oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

2 hours ago, thefamily79 said:

What are the consensus thoughts of the forum on the save prospects of Jeffress?

"Consensus" in this thread?  You got to be kidding.

• Haha 4

Roto blurb on Luke Jackson is laughable 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Roto blurb on Luke Jackson is laughable 

Luke Jackson blew his third save of the season by allowing a run in the ninth against the Brewers on Saturday.

This could have been worse; Jackson had the bases loaded with one out after he gave up the tying run, but he was able to fan the next two hitters to keep the game tied. That being said, he created that damage, and he’s now a not-so-nice six-for-nine in save chances in 2019. Jackson has been mostly solid in 2019, but he’s far from an elite closing option. It’s worth pointing out that Craig Kimbrel is a free agent.

what is wrong with what was said? Jackson gave up 2 hits and a walk, along with 1 run to blow the save. he has 6 saves and 3 blown saves.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

what is wrong with what was said? Jackson gave up 2 hits and a walk, along with 1 run to blow the save. he has 6 saves and 3 blown saves.

Nothing really. Kimbrel had been lurking in the shadows for a while 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

If you actually watched the game the blurb IS laughable. He hit Hiura, K’d Thames, then the two hits he gave up should have both been double plays to end the game. Incredibly ridiculously lucky lol. I don’t own him either but I definitely am today. And the reason the bases got loaded was because the IBB to Yelich after the crazy hits. Go back and watch that half of the ninth and see if the tone in the blurb matches what you see. So instead of saying “this could have been worse” it should say “it should have been better.” 

He was also sitting at no lower than 96 after incredibly high usage after the last week and a half. If leaguemates are influenced by the blurb I’d be trying to get him now. 

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2019 at 5:24 PM, nlm said:

Good points. I don't know if teams would be more inclined to trust the likes of a Will Smith or Shane Greene over a Ken Giles, though. It makes me wonder what types of returns these teams will even get with closers being so volatile these days. Beside the point but still.

Will Smith is an excellent pitcher.   Any team would be thrilled to have him. 

With Shawn Kelley likely coming back tomorrow, how likely is it that Martin goes back to being the second man? I think it was a committee even when Kelley was active so I'm not so sure.

7 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Ha, Neshek again.

I think it’s safe to assume Neris is unavailable today after back to back outings, including two innings yesterday. Neris is still the closer*

* subject to Kapler’s computer 

• Like 3

So Workman has leap frogged Brasier in Cora’s circle of trust?

Leclerc looked great again.  Had it all working for 2 innings (5th and 6th) with 5Ks.  If Texas can put some runs on this inning he might be in line for a win.

• Like 1

Well at least Martin gave me a save before being demoted tomorrow 

Right? 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, Martin blew it.  11 pitch AB if that makes you feel any better.

Couldn't have drawn it up any better if you're a Leclerc owner though.

Edited by Lebanasty

Gonna make Leclerc's bid for reclaiming that job even bigger.

How much more do you guys think it takes for Leclerc to get a look in the 9th again? As a po'd Chris Martin (& Leclerc) owner, rage dropping the former is so tempting. Still wondering though... Leclerc has looked really good spanning his last 9 or 10 ip.

Is the Brasier era over in Boston, he's given up runs in his last 3 outing and doesn't look good at all

1 minute ago, azeri98 said:

Is the Brasier era over in Boston, he's given up runs in his last 3 outing and doesn't look good at all

I am ready to dump and pick up workman...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

If you actually watched the game the blurb IS laughable. He hit Hiura, K’d Thames, then the two hits he gave up should have both been double plays to end the game. Incredibly ridiculously lucky lol. I don’t own him either but I definitely am today. And the reason the bases got loaded was because the IBB to Yelich after the crazy hits. Go back and watch that half of the ninth and see if the tone in the blurb matches what you see. So instead of saying “this could have been worse” it should say “it should have been better.” 

He was also sitting at no lower than 96 after incredibly high usage after the last week and a half. If leaguemates are influenced by the blurb I’d be trying to get him now. 

Exactly. He actually pitched quite well aside from the HBP. 

Made Braun look downright foolish with that wicked 90mph slider of his.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

I am ready to dump and pick up workman...

I dumped Brasier and picked up Workman in all three leagues I’m in as soon as I saw he got the save - writing has been on the wall and if I’m wrong....oh well

• Like 1

Looking at Workman... Wow he gives up a lot of walks!

8 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Looking at Workman... Wow he gives up a lot of walks!

Doesnt give up many hits and k’s alot of men

So, how close is Leclerc to returning to the ninth inning? 

“He’s real close,” manager Chris Woodward said.

The Leclerc who pitched Sunday is the Leclerc the Rangers had in mind when they gave him a four-year, $14.75 million contract extension in spring training.

He struck out the first four batters he faced, beginning with native Texan and perennial All-Star Paul Goldschmidt, and ended the outing by striking out Fowler after Yadier Molina flied out.

Leclerc looked like he belongs in the ninth inning again, as he did working the first inning Friday as the opener for Adrian Sampson. He was really good May 12 at Houston.

In his past three appearances covering 4 1/3 innings, Leclerc has retired all 13 hitters. Ten of the outs have been strikeouts. 

Woodward, though, wants to see more and more consistency from Leclerc. His pitches need to continue to look the same coming out of his hand, and opposing hitters need to continue to look lost at the plate.

Besides, the role Leclerc can fill now as a use-him-anytime reliever has value. The Rangers don’t get to the ninth inning with a lead if he doesn’t cool off the Cardinals the way he did in the middle innings.

But he will be closing again.

“It’s a really good outing for him, clearly,” Woodward said. “I think that’s a huge step for him moving forward. That’s the guy we saw last year. That’s the closer eventually.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2