oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

3 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Is Strop worth stashing? Going to be out 3-4 weeks and there are plenty of options in the bullpen. 

Considering that they do have other options (KINTZLER), and the possibility they add another arm through trade or FA, I wouldn't go out of your way to stash. If you have the IL spot fine, but if not then I'm not sure it's worth it. 

I took Smith fully expecting a half season worth of saves, but with the way he is throwing combined with the struggles at closer for some contending teams I think there is a good chance that he may be able to close once dealt if it is somewhere like Chi, Bos, ATL.

Also since Bochy still uses closers traditionally I would hawk the Giants once Smith is dealt. I think it would be Moronta but I could see them going back to Melancon (can't believe I am saying it) since he has pitched decently and keeping Moronta for high leverage situations .

• Like 3

There was an article around April 20th that mentioned Bochy wanting to get Melancon some save chances. 

17 minutes ago, nlm said:

There was an article around April 20th that mentioned Bochy wanting to get Melancon some save chances. 

might grab Melancon soon and stash with a Smith trade looming.

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

smith trade looming?...like how greene was going to be dealt at the deadline last year in motown

hard to do if you have limited roster spots like some leagues do, especially since nothing is a sure thing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I get the history Melancon has as a closer, but since the Giants are in definite rebuilding mode why wouldn't they get Moronta some experience in that role?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

smith trade looming?...like how greene was going to be dealt at the deadline last year in motown

hard to do if you have limited roster spots like some leagues do, especially since nothing is a sure thing

it's a gamble, not a sure thing. never said I felt confident in it ;)

1 minute ago, jseay65 said:

I get the history Melancon has as a closer, but since the Giants are in definite rebuilding mode why wouldn't they get Moronta some experience in that role?

don't ask me, ask the manager who already came out and said Melancon could get save chances in the future.

11 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

They may still want to try and save some face for that ridiculous contract they signed him to. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

don't ask me, ask the manager who already came out and said Melancon could get save chances in the future.

Since that statement on April 19, Melancon has given up 3 runs over 3 appearances. Crazier things have happened though. 

7 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

They may still want to try and save some face for that ridiculous contract they signed him to. 

This is my thinking as well. I guess it will come down to how well Melancon is pitching at the time of any potential trade. Or maybe not.

1 hour ago, jseay65 said:

Because the Giants don’t do anything that makes sense. I hope they deal the entire squad and start over. 

Bruce has never been a manger that does anything based on metrics. Once he’s gone I guarantee they start to moneyball when he’s gone.  

Edited by Stickfig13
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

If you payed attention to his usage, you'd know that he has a valid point about being used in tie games. Mainly the other day when he was brought in the 8th of a tie game on the road to face the 7-8-9 hitters of the vaunted Mets offense. Tell me what other closer is being used in that situation

He went multiple innings that game, so he also stayed in to face the top of the order.  And I have a hard time bagging on a manager regarding usage when a RP goes 2 shutout innings and the team wins the game.  If he's complaining about winning that game, then his attitude sucks.

5 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

If you're not feeling 100%, maybe because you threw an unnecessary inning or two a couple of days ago, how are you going to do?  

The poor performance wasn't against those 7-8-9 hitters in that game, Gave up a double, IBB another guy. No runs allowed in that inning. He ended up going 2 innings overall and the Reds even ended up winning that game and he got the W. Still.... a W in the game doesn't excuse the manager's ineptness displayed while getting there and the misuse (and it was misuse) in that game was likely what  he feels impacted him down the road which is what likely lead to the complaint. 

If what you're saying is how he feels, then it sounds to me like he's wanting to be used in such particular circumstances that he's not really that valuable of a pitcher.

Only wants to pitch the 9th.  Only when the team is ahead.  Only when it's the top of the order.

Again, does this guy want to pitch like 30 innings this year?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Shawn Kelley to DL.

Leclerc back to ruin people's lives??

Or Martin time?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Treehugger said:

No closer choice for the cubs. M.Montgomery left in for the 5 inning win/save?

Keep in mind Chisek has gone in the last 4/5 and Kintzler the last 3/5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Shawn Kelley to DL.

Leclerc back to ruin people's lives??

A non pitching related infection? Someone please correct me if im wrong,but that doesnt sound like an overly long term thing.  Id prefer to know more before i make a drop.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

A non pitching related infection? Someone please correct me if im wrong,but that doesnt sound like an overly long term thing.  Id prefer to know more before i make a drop.

By the time he comes off IL the closer job may very well be reCLaimed by LeClerc.  I’m picking up Martin for the short term in leagues where I have someone to drop. 

Glad to see ESPN can post the blurb that Kelley got put on the IL but can't actually designate him that so I had to drop so I could add Martin quickly.  Hope I can get him back 😕

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Could be anywhere from 10 days to the rest of the year. Leonys Martin had a life threatening infection last season. Or it could be a cold. Need more details before making a decision.

• Thanks 2

Iglesias on for the save in the 9th, just as he requested. Annnnd, in trouble. 2 on, 2 out. Lucky Morales was the runner or it would've been a run scored.

Edited by Members_Only_76