oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

12 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

So Cishek is just part of like a 4 man committee?

not worth the hassle

1 minute ago, CharlesHustle said:

not worth the hassle

If you have the room and are chasing saves, I think you pick up a guy like Kintzler, who's been pitching surprisingly well and has had an extreme jump in K/9...or Edwards, who has a good history and has looked good since coming off the IL...or hang with Cishek. 

32 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

Ummm. No. Not part of the "entire pen" that would be traded. Pitching Panda is no doubt about of their future build and IMO the closer in July. I would think Smith & Watson for sure, they would obviously hope someone would take on Melancon too. I also am not the only one with this opinion. 

https://aroundthefoghorn.com/2019/05/08/san-francisco-giants-3/

I’m saying Melancon will be the last man standing between the closer options. He’s getting paid a ton to be a closer and the Giants aren’t playing for anything. 

If you think Reyes Moronta is the future in SF then we have more problems than I thought. Him and his 5 walks per 9 don’t excite me. In fact, it’s awful. 

13 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

I’m saying Melancon will be the last man standing between the closer options. He’s getting paid a ton to be a closer and the Giants aren’t playing for anything. 

If you think Reyes Moronta is the future in SF then we have more problems than I thought. Him and his 5 walks per 9 don’t excite me. In fact, it’s awful. 

I guess I misunderstood your point, lol. My apologies to everyone. 

54 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

Ummm. No. Not part of the "entire pen" that would be traded. Pitching Panda is no doubt about of their future build and IMO the closer in July. I would think Smith & Watson for sure, they would obviously hope someone would take on Melancon too. I also am not the only one with this opinion. 

https://aroundthefoghorn.com/2019/05/08/san-francisco-giants-3/

I don't know much about the Pitching Panda, but I do know his numbers are so good that he's the highest ranking pitcher on my waiver wire. Of course that fluctuates daily, but anybody know if he'll start pitching in more high leverage situations?

Kinda expect minter to get DL’ed or sent down soon.  He’s unusable right now.  

Jackson probably leads a committee of less than desirable options.  

Everyone seems to have seen this coming except the Braves front office... who continues to do next to nothing other than call up the next schlub from AAA.

Sooner or later they’ll be out of the race and it won’t matter if they have kimbrel

FYI was listening to MLB Radio and they were interviewing Brad Ausmus. He was asked (vaguely) about the importance of getting Allen back to the bullpen. His response, I’m paraphrasing, was something to the affect of “We are a better team with him as closer. We want him to pitch in a few more lower leverage situations but if he can get the velocity back, he still has that nasty curve to get guys out.”

It wasn’t just “Getting him back in our bullpen will help tremendously.” He sounded like he really wants him to close. 

I’m not suggesting velocity will come back. I’m not suggesting Allen will be good if he gets the job back. But it sure sounded like his manager really wants him to and if he has some success, may get thrown back in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

^^ 

Good stuff, but I feel he also gave himself an out by implying Allen isn't getting another chance until the velocity returns. I personally don't see that happening any time soon, if ever.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

Lol okay guy.. then I “guess we have more problems” because that’s exactly what I’m saying. My bet is by at least July 31st and on.. Moronta is the closing and is the most valuable RP on that staff by a wide margin, Melancon still being on the team even included. Hence why I posted the pic. I watch him a ton, like I’m assuming you do with your SF logo, and I think he’s got some of the better stuff across all relievers, walks or not. 

If you want to continue “your problems” hit me up DM because I’m not continuing this on the specific board because I follow this too closely to clog it up anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

FYI was listening to MLB Radio and they were interviewing Brad Ausmus. He was asked (vaguely) about the importance of getting Allen back to the bullpen. His response, I’m paraphrasing, was something to the affect of “We are a better team with him as closer. We want him to pitch in a few more lower leverage situations but if he can get the velocity back, he still has that nasty curve to get guys out.”.

cody allen velo.jpg

• Like 3

Chris Martin is probably worthy of a pickup in most leagues. Leclerc looked bad again yesterday,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LarryDavid said:

Lol okay guy.. then I “guess we have more problems” because that’s exactly what I’m saying. My bet is by at least July 31st and on.. Moronta is the closing and is the most valuable RP on that staff by a wide margin, Melancon still being on the team even included. Hence why I posted the pic. I watch him a ton, like I’m assuming you do with your SF logo, and I think he’s got some of the better stuff across all relievers, walks or not. 

If you want to continue “your problems” hit me up DM because I’m not continuing this on the specific board because I follow this too closely to clog it up anymore. 

You have your opinion and I have mine. I’m not sure why you have to be so agro about it. 

Frankly, I could care less who closes for a team that will finish in last place because of their decisions. We all know Moronta is the future of nothing. Maybe you fee different. That’s okay. 

Cody Allen in the game bottom 9 up by 5. Tough play for Simmons gets a runner on board. 

Will keep you posted ;)

edit, then gets a check swing K and a fly out. 2 down.

edit 2, walked Chris Davis, 2 aboard...repeat, he walked Chris Davis.

last edit, swinging K  gets Nunez to end the game. (saw Buttrey warming)

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 2

Newcomb in for the 8th up one - I wonder if this is a new closer experiment in progress

26 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Newcomb in for the 8th up one - I wonder if this is a new closer experiment in progress

Added, but Jackson looked really good just now. First time watching him pitch but the command looked great.

luke jackson locks down the save.  was firing heat and mixing in sliders.  good bounce back after last nite and with minter sent down, its lookin good for jackson owners right now.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

A lot of top relievers have high walk rates. It’s not that big of a deal when you strike out almost 2 batters per inning. Moronta’s numbers right now are similar to Aroldis Chapman’s last year.

His ERA and FIP are both under 2 for good reason. His slider is nearly unhittable and his fastball flirts with triple digits. He’s one of the most exciting relievers in the game and absolutely a stud closer in the making.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

Both guys are pretty unappealing as closer options.   Moronta obviously has potentional though but walks way too many to be effective right now.  If he can control that then he'd be interesting to say the least.  Not yet though.  However, I don't even know why Melancon is even being speculated on with a K rate under 7 and a walk rate above 4.   That won't cut it anywhere except for mop up duties.  I get that Melancon might be next in line because the manager appears to want that but there's simply no upside with him any longer.    

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

A lot of top relievers have high walk rates. It’s not that big of a deal when you strike out almost 2 batters per inning. Moronta’s numbers right now are similar to Aroldis Chapman’s last year.

His ERA and FIP are both under 2 for good reason. His slider is nearly unhittable and his fastball flirts with triple digits. He’s one of the most exciting relievers in the game and absolutely a stud closer in the making.

It's an interesting comparison to Chapman (Kimbrel is another one) but those kinds of walk rates have to be considered outliers for the vast majority of successful closers.   Is this guy in their class of dominating pitchers?   It's a lot to be asking...

1 hour ago, knuckleheads said:

It's an interesting comparison to Chapman (Kimbrel is another one) but those kinds of walk rates have to be considered outliers for the vast majority of successful closers.   Is this guy in their class of dominating pitchers?   It's a lot to be asking...

Moronta has 30 K's in just 16 innings.  That stat looks pretty dominating to me.  And maybe he walks a few but he strikes out more.  Like his K/BB isn't great but it is better than Jose Alvarado's or John Gant's.  And what do the Giants have to lose giving him a shot to maybe increase his value in a deadline trade.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory