oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

11 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

nah, I am not biting again... ūüôā

That's because you know asking him to throw in less than ideal circumstances is a sacrilege against the almighty.  Finally, they are using him correctly! 

9th inning check

3 run lead or less   check

no more than 12 total pitches check

no fewer than 4 fast balls and no more than 8 fast balls check

Mars is in retrograde   check

the full moon is no more than 3 days from peaking     check

...then it's Iglesias time, baby!

Edited by AHF
  • Haha 7

dont think its really been discussed but who are some closers we think are dealt this season?

I saw some talking about Wil smith with Moronta being the stash there but hes been getting hit recently anyway

curious what the general feeling is for trade deadline season 2019

3 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

dont think its really been discussed but who are some closers we think are dealt this season? 

I'm too lazy to post sources but I think you can bet on Smith+Watson moving as a pair. Greene should be dealt as well. Destinations would most likely be the Cubs or the Braves, possibly the Brewers, keeping in mind that Kimbrell is still out there as well. 

I don't particularly like speculating on the remaining RP in SF or DET because Moronta has slipped as of late and the Giants will probably be cute and use Melancon at least initially, and Jiminez has a career ERA of 5.82.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

If Hunter Strickland comes back in early/mid June, think he'll slide back into the saves role?

Since nobody can seem to claim the roll, no doubt he will be given the opportunity and see what happens

9 hours ago, AHF said:

That's because you know asking him to throw in less than ideal circumstances is a sacrilege against the almighty.  Finally, they are using him correctly! 

9th inning check

3 run lead or less   check

no more than 12 total pitches check

no fewer than 4 fast balls and no more than 8 fast balls check

Mars is in retrograde   check

the full moon is no more than 3 days from peaking     check

...then it's Iglesias time, baby!

You mock now, but just you wait till this guy throws a flawless 4 innings next year.

7 hours ago, jseay65 said:

I'm too lazy to post sources but I think you can bet on Smith+Watson moving as a pair. Greene should be dealt as well. Destinations would most likely be the Cubs or the Braves, possibly the Brewers, keeping in mind that Kimbrell is still out there as well. 

I don't particularly like speculating on the remaining RP in SF or DET because Moronta has slipped as of late and the Giants will probably be cute and use Melancon at least initially, and Jiminez has a career ERA of 5.82.

Alex Colome could be another trade candidate. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

If Hunter Strickland comes back in early/mid June, think he'll slide back into the saves role?

If he has no problems, sooner than later. That pen has been a mess. 

I think Ken Giles’ name will come up a lot at the trade deadline. He’s arb eligible for one more year next year, then becomes a free agent. Whether a contending team is willing to trust him pitching high leverage innings in meaningful late season games is another question.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

I think Ken Giles’ name will come up a lot at the trade deadline. He’s arb eligible for one more year next year, then becomes a free agent. Whether a contending team is willing to trust him pitching high leverage innings in meaningful late season games is another question.

Good points. I don't know if teams would be more inclined to trust the likes of a Will Smith or Shane Greene over a Ken Giles, though. It makes me wonder what types of returns these teams will even get with closers being so volatile these days. Beside the point but still.

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1

Alvarado in for the save chance in the 9th. About time. :)

And he promptly gives up a HR... 

Just let one rip for 101 mph though.

Edited by nlm

Gonna be tempting to rage drop Alvarado if he blows what feels like his first save op in a decade.

• Like 1

Jose "Avocado"in 

Just now, Finisher said:

Gonna be tempting to rage drop Alvarado if he blows what feels like his first save op in a decade.

He's too good to rage drop, but boy would that be disappointing for me right now.

Man, Alvarado is nasty. I really wish the job was just his to own and he had some leash with it... He hits 100 with ease, and has such nasty breaking stuff. +From the left side.

Spikes two pitches... unreal.

Alvarado had multiple save opportunities taken away with late runs being scored. 

Finally gets a chance and does this......

Thank god I have stud 9th inning only closer Iglesias. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lukeness Monster does it again.  Which is strange because weren’t the Braves up 12-1?  I will not be investigating the box score, but all praises due to Luke Jackson!  AJ Minter is stuffing his face with twinkies right now, feeling miserable.

I lied.  I investigated the box score.  Josh Tomlin and Johnny Venters made it all possible.  I appreciate your contributions.

• Haha 1