Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

6 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

At some point we probably need to begin to consider the possibility that a rb who runs a 4.64 40 just may not be able to cut it in the NFL.... All those guys who weren't able to tackle him in college are doing something other than playing in the NFL right now. He plays like a guy with speed, but he has none. A guy who runs a 4.64 needs to be more of a north-south runner in the NFL. 

Why would we consider that a possibility when plenty of RBs are successful and run 4.6+ 40 times. This has absolutely nothing to do with why he hasn't been great. It 100% comes down to play calling. Not to mention the fact that they have below average QB play. Defenses can play for the run knowing they don't have to worry about Trubisky.

12 hours ago, LarryDavid said:

Do you typically eat pudding at people’s house?

No.   But if someone offered, I'd want to to be able to enjoy it and feel comfortable that it wasn't d**k pudding.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

At some point we probably need to begin to consider the possibility that a rb who runs a 4.64 40 just may not be able to cut it in the NFL.... All those guys who weren't able to tackle him in college are doing something other than playing in the NFL right now. He plays like a guy with speed, but he has none. A guy who runs a 4.64 needs to be more of a north-south runner in the NFL. 

Leveon Bell Kareem Hunt, I'm sure there are plenty of examples but the whole 40 time thing is weak. I believe he's top 10 in broken tackles so um he's alright with adjusting to NFL defenders I think. Do you watch the games? 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

The whole 40 time thing is weak. 

This.

Alvin Kamara runs unofficial 4.53 40-yard dash.

Nick Chubb runs an unofficial 4.53 40-yard dash...... Right by all Ravens defenders. 

Yeah....not fast enough for my team.

Edited by this guy right here
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

Leveon Bell Kareem Hunt, I'm sure there are plenty of examples but the whole 40 time thing is weak. I believe he's top 10 in broken tackles so um he's alright with adjusting to NFL defenders I think. Do you watch the games? 

Name a top 10 rb not named Le'veon with 4.6 speed. I'll wait..  And le'veon was right at 4.60... Montgomery was at 4.64 and he doesn't have the wiggle that le'veon has. And based on Conner's production after le'veon I'm not sure if any random running back wouldn't succeed in Pittsburghs system. Same with Hunt. All backs look good in the right system. 

Edited by Kaii23

1 minute ago, Kaii23 said:

Name a top 10 rb not named Le'veon with 4.6 speed. I'll wait..  And le'veon was right at 4.60... Montgomery was at 4.64 and he doesn't have the wiggle that le'veon has. 

Are you talking about 2019? 2018? all time? nvm ..blocked. 

This guys been disappointing own him in a small yearly and hard to trust...

1 minute ago, JSA2422 said:

Are you talking about 2019? 2018? all time? nvm ..blocked. 

This year. I'll wait. And le'veon is not looking so great at all this year away from Pittsburgh. 

As  a Bears fan and someone who was really excited about this guy going into the year, I have to admit, I am just not seeing greatness out of this guy.  While the line hasn't done a stellar job of blocking for him, there are usually 3 or 4 times a game where there looks to be a hole for him and he just doesn't have the speed to get to it.  Those 3 or 4 runs could be the difference between a 40 yard rushing game and a 80+ rushing yard game.  On the plus side, he is a patient runner (sometimes looks like L. Bell), he is hard to bring down, and he catches the ball well.  

While I'm rooting for him, so far I haven't seen anything that is giving me hope for a lot of upside.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GChicago said:

As  a Bears fan and someone who was really excited about this guy going into the year, I have to admit, I am just not seeing greatness out of this guy.  While the line hasn't done a stellar job of blocking for him, there are usually 3 or 4 times a game where there looks to be a hole for him and he just doesn't have the speed to get to it.  Those 3 or 4 runs could be the difference between a 40 yard rushing game and a 80+ rushing yard game.  On the plus side, he is a patient runner (sometimes looks like L. Bell), he is hard to bring down, and he catches the ball well.  

While I'm rooting for him, so far I haven't seen anything that is giving me hope for a lot of upside.

I've been trying to find some video of all his runs to see if I've missed anything but I don't recall too many times where he's missed a hole.  I do believe he has because all RBs do occasionally, that's just part of the game.  I just haven't seen the OL open many holes at all and it's frustrating.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

Name a top 10 rb not named Le'veon with 4.6 speed. I'll wait..  And le'veon was right at 4.60... Montgomery was at 4.64 and he doesn't have the wiggle that le'veon has. And based on Conner's production after le'veon I'm not sure if any random running back wouldn't succeed in Pittsburghs system. Same with Hunt. All backs look good in the right system. 

The difference between someone running 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6 is extremely minuscule. Arian Foster ran a 4.7 and was elite for a stretch. It really doesn't mean much to the success of a running back. To write off Montgomery or any back based off a slightly slower 40 time is extremely foolish

• Like 1

OLine looks like garbage.  Volume is there and then some.  Have to think better results come at some point.

18 minutes ago, urbank07 said:

The difference between someone running 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6 is extremely minuscule. Arian Foster ran a 4.7 and was elite for a stretch. It really doesn't mean much to the success of a running back. To write off Montgomery or any back based off a slightly slower 40 time is extremely foolish

I don't think it is. Running in between the tackles is a game of inches. The guy who has that quick burst has a huge advantage. It's not the be all end all obviously, but quickness at the running back position is huge. 

1 hour ago, Kaii23 said:

Basing everything on the combine eh? Good luck with that Al

11 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

I don't think it is. Running in between the tackles is a game of inches. The guy who has that quick burst has a huge advantage. It's not the be all end all obviously, but quickness at the running back position is huge. 

The 40 yard dash does not always equate to running between the tackles.  Scouts look at their times at each 10 yard interval to check on speed burst and top speed.  A person could have a similar 10 yard time as the person with the fastest 40 yard time yet have a slower 40 yard time themselves.  Just looking at the total time of a 40 yard dash does little to support claims of how good a RB is.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The 40 yard dash does not always equate to running between the tackles.  Scouts look at their times at each 10 yard interval to check on speed burst and top speed.  A person could have a similar 10 yard time as the person with the fastest 40 yard time yet have a slower 40 yard time themselves.  Just looking at the total time of a 40 yard dash does little to support claims of how good a RB is.

He's a troll or just plain retarded, would be nice if the Ignore feature blocked re-quotes. I believe Josh Jacobs and Devin Singletary also clocked over a 4.6 this year, l-o-l. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Not to mention that the 40's are without pads.   It makes sense (to me) that the weight of the pads would have a more negative impact on smaller or weaker players.  As the weight of the pads are proportionately higher to a lighter RB who might have a great 40 time.   

I realize how that sounds but it's logical.  I think.

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

Not to mention that the 40's are without pads.   It makes sense (to me) that the weight of the pads would have a more negative impact on smaller or weaker players.  As the weight of the pads are proportionately higher to a lighter RB who might have a great 40 time.   

I realize how that sounds but it's logical.  I think.

It's more logical than what Kaii23 was saying.

44 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

You're equating burst with 40 speed? Okay. The two have very little to do with each other. Just because you have great top-end speed doesn't mean that you have great burst...and just because you don't have great top-end speed doesn't mean you have no burst. 

After the high volume he got in W4, I like the game-script potential this week @ Oakland (without Burfict). Hopefully he can match opportunity to volume and give us some actual production.

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

You're equating burst with 40 speed? Okay. The two have very little to do with each other. Just because you have great top-end speed doesn't mean that you have great burst...and just because you don't have great top-end speed doesn't mean you have no burst. 

Saquon - 4.41

CMC - 4.48

Zeke - 4.47

Kamara - 4.53

Chubb - 4.53

Top 5.

Chase > Trubisky, I sound crazy I know, but I think this helps Montgomery ROS. Word is Trubisky is pretty ****** up with a partially torn labrum so I'd have to think Nagy and his merry band of yodels will now realize that they way to wins here is through The Full Monty. 

Starting with reckless abandon at flex till further notice. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Chase > Trubisky, I sound crazy I know, but I think this helps Montgomery ROS. Word is Trubisky is pretty ****** up with a partially torn labrum so I'd have to think Nagy and his merry band of yodels will now realize that they way to wins here is through The Full Monty. 

Starting with reckless abandon at flex till further notice. 

Agree. At least Nagy realized that Mike Davis is just not very good and quickly phased him out of the gameplan. Better days are coming for Monty. His last two games he has been a serviceable #3 rb.

• Like 1

If Chase can complete passes downfield then he will be an improvement.  If he can't, then we're looking at more of the same.