Sign in to follow this  
SpecialFNK

Nate Lowe 2019 Outlook

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'm sure he had major input so yeah he is responsible too.

I'm sure he had input in what needs he thought the team had, but who they actually went out and got, probably very little. 

What’s this guys projected outlook from now until next year? I still like him but obviously being blocked by numerous guys in TB.  Is Aguilar a short term rental? Is his best case scenario being traded? When could that happen if so? And how likely do you think this will happen? Seeing if anyone has an ear to the ground on this...

He's been tearing it up since he was sent back down.  Last 10 days, including a 4-5, with 1 HR today, .342, 5 BB, 6K, 2 HR.  He seems like he could be one of the top couple players for TB is they gave him a chance.  Are we assuming he's not up until Sept?  What are chances he gets a shot to be starter next year?

48 minutes ago, svdude said:

He's been tearing it up since he was sent back down.  Last 10 days, including a 4-5, with 1 HR today, .342, 5 BB, 6K, 2 HR.  He seems like he could be one of the top couple players for TB is they gave him a chance.  Are we assuming he's not up until Sept?  What are chances he gets a shot to be starter next year?

Honestly, anything and everything on the rays these days is a pain to own.  There’s like 5 closers that take turns, sometimes guys bulk, sometimes guys open, sometimes starters throw 80 pitches only even though they’re cruising, sometimes guys get taken out in the 6th, guys like Lowe get sent down or don’t start back to back.  With yandy Diaz  and Ji man Choi  cluttering  things up to just too much of a hassle for me.  It would have to be a daily league, you’d have to have another 1b taking up a roster spot and hope that he manages to hit well enough to contribute through all of this.

Diaz is likely out for the season, but their love affair with a mediocre Choi and their trade for Aguilar pretty much kills any chance of Lowe getting regular playing time even if they call him up again.  I actually don't think the trade for Aguilar was too bad, but still, Lowe should have been given the everyday role when he came up the second time and was on fire.

Maybe they give Lowe a real shot next season if he tears it up in Spring Training.  If not, then it will likely be another headache since I don't see them getting rid of Choi since he's not an actual Free Agent until 2024.  They are likely the most disorganized "successful" team in all of MLB.

• Like 1

I don't understand how can Choi still be starting... he sucks. Lowe should be playing over Choi hands down.

i'm not 100% certain on this theory, so someone with more intimate knowledge of the rays may set me straight.

choi is OPSing around .800 vRHP, but significantly less vLHP

nate lowe from what i can tell, had easily identifiable worse numbers against against LHP last season in the minors. this season, there's really not a split in the minors. he does bat Left and typically the struggle of splits is against same handed pitching. i.e., in theory, if he had split problems, it would most likely be vLHP, like choi.

aguliar has been pretty much garbage against everyone this season, but for his career he's OPS'd right around .800 vLHP.

my theory is that choi and aguliar are in a rough platoon and the rays were worried that lowe wouldn't make a good platoon partner, so aguliar was brought in a cheap/easy fix. not to mention in the past, aguliar has been pretty good against both LHP and RHP without significant splits, so there's a possibly he improves on his horrible 2019 season and it able to be used in any situation.

Edited by osb_tensor

Cash never gave Lowe a chance to prove that he indeed improved vs. LHP this season.  No matter how hot he was or how bad the pitcher was, Lowe was on the bench during his longest stay in the majors this season.

You are right on the numbers, but overall, Choi is a mediocre player at best and shouldn't be standing in the way of Lowe getting an extended opportunity.  For how smart their organization (and Cash himself) is considered, deep down they really have no idea what they are doing.  Sure, their pitching stats are fantastic as a team, but it won't matter if you can't score runs.  There are other teams in the AL that can do both, and in the end if everything goes the way it should, they will get eaten alive.

Everybody is assuming Lowe will get the call next month, and he probably will, but what has changed to make experts optimistic that things will be any different this time around?  Or at the very least that Lowe will be worth owning?  Choi is still there.

• Thanks 1

He's back...  again.  Starting at DH and batting 8th.  Will he actually play regularly?  Aguilar has been a bust overall (a hollow decent average), so it would be pretty dumb if he didn't, but it's Cash and the Rays.  Tune in on Monday and see if they let him feast on the pitching that sparked his hot streak the last time...

• Thanks 1

Homered already, dude is good. This is a legitimate 30 plus HR bat that the Rays continue to yank around for reasons unknown.

And along with power, he can hit for average and draw walks too. Hopefully the Rays come to their senses and give him the 1b gig next year.

• Like 1

Can someone convince me to draft him next season?  I really want to.

I just do not want to draft him and then deal with the possible shenanigans the Rays use on their players especially when I knew beforehand they might happen.

5 hours ago, Macgregor said:

Forget next season– how do we think his playing time ROS will play out?

No one has a clue. Just have to hope their FO decides they need to stop ******** around and field their best team so the As don’t snipe their wildcard spot. 

In at 1B today, batting 6th. Wondering if he’s worth a shot in weeklies.

Edited by TribeFoo

38 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

In at 1B today, batting 6th. Wondering if he’s worth a shot in weeklies.

Me likey the orioles matchup to start the week, along with a double header mixed in. 

On 9/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, mmcc1029 said:

Me likey the orioles matchup to start the week, along with a double header mixed in. 

Sitting game 1 of the double header.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Sitting for Game 2 as well.  Game 1 was a against a lefty, and as stupid as it is that he doesn't play everyday, I'm willing to let it slide.  Game 2 is against a righty. Absolutely asinine, especially when offense has been their one problem all season.

I truly hope that the Rays get knocked out of the playoffs quickly if they make it.  This may be a bit drastic, but oh well, I'm still going to say that Cash doesn't deserve any success with the way he's handling Nate Lowe.  If Lowe would ever get a real chance, he might actually be their best hitter.  2nd or 3rd best at worst.

• Like 1

Not drastic at all. They have a 30 HR threat that can hit .270 and they’re choosing to bench him. F’em!

Yeah, hard to believe he couldn't even sniff an AB in a doubleheader where the Rays scored a combined total of 4 runs.  Time to cut him I guess?

Out today, as well. Guess he was spotted one 0-fer before permanent benching.

From an interview I read about him being recalled, you can tell that Lowe is not happy at all with his situation in Tampa.  He still says the "right" things, but you can still tell.

I know he can't be traded right now, but I would go to the GM right now and try to demand a trade and guarantee that it will be done once the season is over.  This is one of the worst situations I've witnessed with a player that is clearly better than the players in front of him.  It's one thing to hold a prospect in the minors for service time reasons.  I obviously don't agree with it, but at least there's an unfortunately understandable purpose behind it.  This completely defies logic given that they are fighting to make the playoffs, and their offense is their weakness.  It's as if Lowe slept with Cash's wife (if he's married).

It's a damn shame, not just for us fantasy owners that could really use another solid hitter for the stretch run, but for a player that has done nothing but prove he deserves a shot at regular playing time on a team that could sorely use any sort of offensive boost.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Everyone on this entire team is frustrating to own.

Yarbrough is one fo the few that isn't too bad to own, but even he is at times because their offense gives very little run support.  Suffering through Blake Snell before he imploded was awful too due to the lack of run support.  Their offense being borderline awful makes all of this regarding Nate Lowe even more puzzling.

• Like 1