oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

7 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Agree, but that doesn’t always get you the closer job

Barnes is the best arm in Boston’s pen and he’s not getting saves , or wasn’t.

Maybe the Reds will listen to their guy (Iglesias)?

Not because he's demanding anything, but because he's being honest about the situation and how it's working for him (not working for him). As a manager, why would you force a player to do something he's not comfortable with (and obviously not successful with)? 

"The way they are using me is horribly wrong," he said. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2019/05/06/cincinnati-reds-raisel-iglesias-upset-use-non-save-situations-jose-peraza-scooter-gennett-mlb/1117685001/

• Like 4

For those targeting Yates (trade or what not) in redraft...

Any season long concerns (e.g. being traded into a set up role, etc.)?

After a couple blips on the radar I'm going to try and trade for him...csb

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

For those targeting Yates (trade or what not) in redraft...

Any season long concerns (e.g. being traded into a set up role, etc.)?

After a couple blips on the radar I'm going to try and trade for him...csb

Think the padres will be in the race for the division, if that is true, no way they deal him

• Like 1

Big Mychal givens on the world class Baltimore Orioles with 3 saves in the last week, 3 more than Osuna has in the last 3 weeks combined. Closers in 2019 man. Gotta love it 

Strop blows it in pathetic fashion versus the Marlins

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Strop blows it in pathetic fashion versus the Marlins

Yeah...that’s was awful.  Hoping it’s only 1 more run somas to not destroy my ratios.

5 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Not because he's demanding anything, but because he's being honest about the situation and how it's working for him (not working for him). As a manager, why would you force a player to do something he's not comfortable with (and obviously not successful with)? 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2019/05/06/cincinnati-reds-raisel-iglesias-upset-use-non-save-situations-jose-peraza-scooter-gennett-mlb/1117685001/

Excuses aside, in my 30 plus years of watching baseball I have never seen a manager singlehandedly cause more losses than Bell. The drinking bird could do better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

He's complaining after the fact.  If he didn't have all those losses he wouldn't be saying this.  I just lose respect for pitchers who say this kind of stuff.    What's the difference if you are in there in a one run lead or a tied game situation??  These are winnable games that you are being entrusted with to deliver in.  It's not like he's being asked to pitch in games that are out of hand.  If he was only used in save situations and had some blowups he would complain that he wasn't being used enough.  Man, bitching about this is just plainly ridiculous in my opinion...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 3

I've ignored the whole Brewers situation all year but am I in the minority thinking Jeffress will be closing sooner rather than later?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

I've ignored the whole Brewers situation all year but am I in the minority thinking Jeffress will be closing sooner rather than later?

Yes...It is just you who thinks Jeffries will close. I find your lack of faith in darth Hader disturbing. 

Edited by Dr. Whom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

He'll get a piece of the closer's role if he proves effective.  Brewers definitely want someone to support Hader in that role in order to free him up for both fireman and closing duties...

7 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

He'll get a piece of the closer's role if he proves effective.  Brewers definitely want someone to support Hader in that role in order to free him up for both fireman and closing duties...

Unfortunately it looks like Guerra is the one with that job right now...

2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Unfortunately it looks like Guerra is the one with that job right now...

He'll probably get a few more shots as well.  I am not a believer in him though (low k with not so great bb rates) and think he's been lucky with only 8 hits given up in 20 innings.   I haven't looked it up but I am guessing his babip against him is pretty low.   I think regression is coming there soon...

2 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

Jeffress averaged 95 MPH last night...that has been slowly creeping upwards and it has tons of action on it...that will work (even if he does not go up any further) because the curve looks really good right now and the sinker along with splitter are showing well too. Guerra also looks very good, but no doubt Council is regaining major trust in JJ.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Yes...It is just you who thinks Jeffries will close. I find your lack of faith in darth Hader disturbing. 

It's less a lack of faith in Hader than speculating on the best division of labor in that pen. Hader can give you multiple innings at an elite level. Jeffress, if he returns to form after injury, can be great but probably only for 1 inning at a time. A lot of bullpens that move players around a lot and use their best guy in a non closing role I think are just getting too cute, but at least in theory I get it with the Brewers. 

2 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

A bunch of us have been speculating a similar set up to the 2nd half of last season where Jeffress was the lead closer, and Hader the multi-inning fireman, who also got some saves.  I've been holding Jeffress for a few weeks now in anticipation of him having the bulk side of the closer role at some point.  With his velo up to 95mph that could be soon.

In the 2nd half last season Jeffress had 12 saves and Hader 5.  I could see something similar to that should Jeffress get a shot at closing again and pitch well.

Romo with another save. HR allowed to Bryant but struck out the side.

my question is his leash- does anyone know mattinglys tendencies? Part of me feels like he’s the kinda manager that wants his pitchers to be aggressive and give up the HR and as long as you get the save you get the save.

but I’m worried these runs allowed saves will count against him.

that said I’m sure the organization will push the team to close him until July and deal him based on the saves. But I want others opinions too. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

1 hour ago, knuckleheads said:

I imagine we’ll be hearing this outdated take through September. 

• Like 1

It seems that Guerra is now the Hader compliment when he needs rest.

32 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I imagine we’ll be hearing this outdated take through September. 

Outdated thinking is using your best ace reliever only in 9th inning save situations...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

He's complaining after the fact.  If he didn't have all those losses he wouldn't be saying this.  I just lose respect for pitchers who say this kind of stuff.    What's the difference if you are in there in a one run lead or a tied game situation??  These are winnable games that you are being entrusted with to deliver in.  It's not like he's being asked to pitch in games that are out of hand.  If he was only used in save situations and had some blowups he would complain that he wasn't being used enough.  Man, bitching about this is just plainly ridiculous in my opinion...

but...but....my fantasy team!

I totally get you there. At the same time if a player thrives in a certain role, as a coach shouldn't you do what's best for the team? As an analogy, hypothetically if Votto sucks at leading off and says so himself, why keep plugging him in at lead off? That's I guess where I was going with my Iglesias post. And ultimately I just need some damn saves! ;) 

3 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Outdated thinking is using your best ace reliever only in 9th inning save situations...

I didn’t say thinking I said take. Group think has speculated all year that the Brewers would utilize Hader exactly like last year as soon as Jeffress came back. It’s simply not reality whether you agree with the baseball logic or not.