And now with Mitch out and perhaps one of the worst backup situations in the league, I don't see how it's going to get any better.
  • Thanks 1

He can get much speed going taking every handoff from the shotgun. He hasn't taken advantage of his opportunities but he isnt being dealt the bast cards with this play-calling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gandalfthecat said:

I'd like to believe you but Monty hasn't shown any of that at the NFL level yet. 

Have to take off the rose-coloured glasses at some point. 

The gameplan isn't doing him any favors. I dont think he's the goat but I'd at least like better play calling for us to see that and live with the results 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, nkb32 said:

He can get much speed going taking every handoff from the shotgun. He hasn't taken advantage of his opportunities but he isnt being dealt the bast cards with this play-calling.

They need Monty in the Diamond formation

1 hour ago, mvttchew said:

All his touches came in the last quarter to play keep away. He’s not part of the game plan. 

Except the Bears will be in this situation every week

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Except the Bears will be in this situation every week

Even so, defenses will know the plays if it’s just playing keep away. It’s gonna be 50-60 yards a game for the foreseeable future if nothing changes with the play calling. Don’t know how this is encouraging at all. 

20 minutes ago, mvttchew said:

Even so, defenses will know the plays if it’s just playing keep away. It’s gonna be 50-60 yards a game for the foreseeable future if nothing changes with the play calling. Don’t know how this is encouraging at all. 

There's a lot of RBs getting heavy workloads this year that are consistently disappointing...

The teams that don't have volume guys (which a lot don't in 14 teamers) would love to be in this situation.

Monty is up against a lot as a rookie, his breakout game is coming. His matchups have been pretty tough so far.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pushaZ said:

There's a lot of RBs getting heavy workloads this year that are consistently disappointing...

The teams that don't have volume guys (which a lot don't in 14 teamers) would love to be in this situation.

Monty is up against a lot as a rookie, his breakout game is coming. His matchups have been pretty tough so far.

Montgomery’s adp was in the third or fourth round depending on league size. So he was likely being drafted as an RB2. I’d be curious what the average record is of those teams that have had to start him as an RB2 these first four weeks. It must hurt. Especially when some of those teams likely chose him over Mark Ingram or Chris Carson. People drafted this guy imagining that he would have bellcow status from early on. And while it looks like he has assumed at least the lion’s share, now the question is what it’s worth. If this were Walter Payton’s Bears, it’d be worth a lot. But instead, you have this tinkerer Nagy who thinks he’s smarter than everyone else, Tarik Cohen who will siphon a ton of work, and a pretty anemic offense now being led for the foreseeable future by a career clipboard holder. Outlook not good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CooL said:

Montgomery’s adp was in the third or fourth round depending on league size. So he was likely being drafted as an RB2. I’d be curious what the average record is of those teams that have had to start him as an RB2 these first four weeks. It must hurt. Especially when some of those teams likely chose him over Mark Ingram or Chris Carson. People drafted this guy imagining that he would have bellcow status from early on. And while it looks like he has assumed at least the lion’s share, now the question is what it’s worth. If this were Walter Payton’s Bears, it’d be worth a lot. But instead, you have this tinkerer Nagy who thinks he’s smarter than everyone else, Tarik Cohen who will siphon a ton of work, and a pretty anemic offense now being led for the foreseeable future by a career clipboard holder. Outlook not good.

I got him in the 5th, and as we have already discussed to the point that it's very boring, if you took him in the Top 30 that's your own fault, and he was never going to have bellcow status from Week 1. Frankly, I'm shocked and encouraged he's getting as many touches as he has. Couldn't care less about Cohen when he's seeing 20 touches per game.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CooL said:

Places visor on bald head

What, you think a guy who was somehow pushing forward for 2-3 yards a carry near the end of the game when the Vikes had 9 in the box should be getting the call on 3rd and short instead of Cordarelle Patterson? Well that is just crazy talk.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I got him in the 5th, and as we have already discussed to the point that it's very boring, if you took him in the Top 30 that's your own fault, and he was never going to have bellcow status from Week 1. Frankly, I'm shocked and encouraged he's getting as many touches as he has. Couldn't care less about Cohen when he's seeing 20 touches per game.

I'll admit that I haven't read all 68 pages of this thread.  I was responding to the post above mine that said "The teams that don't have volume guys (which a lot don't in 14 teamers) would love to be in this situation."  You got him in the 5th round?  Of a 14 teamer?  He was being drafted at pick 33 right at Labor Day before the season.  That's third round in 12 and 14 teamers.  So likely being drafted as an RB2.  Sure, I'm sure there's some teams out there that drafted this rook high and then got lucky with an Austin Ekeler so they're sitting pretty at 4-0.  But I imagine a lot of teams that have plugged him blindly into the lineup for the last 4 weeks because their other options are Latavius Murray, Rashad Penny, Royce Freeman, etc. have struggled mightily.  So yeah, now he's getting touches finally.  But they're not amounting too much.  And you're likely going to have to wait a little longer for them to be valuable and giving you consistent RB2 numbers.  At which point a lot of teams might be looking at a sunk season already.

David Montgomery Average Draft Position PPR

1 minute ago, CooL said:

I'll admit that I haven't read all 68 pages of this thread.  I was responding to the post above mine that said "The teams that don't have volume guys (which a lot don't in 14 teamers) would love to be in this situation."  You got him in the 5th round?  Of a 14 teamer?  He was being drafted at pick 33 right at Labor Day before the season.  That's third round in 12 and 14 teamers.  So likely being drafted as an RB2.  Sure, I'm sure there's some teams out there that drafted this rook high and then got lucky with an Austin Ekeler so they're sitting pretty at 4-0.  But I imagine a lot of teams that have plugged him blindly into the lineup for the last 4 weeks because their other options are Latavius Murray, Rashad Penny, Royce Freeman, etc. have struggled mightily.  So yeah, now he's getting touches finally.  But they're not amounting too much.  And you're likely going to have to wait a little longer for them to be valuable and giving you consistent RB2 numbers.  At which point a lot of teams might be looking at a sunk season already.

David Montgomery Average Draft Position PPR

He plays in an 8 man league, duh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CooL said:

To answer your question, a lot of the reason I have him is because he was super low on X-Rank on Yahoo, but FFC needs to be taken with a grain of salt, too. That's where the dregs of Rotoworld take Damien Williams in the Top 20. Montgomery was similarly being overhyped here. I feel no remorse for owners that took him way too early, and he's basically giving me what I expected in September in terms of production. Much more usage, so I feel better going forward than I expected to at this point.

• Like 1

His YPC has been garbage each week it feels like. But it seems like thats a product of the plays that are being ran for him and I don’t think many rbs would look too good in the opportunities hes been given. Maybe they eventually start using him differently and things change but right now hes being used like a jordan howard when he has the potential to be more.

4 minutes ago, JaylenBrownFanclub said:

His YPC has been garbage each week it feels like. But it seems like thats a product of the plays that are being ran for him and I don’t think many rbs would look too good in the opportunities hes been given. Maybe they eventually start using him differently and things change but right now hes being used like a jordan howard when he has the potential to be more.

I've been fairly unimpressed by him but Nagy's playcalls for him have been absolutely terrible too

I despise the shotgun formation consistently being used for this offense......period!!  They should be operating out of the 'I' or power formation to give Montgomery a chance to really shine.  Nagy keeps this up and he is going to wear his defense into the ground because it won't be able to keep up with all the potential 3 and outs to come.   He needs to rethink what he has and utilize correctly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Dude is very hard to take down. He's already shown that much.

That may be true but he tip toes up to the line. I was a bit shocked watching him yesterday, he looked really soft out there. 

• Haha 1

Montgomery is very talented but the run blocking and play calling have been terrible for him.  A lot of his usage has been at the end of the last two games when trying to eat up clock.  He was running against a stacked box and behind a line that has done poorly run blocking.  The majority of the yards he has have come from pure talent alone when he's been able to break tackles, find tiny openings and fight hard.  I can't imagine too many other RBs doing much better.

12 hours ago, mvttchew said:

He plays in an 8 man league, duh. 

If you had paid attention to all of the red flags pointed out by people like me, you wouldn't have drafted Monty as your fringe RB1, so I'd save the orginial witticisms. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Montgomery is very talented but the run blocking and play calling have been terrible for him.  A lot of his usage has been at the end of the last two games when trying to eat up clock.  He was running against a stacked box and behind a line that has done poorly run blocking.  The majority of the yards he has have come from pure talent alone when he's been able to break tackles, find tiny openings and fight hard.  I can't imagine too many other RBs doing much better.

Exactly.  Maybe just maybe it wasn't Jordan Howards fault he looked so bad last year.  At this point of his career the only year he hasn't average 4 yds a carry is with Nagy calling plays.  I have Dmont in one league and am feeling less confident by the week.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

If you had paid attention to all of the red flags pointed out by people like me, you wouldn't have drafted Monty as your fringe RB1, so I'd save the orginial witticisms. 

But CMC and Mack are my “fringe” RB1s. So relax buddy. 

this guy is good no doubt about that.. but the running blocking scheme sucks and play calling. If they utilize him correctly this guy would be putting up big numbers.

• Thanks 1