smeeze

Miles Sanders 2019 Outlook

What about the Eagles backfield under Pederson would make anyone think that Sanders will get a majority of the carries!? Even if Sanders beats out Howard (highly unlikely to start the year) he will be part of a timeshare. The Eagles backfield has been spreading out touches for the last couple years.

That's because he didn't have any standout, potential do-it-all bell cow back. He may very well have in Sanders. Hard to say though.

• Like 2

I personally dismiss all the backs they had last year- that run game was poor with all those guys, they're nothing I consider when wondering how carries get shared.   Howard's likely getting a shot at a decent workload, but if that's all Sanders has to beat, i'm in.    Its possible that the plan is to split it up no matter what, but considering Sanders's price right now, he's a steal if they decide he's getting even a 51% share, in an explosive offense.   If he becomes the goal line back, that's all you really need for him to pay dividends

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BrianM said:

If he becomes the goal line back, that's all you really need for him to pay dividends

Nice idea, but Howard is slightly bigger and has a good reputation in the red zone (35 carries for 107 yard and 9 TDs last season, which is top-6).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Nice idea, but Howard is slightly bigger and has a good reputation in the red zone (35 carries for 107 yard and 9 TDs last season, which is top-6).

Yep, that'll be the big what if here.   Sanders not leading the team in touches would actually surprise me, but that won't matter if he's not getting in the end zone much.  

Good point and counter-points all around. If I can't get Sanders on the cheap I'll definitely have an eye on Howard.

14 hours ago, bomont said:

If I can't get Sanders on the cheap I'll definitely have an eye on Howard.

That sentence confused the heck out of me given that Howard should be the RB1 and Sanders the #2, but I see that in auction indeed Sanders is more expensive. In redraft Howard goes a bit earlier than Sanders.

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

That sentence confused the heck out of me given that Howard should be the RB1 and Sanders the #2, but I see that in auction indeed Sanders is more expensive. In redraft Howard goes a bit earlier than Sanders.

What an odd fact.  I guess it is all about potential.

As for Sanders, if he does not get healthy and onto the field soon, my price at will plummet precipitously.

Exactly, even assuming Howard stays as RB1 to start Week 1, I am guessing (at this point) that Sanders shows his stuff and takes over fairly early on. Howard I would aim for at a bye week filler kinda guy and little more. Sanders is more of a stash away and hope for breakout.

A few weeks ago, it was Howard that I felt was a steal at his ADP. However, the buzz about Sanders has been at fever pitch recently. This still might turn into a full fledged RBBC but I like what I have been hearing about Sanders.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/8/5/20754546/eagles-news-miles-sanders-best-running-back-team-isnt-close-philadelphia-penn-state-fantasy-football

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

A few weeks ago, it was Howard that I felt was a steal at his ADP. However, the buzz about Sanders has been at fever pitch recently. This still might turn into a full fledged RBBC but I like what I have been hearing about Sanders.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/8/5/20754546/eagles-news-miles-sanders-best-running-back-team-isnt-close-philadelphia-penn-state-fantasy-football

Both Howard and Sanders have been abuzz at the Eagles camp. I don't see the RBBC ending any time soon.

• Like 2

I like how they keep saying nice things about Howard, hopefully that will depress this kids value. Because he is a great combo of talent meeting a very nice opportunity.

This whole team is "by committe" and why I'm avoiding unless someone comes cheap. RBs, WRs, TEs, it is all a big sharefest. 

• Like 3

I don’t like the situation at all, Jordan Howard has been very durable the last three years, only missing one game, so it’s not like he’s going anywhere and he will get plenty of touches too.

5 hours ago, bomont said:

This whole team is "by committe" and why I'm avoiding unless someone comes cheap. RBs, WRs, TEs, it is all a big sharefest. 

Ertz is definitely not a sharefest, but does come at a considerable pricetag.

10 minutes ago, devaster said:

Ertz is definitely not a sharefest, but does come at a considerable pricetag.

??? He has to share receiving touches with:

• Jeffrey
  • Agholor
  • Jackson
  • Arcega-Whiteside
  • Goedart
  • Howard 
  • Sanders
  • (need I go on...)

2 hours ago, bomont said:

??? He has to share receiving touches with:

• Jeffrey
  • Agholor
  • Jackson
  • Arcega-Whiteside
  • Goedart
  • Howard 
  • Sanders
  • (need I go on...)

I would phrase it more along the lines of Ertz and everyone else in a sharefest. Ertz is in his own tier above that sharefest. He had 156 targets last year and in terms of his role in the offense, nothing has changed. Sure they added Jackson and A-W, but that's to soak up the targets that Tate and Matthews had. Ertz is the go to guy by far,

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, bomont said:

This is exactly it.

I don't want any WR's on this team or any RB's unless I'm getting them really cheap.  

And I'm personally shying away from Ertz also.  He'll probably be okay but I just feel like there are more weapons in that offense than last year so I see regression.  I just don't like spending early picks on TE's for the most part anyways so he's always gone before I'm willing to take him.

As for the RB's....Sanders is easily the most intriguing guy IMO and really the only one I'm looking to get cheap.  I just think Howard is a plodder that offers very little upside in PPR.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

I would phrase it more along the lines of Ertz and everyone else in a sharefest. Ertz is in his own tier above that sharefest. He had 156 targets last year and in terms of his role in the offense, nothing has changed. Sure they added Jackson and A-W, but that's to soak up the targets that Tate and Matthews had. Ertz is the go to guy by far,

They added the two you mentioned plus a pass-catching back in Sanders plus Goedert is (supposedly) on the rise and other RBs who may take away more than last year. I'm not saying  he will fall off a cliff, but it does mean he is overpriced and I do expect a drop in touches 

Edited by bomont

22 hours ago, bomont said:

Good assessment.  A lot of people like this kid a lot, but I’ve got reservations.  Aside from the Pederson factor and never knowing just what his workload will be, he puts the ball on the ground a bunch (wait until NFL D gets after him), he tippy toes too much in the backfield, he isn’t going to outrun a lot of D players, and now he’s come up with multiple various ouchies.  

Those are traits that could easily get him riding the bench and watching a less talented but more decisive RB or a less talented but versatile Clement working in the backfield.  I could easily see coaches get fed up with watching him squander his strengths because his weaknesses bubble to the top.  I hope he does end up being a good NFL RB, but he may have some career derailers in his portfolio.

20 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

So are the Eagles are a RBBC team because of the coach's philosophy, or because of personnel?

Since he has been in Philly his RBs have been guys like Blount/Ajayi/Matthews/Smallwood/Sproles. None have been all that talented. 

In his first year in KC as OC he allowed Charles to get about 2k yards of total offense. In his 2nd yr, Charles had about 1300 yards of total offense and in year 3 Charles tore his ACL.  

So I am not really seeing a coach committed to RBBC, I see a coach that refuses to give average RBs a ton of carries when he has fresher average RBs on his bench. 

If Sanders is an elite RB (and that is a BIG IF), I bet Pederson will ride Sanders. WIth Jordan Howard in the fold, I don't expect Sanders to get a CMC/Barkley/Mixon type workload, but he could get more than enough carries to be a RB1. Again, assuming Sanders is actually really good. 

• Thanks 1

I think Howard and Sanders could end up as the most truly split 50/50 timeshare in the league, but I wouldn't be totally surprised to see either one of those guys runaway with the lead job. A case could be made for both of them to be the lead guy, and that makes it risky to draft either of them.  

That said, I don't really mind the price on either. Both seem to be going in the mid-7th to early 8th round range (more people are probably reaching for Sanders in certain drafts). At that point in the draft I'll be scrambling for backfield depth and I'd be willing to take a risk on a guy who could end leading a committee on a good offense....which again, could be either of them in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 5:53 PM, bomont said:

Doug Pederson seems to agree with your assessment: