smeeze

Miles Sanders 2019 Outlook

Top 5 rookie draft pick?

gubQ0ea.png

Speaking in Saturday's post-draft presser, Eagles GM Howie Roseman said the team had been looking for a running back like second-rounder Miles Sanders "for a few years."

The Eagles have been known as a team that likes a wide-ranging committee at running back under coach Doug Pederson, but they have also never invested many resources in the position. 2017 fourth-round gadget player Donnel Pumphrey had been the highest Roseman/Pederson selected a runner. An explosive three-down talent, Sanders could quite easily emerge as the lead dog in the Eagles' 2019 backfield. His presence is bad news for Jordan Howard, Wendell Smallwood, Corey Clement, etc.

Edited by smeeze

Yeah, I think top 5 rookie pick in most formats. I think Montgomery vs. Sanders is an interesting discussion. Sanders is probably the better prospect, but Chicago is the better landing spot, IMO. 

• Like 1

More of a 2020 pick in fantasy than a 2019 pick. He has established guys ahead of him in 2019, assuming they stay healthy, and a fumbling issue to fix.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Chicago is the better landing spot, IMO. 

Somewhere out there, Matt Nagy is laughing at you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

Somewhere out there, Matt Nagy is laughing at you

I'm a Bears fan, and I don't get this at all. 

Nagy was the OC in KC when Hunt was a beast. When he got the job in Chicago, he spent an entire offseason trying to teach Howard how to be a better pass catching back. 

In his first three games in 2018, Howard averaged over 20 touches per game. It quickly became obvious he just didn't have the skillset to be a 3 down back and they phased him out of the passing game. Still, Howard finished the year with 250 carries. 

David Montgomery will step right into that role with the Bears and actually has the skill to catch some balls as well. That means 15 carries per game and probably 3 or 4 targets. Cohen's role won't change from last year, and Davis is simply a depth piece. 

Sanders may prove to be so good he earns just as big of a role, but he won't get that much volume from day one unless the Eagles completely give up on Howard. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2019 at 4:35 PM, ajs723 said:

I'm a Bears fan, and I don't get this at all. 

Nagy was the OC in KC when Hunt was a beast. When he got the job in Chicago, he spent an entire offseason trying to teach Howard how to be a better pass catching back. 

In his first three games in 2018, Howard averaged over 20 touches per game. It quickly became obvious he just didn't have the skillset to be a 3 down back and they phased him out of the passing game. Still, Howard finished the year with 250 carries. 

David Montgomery will step right into that role with the Bears and actually has the skill to catch some balls as well. That means 15 carries per game and probably 3 or 4 targets. Cohen's role won't change from last year, and Davis is simply a depth piece. 

Sanders may prove to be so good he earns just as big of a role, but he won't get that much volume from day one unless the Eagles completely give up on Howard. 

Imo, the eagles, who have struggled with rb injuries, stepped up to grab a solid rb still on a rookie contract for at the very least a one year insurance policy...the rest of the league was asleep at the wheel.

I expect Sanders to get more touches than Howard if he does what they drafted him to do from day one.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, psygolf said:

Imo, the eagles, who have struggled with rb injuries, stepped up to grab a solid rb still on a rookie contract for at the very least a one year insurance policy...the rest of the league was asleep at the wheel.

I expect Sanders to get more touches than Howard if he does what they drafted him to do from day one.

Sanders should absolutely be the 1A, but Howard will be stealing some carries. If Sanders is great (or Howard is bad), he'll likely earn the bellcow role this season, but he probably won't have it from week 1. 

I always thought Sanders was more athlete then RB when watching him, but hes got the tools for major upside. Didnt love this landing spot, but i do think he has the potential to lead this backfield. Howard was actively available via trade and all they could get was a 2020 6th. It may be cheap, but i dont think the investment garauntees Howard anything besides being another peice of this RBBC. 

Overall, i will probably fade the eagles RBS in general. Im sure their price will end up too rich for me to take on the headache.

3 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

I always thought Sanders was more athlete then RB when watching him, but hes got the tools for major upside. Didnt love this landing spot, but i do think he has the potential to lead this backfield. Howard was actively available via trade and all they could get was a 2020 6th. It may be cheap, but i dont think the investment garauntees Howard anything besides being another peice of this RBBC. 

Overall, i will probably fade the eagles RBS in general. Im sure their price will end up too rich for me to take on the headache.

I think Miles Sanders is going to have a suppressed ADP due to overblown concerns about Howard, Clement, Smallwood, Sproles, Josh Adams, etc.  And when Sanders does take over, he could really be a league winner in that offense running behind that line.

12 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think Miles Sanders is going to have a suppressed ADP due to overblown concerns about Howard, Clement, Smallwood, Sproles, Josh Adams, etc.  And when Sanders does take over, he could really be a league winner in that offense running behind that line.

Smallwood and Adams probably don't even make the team. He has Howard, Clement (ACL injury last season), and Sproles ahead of him and that won't be changing. Those 3 are going to be trusted veterans and Duce will lean on them as he has done his entire career as the Eagles' RB coach.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

Smallwood and Adams probably don't even make the team. He has Howard, Clement (ACL injury last season), and Sproles ahead of him and that won't be changing. Those 3 are going to be trusted veterans and Duce will lean on them as he has done his entire career as the Eagles' RB coach.

Ahead of him?? You think a 47 year old Sproles and the UDFA role player Clement are ahead of the 2nd round rookie pick? 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Ahead of him?? You think a 47 year old Sproles and the UDFA role player Clement are ahead of the 2nd round rookie pick? 

Yes. I view Sanders as having a much larger impact in 2020, not 2019.

33 minutes ago, devaster said:

Yes. I view Sanders as having a much larger impact in 2020, not 2019.

I am glad and I hope there are many in my league that think as you do.  Sproles LOL

6 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I am glad and I hope there are many in my league that think as you do.

Sure the $ would be great...but it would be boring as hell.

Seems comparable to Aaron Jones this year...where you hold him for the first 4-5 weeks until he starts to run away with the job. He's the Eagle's new Shady 😲

3 hours ago, 30Burger said:

Seems comparable to Aaron Jones this year...where you hold him for the first 4-5 weeks until he starts to run away with the job. He's the Eagle's new Shady 😲

Highly doubt it takes that long.

Jordan Howard isn't going to be holding him back from seizing the job imo. The only guy that will is Doug Pederson. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/6/2019 at 3:32 PM, 30Burger said:

Huh?  Jones is at worst "1a."  Sanders (at least to start) is probably 1a at best.  Love his potential though. 

I think he meant Aaron Jones 2018 = Miles Sanders 2019.   At least how I took it.  

Absolutely agree he's Philly's best back come week 1.    The possibility of him getting split with others is there, but Pederson might've lived that life only out of necessity the past couple of years.  He simply didn't have a back that deserved anything close to bellcow.   Watching him closely, honestly I think I like him even better than Montgomery for 2019. 

• Like 1

ah OK that makes sense. Yes I like him more than any rookie not named Jacobs. 

I figured to be taking Montgomery with my 2nd pick in my Dynasty draft (assuming Jacobs would be 1st). Worth keeping an eye on. We won't be drafting until late August anyway.

A bit concerning that Sanders has missed so much of OTAs, mini-camp, etc.

Missing time did no favors for Penny or Ronald Jones last year.  Sony Michel missed a bunch of training camp, too, and it took him half a season to get it going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

"A bit concerning that Sanders has missed so much of OTAs, mini-camp, etc. Missing time did no favors for Penny or Ronald Jones last year.  Sony Michel missed a bunch of training camp, too, and it took him half a season to get it going."

Yeah, with a hamstring. Can't say he's those guys, but he is an early-entry with just one year starting. Perhaps he is better than Montgomery, but not his situation, imo. Still, in redraft leagues you really have to like where he's seemingly going to come off. Full pt ppr he's got a weak Times Drafted figure so you may be able to get him as late as the 9th RD. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

A bit concerning that Sanders has missed so much of OTAs, mini-camp, etc.

Missing time did no favors for Penny or Ronald Jones last year.  Sony Michel missed a bunch of training camp, too, and it took him half a season to get it going.

Ha.. I remember drafting Kenbrell Thompkins in my 1st round after he had a huge preseason in 2013.
I passed on Leveon Bell, because he was injured (he missed the first 3 games of the season).

Moral of the story, don't pass up a potentially elite player because of a minor injury -- especially in a dynasty league.

• Like 1