smeeze

Miles Sanders 2019 Outlook

Caveat:  I am not a huge Sanders fan and believe that he is probably a low end starting level RB in the NFL, but I do own him as my RB5 because of where he slid in the draft.

If - IF - Sanders is a competent rushing RB, he brings more to the table than Howard due to versatility and the offense’s ability to use him as a receiving weapon out of the backfield.  The offense can do more in terms of opening more of its playbook and creating mismatches.  I don’t know how he’s done in pass protection, but in most of the defined passing downs PHI is going to use Sproles and/or Clement anyhow, so it becomes a question of how much work does he get vs Howard.  

I’d guess they both get opportunities early and the better guy will end up with the bulk of the work.  But Howard is going to have to be decidedly better running the ball because he is not a credible threat as a receiving back.

7 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

OK now I'm nervous... anyone want to talk me off the cliff?

If he earns the workhorse role, he's going to be great.  Or he might just be in a time share and be OK and be a total letdown.  

Maybe even gets hurt and misses a lot of time.

8 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

OK now I'm nervous... anyone want to talk me off the cliff?

If you're worrying about the Howard for Gordon rumor, that's just smart management.  And more of an indictment on Howard.  Gordon would be a big upgrade over Howard.  To try getting him, with Chargers also eating some salary, is a smart ask.  I don't see it indicating anything about Sanders.  Miles is locked in as the COP back, with upside to steal the primary role.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chardo said:

If you're worrying about the Howard for Gordon rumor, that's just smart management.  And more of an indictment on Howard.  Gordon would be a big upgrade over Howard.  To try getting him, with Chargers also eating some salary, is a smart ask.  I don't see it indicating anything about Sanders.  Miles is locked in as the COP back, with upside to steal the primary role.  

Agreed-  as long as we all understand that bringing in a stud back is in no way good for sanders.   With Howard in Philly you figure Miles stands a chance of winning the 1A job by midseason.   Rb2 with arrow ☝️  He’s going to look awfully quick in comparison.   

with MG3 in town you’re just hoping MS has more of a role than Sproles.   

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Agreed-  as long as we all understand that bringing in a stud back is in no way good for sanders.   With Howard in Philly you figure Miles stands a chance of winning the 1A job by midseason.   Rb2 with arrow ☝️  He’s going to look awfully quick in comparison.   

with MG3 in town you’re just hoping MS has more of a role than Sproles.   

But they're not bringing in that stud back.  All this tells me is that they're not thrilled with Howard.  Which is a good thing for Sanders.  

11 minutes ago, Chardo said:

But they're not bringing in that stud back.  All this tells me is that they're not thrilled with Howard.  Which is a good thing for Sanders.  

I don't think it's an indictment of Howard... Philly has a smart GM, he saw an opportunity for a clear upgrade, he shot his shot, it's not going to happen. This news really has no impact on Howard or Sanders at all.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chardo said:

If it was an indication of the team being displeased with Howard, it would have likely included Sanders and their entire RB group in that disappointment. Which wouldn't be good for Sanders. This still very much has the look of a timeshare early in the season. Perhaps Sanders pulls away.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chardo said:

I want to think that but I just think they recognize that Gordon > Howard. That doesn't have to mean they don't like what they have with Howard.

• Like 2

Early role on tap

Coach Doug Pederson said Wednesday that Sanders will have an early role in Philadelphia's offense, Daniel Gallen of The Harrisburg Patriot-News reports.

Analysis: Sanders is sharing a backfield with Jordan Howard, Darren Sproles and Corey Clement. It remains to be seen exactly how touches will be divided between the Eagles' running backs, but Sanders figures to be a significant part of the game plan to begin the season. If the rookie second-round pick makes the most of his opportunities, he could earn an increased workload as the season progresses.

Edited by weakkneeswilly
  • Like 5

The trade rumor is definitely interesting. 

1- Could just be the eagles being a smart organization and seeing a chance to upgrade from the plodding Howard. 

2- Could be that they aren't that thrilled with their RB group in general. As a Sanders truther, it's a little concerning that they would entertain this move if they watched Sanders in camp and saw the next Zeke/Bell/Cook/Chubb. You don't normally see teams with elite RBs going out and trading for high priced RBs. 

All in all, I think this was just a smart franchise on the cusp of making a run with a QB they have on the cheap and figuring it was worth a shot to improve the overall talent of their team (going from Howard to Gordon). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Early role on tap

Coach Doug Pederson said Wednesday that Sanders will have an early role in Philadelphia's offense, Daniel Gallen of The Harrisburg Patriot-News reports.

Analysis: Sanders is sharing a backfield with Jordan Howard, Darren Sproles and Corey Clement. It remains to be seen exactly how touches will be divided between the Eagles' running backs, but Sanders figures to be a significant part of the game plan to begin the season. If the rookie second-round pick makes the most of his opportunities, he could earn an increased workload as the season progresses.

I envision Sproles returning punts, and maybe getting a few snaps on offense.  Clement will be inactive.  Teams don't dress 4 RBs.  This backfield belongs to Howard and Sanders.  The split is up to them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chardo said:

I envision Sproles returning punts, and maybe getting a few snaps on offense.  Clement will be inactive.  Teams don't dress 4 RBs.  This backfield belongs to Howard and Sanders.  The split is up to them.  

well said ... and it won't be long 'til the bloom wilts off the JoHo rose ... give it roughly 6 qtrs of tackle foosball. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, herschel said:

Anyone concerned about the Howard for Gordon swap rumors?

no. they're rumors.

15 minutes ago, herschel said:

Only if it happens.  And if it happens, expect Sanders to basically be on mothballs this season.  Still an interesting dynasty asset, but you'll get nothing out of him this year if Gordon is traded to Philly.

20 minutes ago, herschel said:

I'm concerned, but I don't imagine this happening once the season starts, at least not if Miles is playing well. Any other precedent on trades you guys can remember midseason for RBs? Carlos Hyde the only one I can recall ATM

Howie is one of the best in the biz. Maybe they love Sanders and believe he can carry the load. Why not jettison Howard and pick up Gordon?  Doesn’t mean they have to pay him. If they believe in Sanders, they can just sit on Gordon until he shows up for the super bowl run. And then they get a third round compensatory when he signs elsewhere. Eagles live the compensatory game. 

5 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

I'm concerned, but I don't imagine this happening once the season starts, at least not if Miles is playing well. Any other precedent on trades you guys can remember midseason for RBs? Carlos Hyde the only one I can recall ATM

Ajayi comes to mind. 

19 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

TRich

The Eagles are just a smart, analytical team.  They explore all trades that can help the team as every team should.  In my opinion, this move just shows that they are focused on and prioritizing their efforts in building a strong running game that will protect Wentz.  I have to agree they probably view Gordon as an upgrade over Howard and nothing else.  If they got Gordon they likely would evaluate him versus Miles and go from there.

Edited by skye2388
  • Like 3

Owning Miles Sanders is going to be very frustrating this year, IMO.  I think he's going to run circles around the other backs and we'll all be clamoring for him to get a full load, but the staff won't do it.