Rotoworld.com Forums

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Moronta has 30 K's in just 16 innings.  That stat looks pretty dominating to me.  And maybe he walks a few but he strikes out more.  Like his K/BB isn't great but it is better than Jose Alvarado's or John Gant's.  And what do the Giants have to lose giving him a shot to maybe increase his value in a deadline trade.

I say sure he's worth a shot.  However, look at what just happened recently to Nick Anderson who up until a few games ago had the best K rate in the league, plus a decent walk rate and got whacked good.  Also Nick Burdi from Pittsburgh also had a better K rate, lower walk rate and got wacked a couple of times as well.  I think those are the more likely outcomes when guys can't keep the free passes off the bases.  Maybe Alvarado's high walk rate is the reason he's not closing as much any more and John Gant seems to be high on everyone's list as a regression candidate.   We'll see...

Moranta is plenty good with lots of potential to close games some day but I doubt he manages as well as Chapman did with those walk numbers...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BOS - Barnes ATM but def fluid with Brasier, id roster barnes over brasier if i had to pick rn, neither have me excited or confident MIN - Its Parker for lions share with Rodgers getting the left

What do you say to the God of Blown Saves?    Not Today (unless you’re Jose Leclerc)

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Cody Allen in the game bottom 9 up by 5. Tough play for Simmons gets a runner on board. 

Will keep you posted ;)

edit, then gets a check swing K and a fly out. 2 down.

edit 2, walked Chris Davis, 2 aboard...repeat, he walked Chris Davis.

last edit, swinging K  gets Nunez to end the game. (saw Buttrey warming)

buttery would have come in for the save?

25 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

So is the Trivino experiment over, Treinen looks back to full

I think so. Still a good P and might be worth holding for ratio help, but Treinen pitched 2 innings twice this week. Pretty telling, as it seems there’s no elbow concerns.

20 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Results are results.....

Still cannot help but think Webb looks better than Jackson in ATL, thoughts?

Well Jackson has looked pretty good, the manager went back to him last night and Webb didn’t even pitch in a close game they were winning. So it seems it’s pretty clear, as of now.

• Like 1

Is Brasier officially out as the Boston closer? Big Bat Theory?  Minter missed ST and is behind the 8 Ball. Minter is also young. I could see Minter getting things worked out in AAA, and coming back up, and pitching better. Can he get the closers job back from Jackson though? Knowing my luck he will, and then ATL will sign Kimbrel.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:35 AM, Trexpenniebaker said:

So a closer asked to protect a tie game in the 9th inning gives up a HR  and had 2 crap outings before that is nothing to be concerned about?

It is what is with Holland.  You knew before the year that he was not going to post good ratios this year, and 10 innings in April should not have changed those expectations.  What Holland does have going for him is that Lovullo has historically given his closer a ton of leash.  In 2017, Rodney lasted the full year with a 4.19 ERA and last year, Boxberger lasted until mid-September with a 4.39 ERA.  So despite his struggles recently, I don't think Holland is in any major jeopardy of losing his closer's role yet.

I look at Holland now the same way I looked at him one week ago and the same way I looked at him prior to the start of the season:  Holland is someone who probably going to hurt your team in ERA and WHIP and the only reason he's worth owning is for the saves (and the job security Lovullo gives his closers historically).

17 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

FYI was listening to MLB Radio and they were interviewing Brad Ausmus. He was asked (vaguely) about the importance of getting Allen back to the bullpen. His response, I’m paraphrasing, was something to the affect of “We are a better team with him as closer. We want him to pitch in a few more lower leverage situations but if he can get the velocity back, he still has that nasty curve to get guys out.”

It wasn’t just “Getting him back in our bullpen will help tremendously.” He sounded like he really wants him to close. 

I’m not suggesting velocity will come back. I’m not suggesting Allen will be good if he gets the job back. But it sure sounded like his manager really wants him to and if he has some success, may get thrown back in.

Thing is what is he going to say ? He's garbage? He's toast ? Asmus has to deal with this stuff gently. Allen will be released if they can't trade him. His days as the Angel closer are over. Or anybodys closer for that matter.

13 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Thing is what is he going to say ? He's garbage? He's toast ? Asmus has to deal with this stuff gently. Allen will be released if they can't trade him. His days as the Angel closer are over. Or anybodys closer for that matter.

Yeah I get it. I think it was kinda open to say, “He’s an important part of our bullpen and we’re a better team when he’s healthy.” That would’ve been easy. My ears perked up when he took it right to closer. I just thought it was telling.

• Like 1

I don't understand.   Why is Chris Martin only owned in 28% of Yahoo leagues and Jose LeClerc still owned in 58% of leagues?  Just because Chris Woodward phrased it as using him "in low leverage situations to get him back on track" rather than coming out and saying "LeClerc sucks.  He's never going to close for me again"  Seriously, what did you expect Woodward to say?

Martin is clearly the closer now (especially with Kelley on the DL) and as long as Martin continues to do well like he has so far this year, he's going to remain the closer.  Managers don't remove closers who are doing well.  And even if Martin does struggle, I think Kelley is the better speculative add for saves because I doubt LeClerc will earn the closer's role back.  Just look at his outing on Thursday.  If the Rangers sent LeClerc down to the minors and told him he had to go 5 straight innings without walking anyone to get called back up, we'd literally never see LeClerc in the majors again.

50 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I don't understand.   Why is Chris Martin only owned in 28% of Yahoo leagues and Jose LeClerc still owned in 58% of leagues?  Just because Chris Woodward phrased it as using him "in low leverage situations to get him back on track" rather than coming out and saying "LeClerc sucks.  He's never going to close for me again"  Seriously, what did you expect Woodward to say?

Martin is clearly the closer now (especially with Kelley on the DL) and as long as Martin continues to do well like he has so far this year, he's going to remain the closer.  Managers don't remove closers who are doing well.  And even if Martin does struggle, I think Kelley is the better speculative add for saves because I doubt LeClerc will earn the closer's role back.  Just look at his outing on Thursday.  If the Rangers sent LeClerc down to the minors and told him he had to go 5 straight innings without walking anyone to get called back up, we'd literally never see LeClerc in the majors again.

50% of yahoo cbs and espn teams are probably dead or rarely managed teams.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

There’s millions of reasons that Leclerc will be closing again, even if they had a strong candidate to take the role from him. Martin isn’t a strong candidate. 

LeClerc's terrible contract is the only reason it's even a discussion.  

I agree Martin's career numbers are not good, but he has been solid this year and a closer's job (pitching 1 inning with the bases empty and a 2 or 3 run lead) is not a particular hard job.  If Martin continues to pitch decently, normally managers won't make a change, adhering to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy. 

I will agree with you that Martin, given his career numbers, may blow his opportunity.  Where I completely disagree with you though is that LeClerc will do well enough to earn back Woodward's trust where he would be a closing option if Martin blows his opportunity.  LeClerc has a career 6.16 BB/9.  It's not just an isolated struggle this year.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, David Aames said:

Why would Kelly be out of the role because of injury? isnt he back soon?

The role wasn't necessarily Kelley's. He had a save and Martin had a save between Leclerq's demotion to setup role and Kelley's trip to the IL. Speculation was on Kelley's side because he had better numbers, but he and Martin each got a save opp. And in the off-chance Martin reels off 2-3 clean saves before Kelley returns, it's doubtful that Woodward would give him the role over Martin...if Martin proves capable. Or he can mix-match, using Kelley against the better parts of an opponent's lineup in the last couple of innings with a lead. 

54 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

LeClerc's terrible contract is the only reason it's even a discussion.  

I agree Martin's career numbers are not good, but he has been solid this year and a closer's job (pitching 1 inning with the bases empty and a 2 or 3 run lead) is not a particular hard job.  If Martin continues to pitch decently, normally managers won't make a change, adhering to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy. 

I will agree with you that Martin, given his career numbers, may blow his opportunity.  Where I completely disagree with you though is that LeClerc will do well enough to earn back Woodward's trust where he would be a closing option if Martin blows his opportunity.  LeClerc has a career 6.16 BB/9.  It's not just an isolated struggle this year.  

3.7M per year isn't that bad of a contract. If he doesn't get his walks under control then any contract is bad, but if he gets back to what he did last year then that's a steal. He's only 25 so him improving his command last year and just going through a rough patch currently, isn't out of the question. I'm stashing him anywhere I can, especially with the Rangers looking to be better than preseason projections. Not good by any means, but not a league doormat. 

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, David Aames said:

Why would Kelly be out of the role because of injury? isnt he back soon?

Why would you think he’ll be back soon? He literally just went on the DL with an infection no one has the details on. And he was a backup closer with his own checkered injury past to begin with? He was grossly overbid across the board imo.

2 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

There’s millions of reasons that Leclerc will be closing again, even if they had a strong candidate to take the role from him. Martin isn’t a strong candidate. 

reason #1: C. Martin has no mound presence