oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Recommended Posts

I have zero faith in Robles. He falls off the mound when he pitches and has no clue where his pitches will end up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angels kinda suck. So you are gonna have to get used to this non save situation usage. No excuse for his implosion. There is a reason the Mets fans in here cringe at the idea of Robles being a closer.

It goes from zero to 100 super quick because the fastball is really his only money pitch and the command of it is not that great. Slider is kinda there to keep hitters honest. Its not really as good as you expect for a back end RP slider. Plenty of RP get away with sub par command when they have 2 money pitches. Its a bit different when you don't.

People talk about RP changing..but i really haven't see Robles do anything different then last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wallscrapers said:

I have zero faith in Robles. He falls off the mound when he pitches and has no clue where his pitches will end up.

 

Hence why I have been buying Buttrey hard for 2 weeks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Magoo said:

Buttrey is so far and away the superior arm in that bullpen. 

Agree, but that doesn’t always get you the closer job

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Dare I say Cody Allen will be back next week, does he get closer gig back?

I think he will get a shot to keep the job.  It's Ausmus' m.o. to be loyal to his closer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dicka24 said:

I think he will get a shot to keep the job.  It's Ausmus' m.o. to be loyal to his closer.

Then why did he yank Allen from the role?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackson allowed one hit with two strikeouts in his second save of the year during a 3-1 extra-inning victory against the Marlins on Sunday.

Spin: The Braves' closer role remains in flux since A.J. Minter blew a save April 27. In three save situations since then, the Braves have turned to Jackson twice and Jacob Webb once. Since giving up four runs in his season debut, Jackson has pitched 15 straight scoreless innings. He'll likely become the Braves' regular closer if he continues this streak any longer. Jackson owns a 2.25 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 19 strikeouts in 16 frames this year.
 
 
Pretty solid scoreless inning streak, anyone think minter gets another crack at it or does Jackson run away with it if he keeps performing, id guess jackson keeps it and is the guy to own moving forward until he falters a couple times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Then why did he yank Allen from the role?

Rhetorical question? He couldn’t get anyone out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Jackson allowed one hit with two strikeouts in his second save of the year during a 3-1 extra-inning victory against the Marlins on Sunday.

Spin: The Braves' closer role remains in flux since A.J. Minter blew a save April 27. In three save situations since then, the Braves have turned to Jackson twice and Jacob Webb once. Since giving up four runs in his season debut, Jackson has pitched 15 straight scoreless innings. He'll likely become the Braves' regular closer if he continues this streak any longer. Jackson owns a 2.25 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 19 strikeouts in 16 frames this year.
 
 
Pretty solid scoreless inning streak, anyone think minter gets another crack at it or does Jackson run away with it if he keeps performing, id guess jackson keeps it and is the guy to own moving forward until he falters a couple times

Yeah I believe Jackson was unavailable the night Webb got the S too? He is likely the preferred option here now...

Yesterday the FB sat over 96 MPH and had some devastating vertical action to it...SL was solid and sat 89 MPH with 2 whiffs, spun up 1 CU with decent shape too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah I believe Jackson was unavailable the night Webb got the S too? He is likely the preferred option here now...

Yesterday the FB sat over 96 MPH and had some devastating vertical action to it...SL was solid and sat 89 MPH with 2 whiffs, spun up 1 CU with decent shape too.

 

Yea Jackson had pitched the two games previous when webb got his Save, in which case seems pretty straight forward for this bullpen ATM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Then why did he yank Allen from the role?

I need to believe he started sucking because his back started giving him problems. He was perfect his first five appearances. Recapture the magic Cody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Then why did he yank Allen from the role?

Same reason Texas yanked Leclerc, or the Rockies yanked Davis for a brief moment last year IIRC. The player is struggling.   There are lots of examples where a team has given their closer a break, only to go back to them later.  Sometimes it works out and the player is back to normal, sometimes it doesn't cuz the player is cooked. If Allen's velo is back this week upon his return and he's throwing well in the managers eyes it wouldn't surprise me if he's given a save chance. How it goes is anyone's guess of course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Same reason Texas yanked Leclerc, or the Rockies yanked Davis for a brief moment last year IIRC. The player is struggling.   There are lots of examples where a team has given their closer a break, only to go back to them later.  Sometimes it works out and the player is back to normal, sometimes it doesn't cuz the player is cooked. If Allen's velo is back this week upon his return and he's throwing well in the managers eyes it wouldn't surprise me if he's given a save chance. How it goes is anyone's guess of course. 

 

I would say this is Allen's biggest issue. Last year, he struggled with a velocity decline. That has continued this year. Typically, when closers struggle and get their jobs back, its due to control/command. For Allen, the comparison you hope applies is Greg Holland who has learned to be effective with diminished stuff. That said, Holland was coming from a higher level of starting point stuff than Allen, so Allen's loses probably are harder to overcome.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

Jackson allowed one hit with two strikeouts in his second save of the year during a 3-1 extra-inning victory against the Marlins on Sunday.

Spin: The Braves' closer role remains in flux since A.J. Minter blew a save April 27. In three save situations since then, the Braves have turned to Jackson twice and Jacob Webb once. Since giving up four runs in his season debut, Jackson has pitched 15 straight scoreless innings. He'll likely become the Braves' regular closer if he continues this streak any longer. Jackson owns a 2.25 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 19 strikeouts in 16 frames this year.
 
 
Pretty solid scoreless inning streak, anyone think minter gets another crack at it or does Jackson run away with it if he keeps performing, id guess jackson keeps it and is the guy to own moving forward until he falters a couple times

 

I think it's a committee at this point, Minter if lots of lefties due up, and Jackson righties. Jackson's save came against 4 righties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

 

I think it's a committee at this point, Minter if lots of lefties due up, and Jackson righties. Jackson's save came against 4 righties.

 

It probably is. They already wanted to mix and match with Vizcaino/Minter. Idk why that would change with Viz out

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

 

I think it's a committee at this point, Minter if lots of lefties due up, and Jackson righties. Jackson's save came against 4 righties.

 

and his save before that one

 

Minter comes into a 1 run game.......leadoff  lefty, gives up single (Blackmon) then Story gets another hit......enter Jackson who then gets Arenado to Fly out, and Dahl a lefty to ground out back to him

 

id bet on jackson fairly confidently moving forward as you dont see many Lefties in a row anyway in todays game, obv if minter strings some good outings together he could get some opps but jackson hasnt allowed a run since opening day, why throw minter back into the mix when hes been largely ineffective 

Edited by kmoore1521

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the Reds game, broadcast team just said about Iglesias:
"according to David Bell, there is no plan to have anyone else to close in the foreseeable future for the Reds"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is Luke Jackson pitching differently? he has 72.5 GB%, and he has never had anything really close to that before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

is Luke Jackson pitching differently? he has 72.5 GB%, and he has never had anything really close to that before.

 

Hes throwing a ton of sliders now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JCD said:

Watching the Reds game, broadcast team just said about Iglesias:
"according to David Bell, there is no plan to have anyone else to close in the foreseeable future for the Reds"

 

Which is kind of a strange thing to say because before the season he said “I think a lot of times it's going to be in that closing role, but I just don't want to limit him,” Bell said of Iglesias. “He's too important to our team, too important to our bullpen where we want him to have as much personal success and be as comfortable as he possibly can, but the priority is going to be to win games.” (https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2019/02/15/cincinnati-reds-pitcher-raisel-iglesias-role-bullpen-alex-wood/2879755002/)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iglesias seemed to pitch better in that fireman role.  He gets lit up again this week and suddenly there will be a plan for the future.  Maybe Bell can’t see that far ahead.  

 

 

Edited by kidtwentytwo
No idea why the font changed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luke Jackson’s career stats say that he’s the master of the free pass.  I’m talking 2011 to 2018.  He’s all about the base on balls.  Yeah, I’m a disgruntled Minter owner, but Jackson is available in my league and I have absolutely no plans of snatching him up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Luke Jackson’s career stats say that he’s the master of the free pass.  I’m talking 2011 to 2018.  He’s all about the base on balls.  Yeah, I’m a disgruntled Minter owner, but Jackson is available in my league and I have absolutely no plans of snatching him up.

I am a former Minter owner. He is an FA in my league now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Luke Jackson’s career stats say that he’s the master of the free pass.  I’m talking 2011 to 2018.  He’s all about the base on balls.  Yeah, I’m a disgruntled Minter owner, but Jackson is available in my league and I have absolutely no plans of snatching him up.

 

eve if someone has no interest of using a certain reliever, one could still add that reliever. if Luke Jackson continues to have success one could sell high to other owners desperate for saves. just keep him on the bench and he can't hurt you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.