Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

Just now, ShowStopper said:

this guy is good no doubt about that.. but the running blocking scheme sucks and play calling. If they utilize him correctly this guy would be putting up big numbers.

You're channeling the Jordan Howard 2018 thread.

I just watched a Payton documentary.  The Bears should put a call into Matt Suhey, that's what this offense needs.  It's unimaginative, yes.  But with a strong D and a middling and overrated starting QB, you just need to commit to the run and grind out games.  You won't catch your opponents off guard.  People won't call the head coach some "offensive genius".  But you'll surely put on a better offensive product than we are currently seeing.

2 minutes ago, CooL said:

I just watched a Payton documentary.  The Bears should put a call into Matt Suhey, that's what this offense needs.  It's unimaginative, yes.  But with a strong D and a middling and overrated starting QB, you just need to commit to the run and grind out games.  You won't catch your opponents off guard.  People won't call the head coach some "offensive genius".  But you'll surely put on a better offensive product than we are currently seeing.

Maybe Nagy dials back the gimmicky plays at least as long as Mitch is out.   

Right?

5 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Maybe Nagy dials back the gimmicky plays at least as long as Mitch is out.   

Right?

looked that way on sunday. But instead of gimmick plays it was running Dmont right up the middle every time with the line getting no push.  Guess the only silver lining is they won't be playing Min every week.

• Like 1

I was one of the guys who went WR/RB/WR/WR then grabbed him in the 5th. Did it on two teams. 

I love the volume. That's a good sign. But this O is downright awful from the play calling to the decision making. Whats not helping that is they are winning games. 

I hope this kid can turn it on and offer some RB2/Flex Value. With the volume, it should eventually come. 

3 hours ago, ShowStopper said:

this guy is good no doubt about that.. but the running blocking scheme sucks and play calling. If they utilize him correctly this guy would be putting up big numbers.

The OL still needs major improvement too.  Hard to run behind a terrible line.  Also, having a deep passing game to keep a defense honest would go a long ways.  Teams know they won't throw deep so it's safe to load the box every down.

Edited by Hawkeye21

2.2 YPC as a team. 3.8 last week, 5.3 the week before (standing ovation), and 3,1 week 1.

The "plodder" Howard is averaging nearly 5 YPC this season after leaving the worst run game design coach in recent memory. They have a very good line, a very good rookie, and a very good COP back and this is the kind of horse s--- Nagy pumps out every week.

I will repeat once more Nagy doesn't just throw the ball because he wants to throw a lot. He throws the ball because he is just as capable of designing a run scheme as Jeff Fisher is a passing scheme. Maybe even worse. If you own Monty I suggest you don't watch a single Bears snap the rest of the season. It'll make you want to pour bleach into your eyes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

2.2 YPC as a team. 3.8 last week, 5.3 the week before (standing ovation), and 3,1 week 1.

The "plodder" Howard is averaging nearly 5 YPC this season after leaving the worst run game design coach in recent memory. They have a very good line, a very good rookie, and a very good COP back and this is the kind of horse s--- Nagy pumps out every week.

I will repeat once more Nagy doesn't just throw the ball because he wants to throw a lot. He throws the ball because he is just as capable of designing a run scheme as Jeff Fisher is a passing scheme. Maybe even worse. If you own Monty I suggest you don't watch a single Bears snap the rest of the season. It'll make you want to pour bleach into your eyes. 

Have you been watching their run blocking this year?

• Like 1

I makes no sense that the Bears traded away Howard for a 6th round pick because his skill set didn’t match their offense, then traded up to draft Monty in the 3rd, and have proceeded to utilize Monty the exact same way they used Howard.

But it’s senseless to try to make sense of the nonsensical.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Have you been watching their run blocking this year?

Much like everything, run blocking is a scheme. 

Very good may be too much but they got a solid unit. The Bears just have a terrible blocking scheme. It still seems like they are running for the sake of setting up the throw. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Having Mitch go down may of been the best thing for this young man. Two things are exciting me currently

1. Sticking my dick in a big bowl of pudding

2. Chase Daniels as the Bears Qb.

Can I pm you a couple questions on your pudding setup?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Having Mitch go down may of been the best thing for this young man. Two things are exciting me currently

1. Sticking my dick in a big bowl of pudding

2. Chase Daniels as the Bears Qb.

Please let me know where you live so I can be sure to avoiding eating pudding there.  

I really believe(d?) in this dude but as we have examined the situation, it just sucks all around how they use him and the other lack of any passing threat, Nagy etc. etc. etc.

I might hang on to him a little while longer, just to see what the story is without Mitchell- but otherwise I think I have to actually drop him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, K197040 said:

Please let me know where you live so I can be sure to avoiding eating pudding there.  

Do you typically eat pudding at people’s house?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is really pudding me off right now.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RonnieRonaldo said:

Sell him now?  Better days are surely ahead right?

Don't sell him now. You answered your own question.

24 touches sunday. He'll have big games with that kind of work.

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 1

The touches are now there but the fantasy points aren't. 

I think this past Sunday is going to be the type of games the Bears are going to play alot of this year. The chances for TD's are going to be few and far between for him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

This thread is really pudding me off right now.

Best reply would have been this thread is off pudding. 

I also agree on not selling Monty right now. I do like how he has got majority of his work running the ball at the end of the game in predictable situations, but at this point volume is volume still and I think it gets better. 

Their offensive line hasn’t been playing well by any means but I think they planned on having Monty’s role grow as the year went on. I think he’s still a rookie and sometimes it isn’t instant. I still believe in the talent and the offense to be good enough to get him touches with scoring opportunities. The rest of the schedule however does look a little tough. 

This is his coming out party this week!! Not out of the closet, but as a reliable RB2. I think he will put up 20 points this week. 

1 hour ago, mrfrood said:

This is his coming out party this week!! Not out of the closet, but as a reliable RB2. I think he will put up 20 points this week. 

Hope you’re right because the only reason I’m starting him is because of bye’s and injuries.

At some point we probably need to begin to consider the possibility that a rb who runs a 4.64 40 just may not be able to cut it in the NFL.... All those guys who weren't able to tackle him in college are doing something other than playing in the NFL right now. He plays like a guy with speed, but he has none. A guy who runs a 4.64 needs to be more of a north-south runner in the NFL. 

Edited by Kaii23
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

At some point we probably need to begin to consider the possibility that a rb who runs a 4.64 40 just may not be able to cut it in the NFL.... All those guys who weren't able to tackle him in college are doing something other than playing in the NFL right now. He plays like a guy with speed, but he has none. A guy who runs a 4.64 needs to be more of a north-south runner in the NFL. 

This hasn't proved to be the issue yet.  Once he starts missing obvious opportunities to big runs then I will agree.  So far I've only seen him create most of his yards because the help isn't there for him.

The Bears do not have a passing threat downfield yet.  Opposing teams want the Bears to beat them by throwing deep but they won't do it.  Defenses are loading the box because all the Bears do is throw short passes and run on obvious running downs.  They are not a hard offense to defend right now.