Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

most perplexing moment from yesterday, a real mind fudge ...

Bears had a 4th and 2 in their own territory during the first half, iirc ... Nagy opts to go for it - next thing i see on stat tracker is "1st and 10 Chicago", and a gain of 3 yds for Monty. 

i thought fo' sho that meant the floodgates were about to  BURST some Monty domination. 

but, nah .... fizzle. 

i'm done try'na make logic of this whole sordid gig.   

5 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Image result for im out gif

• Like 2

if only we could have gotten lucky again with Cohen getting pushed out at the 1 ...looked like we had a chance for it 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, nn4mz said:

They say the NFL is a “copy-cat league.”

Not when it comes to Nagy.

Let me be very clear: Montgomery is certainly no Dalvin Cook.  But CHI could very well use him similarly to how they use Cook.

I’m lost on this.

I am with you in the Optimism Dept, but the challenge is an inept QB and Nagy is often in over his head and an excuse maker.

I'm still shocked Monty got 2 lucky GL TDs vs Philly in an otherwise desolate matchup.

Then this week in a feast spot vs Detroit, does little to nothing.

One thing i do like is cold weather RBs. As the year goes on he might continue into more of a rhythm.

39 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Bears had a 4th and 2 in their own territory during the first half, iirc ... Nagy opts to go for it - next thing i see on stat tracker is "1st and 10 Chicago", and a gain of 3 yds for Monty. 

i thought fo' sho that meant the floodgates were about to  BURST some Monty domination. 

but, nah .... fizzle. 

I saw that happen live on stat tracker too. 4th and 2 from their own 35 or something like that. All of a sudden 1st down on a 3 yard run by Monty. I’m like you just trusted Monty on a FOURTH AND TWO from your OWN 35, but you otherwise refuse to run the football until the 4th quarter?

What an absolute bozo. I just don’t get this team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

but, nah .... fizzle. 

10:58 left in the third quarter.  The Bears are up 13-6 and have just intercepted a pass by Lions backup Quarterback Jeff Driskel setting up the offense with excellent field position at the Lions 25.

I think "Ok, now they can just pound the ball with Montgomery, nothing crazy and get another score".

1st and 10- The Bears come out in 21, Cohen lines up as a WR which surprises nobody on the Lions.  Cohen goes in motion twice.  Trubisky takes the snap.  Trubisky flips it to Cohen.  Trubisky is heading the other way, which gets the attention of the Lions.  Cohen Flips the ball to Tyler Gabriel, so it's a reverse with Trubisky as the lead blocker.  The Lions DBs  and the DE were looking in the backfield already on that side because of the possibility of a Trubisky sneak.  Trubisky attempts to block Trey Flowers (265 pound DE), Flowers side steps and lightly shoves Mitch which sends Trubisky tumbling to the ground.  Flowers then tackles Gabriel for a -1 yard loss.

The play was awful because:

1. It put the QB at risk needlessly.

2. It had a greater risk for a turnover/negative play with the bull**** of flipping the ball twice.

3. The play design fooled nobody since Trubisky can run in the first place so naturally he's going to attract the attention of the DE and the secondary.

4. The game situation didn't call for it.

All of this sets up Monty to run on 2nd and 11, and you can imagine how that went. 

Teams know Nagy loves running "trick" plays, so they're on the lookout for trick plays.  If Nagy wants to fool someone, he should try calling a game correctly.  That would surely the other team!

Nagy shouldn't be a head coach in the NFL.

spacer.png

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I can't wait until Nagy installs the old "barking dog" trick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ugh. So much for any confidence of a start AT the Rams next week. I still think Monty is a fine RB2 for the rest of the season (mid in std, low in ppr) but the volatility isn't going away.

What do you all think for his outlook next game?

Edited by aapox

1 minute ago, aapox said:

Ugh. So much for any confidence of a start AT the Rams next week. I still think Monty is a fine RB2 for the rest of the season (mid in std, low in ppr) but the volatility isn't going away.

What do you all think for his outlook next game?

If he gets 10 PPR points, I'd consider it a surprisingly good outcome.

3 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

With Chicago at 4-5 and basically out of playoff contention, I don't see how Nagy survives this season

They really need to win their next 3 against the Rams, Giants, and Lions.  If they can get to 7-5 then they're in the wildcard conversation.  Their last 4 games are pretty brutal though.  Still, if they can win their next 3 very winnable games, then that might be enough to save his job, even if they falter down the stretch.  8-8 is a very realistic final record, and no coach gets fired for going .500.

11 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

no coach gets fired for going .500.

Marty Schott got fired after going 14-2 and losing in the AFC 'chip game 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Also got fired for going exactly .500 for the lowly Redskins. The goalposts are different for this man.

Edited by WaiverLooter
  • Thanks 1

Nagy isn't going anywhere. He'll survive until the middle of next season, minimum. 

Even then, the Bears would have to start 2-6 or so. 

29 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

I knew one of you jerks would cite examples where my .500 statement was wrong...haha.  I think generally I'm right though.

Schott must really piss off his bosses.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I knew one of you jerks would cite examples where my .500 statement was wrong...haha. 

srsly, dood?

::reported::

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I knew one of you jerks would cite examples where my .500 statement was wrong...haha.  I think generally I'm right though.

Schott must really piss off his bosses.

Dean Spanos, who is notoriously cheap actually fired Schottenheimer before his contract was up and had to pay Schottenheimer to sit home.  That's how bad things were.

To make a very long story short, Chargers GM AJ Smith and Marty Schottenheimer didn't get along for various reasons which turned into a huge pissing contest.  The one issue that gets the most attention is Schottenheimer wanting to keep Drew Brees while AJ Smith wanted Phillip Rivers to be their starting Quarterback.  

Recently AJ Smith implied that Marty Schottenheimer leaked the Chargers draft plans to Ernie Accorsi who was GM of the Giants at the time.

Edited by Iron-cock

3 hours ago, K197040 said:

I can't wait until Nagy installs the old "barking dog" trick. 

My team did that in a basketball game once.

It almost worked.

Unfortunately our shooter, wide open from 3, was to busy laughing to actually shoot.

It... was not a good team

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

My team did that in a basketball game once.

It almost worked.

Unfortunately our shooter, wide open from 3, was to busy laughing to actually shoot.

It... was not a good team

LOL.  I'm glad someone knew what I was referencing.

I would sacrifice my whole fantasy season just to see A Rob crouched on the ground on the outside.

Although Nagy is so dumb, he'd probably have one of the O-line do it and get Mitch sacked.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, K197040 said:

LOL.  I'm glad someone knew what I was referencing.

I would sacrifice my whole fantasy season just to see A Rob crouched on the ground on the outside.

Although Nagy is so dumb, he'd probably have one of the O-line do it and get Mitch sacked.

There are videos on YouTube of it.  Also, it’s a pretty popular plot tool in sitcoms that have a “basketball” episode 🤣

Back to Montgomery, I hate that I have to load him up as my RB2 this week due to Henry being on bye.

Unpredictable usage is too much for me.  I thought that game when the fans booed the hell out of team, Nagy would shape up.

It appears I underestimated him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nn4mz said:

Unpredictable usage is too much for me.

He got 17 carries.  How much do you want?  I guess a few targets would have been nice but it's not like they were ignoring him.

3 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

He got 17 carries.  How much do you want?  I guess a few targets would have been nice but it's not like they were ignoring him.

being in on 1st and goal for the 1st play would be nice tho 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I want timely running plays (other than garbage time) and a few receptions (screens) as you have mentioned.

I don’t know if you watched the game, but as everyone is saying: we can all clearly see Nagy slowly returning to his Nagy ways.

56 minutes ago, nn4mz said:

I want timely running plays (other than garbage time) and a few receptions (screens) as you have mentioned.

I don’t know if you watched the game, but as everyone is saying: we can all clearly see Nagy slowly returning to his Nagy ways.

I wasn't watching as I wasn't near a tv but I was on gamecast and it seemed that he was fairly involved.  I started him so my frustration was more about how ineffective he was until the 4th quarter.  It seemed like they were getting stuffed on 1st down and then had to pass (quite often unsuccessfully).  But...if you watched it I'll defer to your opinion.  17 carries is pretty decent though, by any measure.